Fast flash!!

Charlesbusa

Used to be a SoCal Busa
Donating Member
Registered
I have 2 separate brake light LEDs and 2 rear turn signal LEDs. Brake light LEDs are integrated with the rear turn signal LEDs. Stock front turn signal bulbs.

I tried a 20w10ohm resistor in series on the power wire for the rear turn signal. No change in flash rate.

Then I tried 2 20w10ohm resistors in series, which should be equal to one 20w20ohm resistor on the power wire for the rear turn signal. No change in flash rate.

Does anyone know how many ohms I need for standard flash rate? OR how many ohms in the stock flasher circuit?

Thanks,
Charles

Hey homes,

ok try connecting your resistors across the two led contacts, so in parallel. Right across the power at the leds. series is TOO MUCH resistance. parallel is halfing the resistance. Which is actually adding to it. Thats why they need to be 10 or 20 watts thick. Your controlling the current to them.

Also depends on exactly what you have.

you have a seperate "bulb" socket w/leds for a brake light/tail light, and a seperate "bulb" socket for turn signals. Any integrators being used?

JD

Hey homes,

ok try connecting your resistors across the two led contacts, so in parallel.  Right across the power at the leds.  series is TOO MUCH resistance.  parallel is halfing the resistance.  Which is actually adding to it.  Thats why they need to be 10 or 20 watts thick.  Your controlling the current to them.

Also depends on exactly what you have.

you have a seperate "bulb" socket w/leds for a brake light/tail light, and a seperate "bulb" socket for turn signals.  Any integrators being used?

JD
Yes, I have four sockets, 2 for my brake light LEDs and 2 for my turn signal LEDs.

I am using an integrator so my brake lights flash with my turn signals. However at the moment, with the brake lever "on", the brake light and turn signal flash opposite. With brake lever "off", they flash together.

I did connect one 20w10ohm resistor directly to the LED turn signal's contact(the power contact), but flash rate was still fast.  But I only tried one side at a time, ie I only played around with the right side.

Should I do the left and right side at the same time?  I thought they were separate circuits.

Thanks JD, the electrical stuff is never simple
tounge.gif

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1145071855 -->

You will want 2 - 10 ohm resistors; one for each (left and right).

Like JD said, you will need to connect them in parallel with the turn signal wires.

One side of each resistor will get connected to ground, the other side will goto the POSITIVE wire of the LED turn signal light.

PS - these puppies will get
hot.gif
Make sure that you don't have them laying on plastic...

<!--EDIT|omslaw
Reason for Edit: None given...|1145072801 -->

Here's a my wiring diagram if it helps.

Any ideas why;
with brake lever "on", brake LED and turn signal LED flash opposite.
with brake lever "off", brake LED and turn signal LED flash together.

Thanks guys for the help.

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1145122823 -->

circuitdiagram.jpg

Like JD said, you will need to connect them in parallel with the turn signal wires.

One side of each resistor will get connected to ground, the other side will goto the POSITIVE wire of the LED turn signal light.
Ahhh, I get it now, I didn't try that.

So one side of the resistor is attached to the power side and the other side to the ground side.

Duh, just like a bulb.....
blush.gif

OK, I feel dumb now!!
wow.gif

Yup.  Give it a shot and let us know!
Definately.

Any ideas on the flashing opposite and flashing together problem??
sounds like the way it is wired to the intergrator is wired up to your blinkers and brake lights is causing the opposite flashing... i'm kind of tired and i just got done teaching the master caution and warning system to 9 new air force recruits so my brain is a bit mushed right now... i'll sleep on it and think of it in the morning unless someone has beat me to it...  

if hooking up the resistor doesn work that way then try putting it in series with your grounds... it also helps to know how much current draw is on your circuit so you know what resistors you need to get the effect (load) your looking for.

<!--EDIT|TSgt
Reason for Edit: None given...|1145079132 -->

Thanks guys!!   The resistor installed properly,
tounge.gif
, made all the difference.

No more fast flash and no more opposite flash.  Thanks for the help.

Only one other question, and I'll start a different thread for it  
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1145123214 -->

Back