Sight Glass Leak

celticBandit

Registered
Hey Guys, I noticed that I've been losing a little oil over the past couple of months. Last night I noticed that there was some fresh oil around the sight glass in the clutch cover side.

Has anyone else had their sight glass leak, if so, how easy/hard is it to fix.
Are we talking new clutch cover?
:banghead:

WOW, i've never heard of this problems before. I look forward to hear what others have to say. I hope it will not cost you much.

:bump: again cuz I have also wondered if and when what do you do ?
How much is a new cover just to be easy in your mind ?

A new cover is $173 on Bikebandit. Saw one on ebay for £25 but who knows the quality. From the fiche it looks like the sight glass is not accessible from the inside. Anyway, the leak isn't bad enough to warrant a new cover, but I was just wondering if anyone had this before and if there was an easy fix.

Someone on Biker.ie suggested I put Silicone sealer on it, but I would be sceptical of that. It probably wouldn't stick with the oil and heat anyway.

A new cover is $173 on Bikebandit. Saw one on ebay for £25 but who knows the quality. From the fiche it looks like the sight glass is not accessible from the inside. Anyway, the leak isn't bad enough to warrant a new cover, but I was just wondering if anyone had this before and if there was an easy fix.

Someone on Biker.ie suggested I put Silicone sealer on it, but I would be sceptical of that. It probably wouldn't stick with the oil and heat anyway.

If you're worried about the silicone not sticking due to the oil, just drain the oil so there's no pressure behind it, clean it with some brake clean or something similar and then put the silicone around it. Not the fix I would do, simply because I'm a "do it right or don't do it at all" kind of person.

You could try some clear gasket sealant from any auto store and see if that will fix it. I would lightly spread it around the edges were the glass meet the cover. Should be okay once you let it set.

If you order a replacement oil level lens, it comes with a replacement grommet.

If you are going to remove the cover to re-seal the lens (which can be done using an automotive RTV), you may as well replace the lens and grommet. It will actually be quicker to replace the lens/grommet, as the RTV sealants usually advise at least 12 hours of curing time before use. If you pop in a new lens/grommet, you will be ready to go right away.

Thats what you get for parking next to a Harley.:laugh:

I have an aftermarket two piece quick access clutch cover. JB weld was used to seal the glass against the cover. No leaks ever.

coverside.jpg

Thanks guys, that's put my mind at ease. I'll keep an eye on it for the time being and order a new lens/grommet if it gets any worse.

Back