sight listing GOOD foods?

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
with my new life, I'm altering my diet drastically. years ago, my diet consisted of a list of GOOD FOODS, and the stuff in the list *I* enjoyed eating. It turned into my grocery list and I was fit and trim ever since. Then I went through an "eat out only" thang for a few years. now I wanna get back on track with the latest best stuff.

Now I'm seeking the NEW list of foods that are good for you. Anyone know of any place that lists that kind of stuff?

This seems like an okay starting point
http://www.mypyramid.gov/mypyramid/index.aspx

Here's What to Include on Your Healthy Grocery List
Fresh vegetables and fruits should make up the largest part of your healthy foods grocery list. Vegetables and fruits have vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and they are usually low in calories. We all need at least 5 to 9 servings of vegetables and fruits every day to choose a variety of fruits and vegetables that everyone in your family will enjoy.
Most of your grain and cereal products should be made from whole grains, not from refined flours. This part of your list includes whole grain breads, whole grain pastas, and whole grain breakfast cereals. Whole grains are important for vitamins, minerals, and for fiber, which is often lacking in modern diets. Read labels to look for "100 whole grain" or "100 whole wheat" to be sure you are getting whole grain products.
Your protein and meat choices should consist mostly of fish, poultry and lean meats. Eggs, nuts, seeds and legumes are also good protein choices. Choose fresh and frozen unbreaded meats and fish. Avoid breaded, deep-fried convenience foods that you put in the oven. They are high in fats and sodium.
Beverages should be kept simple. Water, low fat milk, juices and herbal teas are all good choices. If you choose soft drinks, choose diet sodas and soft drinks to avoid extra sugar.
Dairy products should include low fat milk, yogurt and cheese. If you do not want cows' milk, choose soy and rice beverages, calcium fortified orange juice, or goats' milks and cheese.
Be careful with dressings, cooking oils and condiments. They are sneaky sources of refined sugar and poor quality oils. Read labels to choose dressings made with olive oil, canola oil or walnut oil. Choose low fat mayonnaise for your sandwiches and choose canola oil and olive oil for cooking.
Frozen foods are a convenient way to keep vegetables on hand. There are also prepared meals that you can pop into the microwave or oven. These can be convenient and healthy if you choose low fat versions with good portion sizes. Read labels and chose frozen foods wisely. Avoid frozen pizzas, pocket-sandwiches, deep-fried appetizers, and breaded foods.
Foods in cans and jars are also very convenient. Look for low-sodium soups, vegetables and sauces. Avoid high fat gravies and high calorie foods like canned spaghetti and ravioli products.
For sandwiches, choose peanut butter or other nut butters, low fat turkey slices or sliced roast beef. Avoid processed lunch meats, sausages and hot dogs.
Don't load up on high calorie treats and desserts. Choose fresh fruits, healthy nuts, seeds and whole grain crackers for snacks.

This wont help bet dont they look tasty.  Rice Krispy treats, dipped in chocolate thrice
super.gif
Wifey makes them and sells them on Egay

ebay__Small_.jpg

Those will mess up any diet real quick!
smile.gif
Mmmmmmmm...eGay LOL
biggrin.gif

I've always wondered, how many actually EAT as many servings as recommended every day? I don't think I could do it even if I tried! I'm way off the pyramid...probably hanging out with the sphinx at this point...

(VaBusa @ Jan. 30 2007,16:25) Those will mess up any diet real quick!  
smile.gif
 Mmmmmmmm...
Yeah but the ladies love chocolate. Valentines day is coming soon(hint,hint)

This is what I eat greg

6am: bananna and maybe a piece of healthy toast and low fat pb for breakfast

9am: 1 serving low fat cottage cheese & a low fat yogurt

12pm: turkey sandwich on healthy wheat bread.

3pm: 1 serving low fat cottage cheese & a low fat yogurt or a bananna

6pm: something low fat & low sodium, chicken breast & veggies, stir fry, fajitas.

I do the eliptical for 20-30 min before work in the morning. I've lost 8 lbs in 2.5 weeks.
super.gif

heheheh eliptical's rock! i was set to get one before my setback, and hope to in the future!

sounds like a good diat plan Travis! that is all on my foods list already
smile.gif

except the veggies! yech! h ahhahaha

Geezzzzzz, says I should eat 2400 cals per day. Man if I did that, I would blow up like a Bull Frog  
SHOCKED.gif

(heavybusa @ Jan. 30 2007,21:51) Dont forget this diet

DSC04279.jpg
Who is that sexy, fat man there?

PS, my diet is changing to a higher protein, less McD's, healthier eating style.

(WWJD @ Jan. 30 2007,08:38) heheheh eliptical's rock! i was set to get one before my setback, and hope to in the future!

smile.gif

get a cheap elliptical. I bought a cheeeeeeeep one from the john deere swap sheet for $20. Not as fancy as the more expensive ones but it works for what I need it for.
biggrin.gif

oh yeah and I do the diet plan 6 days a week and have WHATEVER I want on sundays. Go eat Macdonalds, pizza hut, whatever you want. Eat cookies or icecream.... gives your body a reward for being so diligent thru out the week

(fstbusa @ Jan. 31 2007,04:50)
(WWJD @ Jan. 30 2007,08:38) heheheh eliptical's rock! i was set to get one before my setback, and hope to in the future!

smile.gif

get a cheap elliptical. I bought a cheeeeeeeep one from the john deere swap sheet for $20. Not as fancy as the more expensive ones but it works for what I need it for.
biggrin.gif
i agree. the $1000 ones did nothing better than the $300 ones except be bigger in size and weight. I found one with less bicycle leg motion, more sliding which is good for MY knees. I'll get that one soon.

just by totally redoing my diet, I've lost 5 lbs already and am consistantly keep it off. I'd like to hit 160-170 range.

what do you weigh now??

from pigging out this winter I was up to 196.....
SHOCKED.gif

already down to 183.

Hope to get into the low 170s.

just want to add-make sure to check YOUR BMI(body mass index) and see what YOUR specific caloric intake should be....on days where you sit around-dont need to eat as much, but on active days?-you may need even more than what is listed.
When you over-work your muscles (ie:hard work...not typing w/one hand n holding a heavy coffe mug FULL OF CROWN ROYAL w/the other-that dont count....GREG!
all_coholic.gif
) they begin to burn thru nutrients faster-n calories-so small portions help this process along too...the "scheduled diet" thing is hard to do, but if you can follow it, I gaurentee just by lowering portions size n spreading the food out over more time??? you will lose unwanted fat. Add to that a nice excercise plan-be it running, elliptical, machines or free weights; you will definitely be on the road to better health!
super.gif

take some before n after shots-its a great motivator to see what you can accomplish in just one month!

I can stick to the diet fairly easily because I work in an office so I'm behind my computer most of the time. When I do get a chance to get out I'm ususally not gone that long.

Back