Signals Flashing Too Fast after LED Install?

Hey Rev..... The reason for me doing it this way was two fold.... Make the flasher a cheaper part to replace, as it will not be incorporated with something else (side stand interrupt). Secondly, one of the resons for going to LED's, besides the obvious increase in visibility, was because they draw so little on the electrical system. If you add a resistor to reduce the flash rate, you'll be loosing that gain. One incandescent bulb will draw about 10 amps to initially light the filament and about 3-5 amps to keep it lit. LED's only draw about 30 mA...that's .3 amps. May not seem like alot, but it might just increase the charging system life by a small amout. And with the amount of repairs i've had lately I don't need any more!!! I didn't check on the price for the OE flasher, but the automotive one was only a couple of dollars.
I gotcha. I wasn't really thinking of the load involved and any potential benefit. I am familiar with LEDs low power consumption and other benefits though.

I've got ideas for all kinds of LED projects and applications.

Rev

Hey Rev..... I have alot of LED's in the works as well. I've just finished installing 5 UV led's in my headlight and 3 under the nose filler panel pointing down at the front fender. I've got some pics of how they look but because the LED's are true ultravoilet they show up in a pic as blue.... But you can get the idea. When I get back home I will post some of the pics and how I did them in. Still have more to install in the fairing openings and in the undertail once i get it!

Little update to this walk through..... The signal flasher I used here may not work if you have changed to LED's front and rear. There may not be enough of a draw to close the contacts in the flasher. I'm going to try a solid state flasher ( 3 terminal ) and advise on the outcome.... Sorry 'bout this one

Glad to see that one person has made use of this.
smile.gif

But its easier to just plug 10 ohm 25 watt resistors in. Both positives to one side, the negative to the other and im done.

Wow, old post. I almost spit my milk out when I saw Creekboys name on the thread!

I am looking into installing LEDs into the front fairings (just for the glow).. could I tap into one of these terminals as a 12 volt source only?

Thanks for the blinker MOD, about to install the undertail when I get back and I will need this.

Just did this mod on my ride, but I wound up using a 552 flasher & hooked it to the light blue & brown. (I tried the orange/green, but it didn't work; I guess that the wiring differs from year to year)

Back