moisture in oil sight glass? plz help

crunk70

Registered
i am looking to buy a 2005 busa from a local guy. the bike has about 15 k on it. when i went to look the bike over before buying and cranked it i noticed the oil light was fickering on and off. i looked at the sight glass and it looked like it was white....so my first thought was that the oil had water in it which made it look milky. but the closer i looked i noticed there was no oil showing in the sight glass. i asked him to add some oil and he put in a whole quart. it still did not bring the oil level into the sight glass but as it was going down it did clean the inside of the sight glass off ( which told me the sight glass was fogged from the inside). he didnt have anymore oil to add so im not sure how low it was, maybe a quart and a half or so. my question to you tech guys is this.....what caused the sight glass to fog on the inside. and why would a 2005 busa be that low on oil (didnt see any leaks or smoking). and how big of a concern is this? should i steer clear of this deal? and p.s. the engine ran smooth with no knocking or clanging.....any advice or tech info would be greatly appreciated. also does anyone know what it would cost to rebuild this engine if it came down to that?

normally i wouldnt have considered it, but the guy only wants 4500....and thats with a full yoshi 4-1 and a pc 3......this is the reason im still considering whether or not to take the risk on the fact that the engine is ok.

Welcome aboard.
:welcome:

If the guy wasn't caring enough to add the oil before he showed you the bike, what else has he done/not done to it?
IMO stay away. There are lots of deals out there.

i am looking to buy a 2005 busa from a local guy. the bike has about 15 k on it. when i went to look the bike over before buying and cranked it i noticed the oil light was fickering on and off. i looked at the sight glass and it looked like it was white....so my first thought was that the oil had water in it which made it look milky. but the closer i looked i noticed there was no oil showing in the sight glass. i asked him to add some oil and he put in a whole quart. it still did not bring the oil level into the sight glass but as it was going down it did clean the inside of the sight glass off ( which told me the sight glass was fogged from the inside). he didnt have anymore oil to add so im not sure how low it was, maybe a quart and a half or so. my question to you tech guys is this.....what caused the sight glass to fog on the inside. and why would a 2005 busa be that low on oil (didnt see any leaks or smoking). and how big of a concern is this? should i steer clear of this deal? and p.s. the engine ran smooth with no knocking or clanging.....any advice or tech info would be greatly appreciated. also does anyone know what it would cost to rebuild this engine if it came down to that?

Probably just condensation from it being winter and the bike sitting and not being ridden...this in itself would not scare me away....BUT the oil being low enough that the light would flicker...AND this is a bike for sale. RUN!!!! What other ways has this bike been abused!!!!!!!

I would not buy it. However, if you are dead set on it, start it and see how it runs, if she smokes, walk away.

I'd like to see the oil (after) he changes it in your presence, if you're that interested (and) he's that anxious to sell, it might be worth it. At 15,000 miles, there isn't much maintenance to do other than maybe run the valves and change the air filter right? Buying a bike with those miles on it, you'd have that stuff checked anyway. May be a good deal, with only condensation on the sight glass, helped by being down a quart or so. Why it was down is a mystery though, having 27,000 on my 06 and never having to add oil. Good luck!

A 4-1 and a pc usually aren't added if it's intended to be ridden easy and if the owner isn't putting oil in (especially when trying to sell it) tells me it took healthy neglected beating. Ask for maintenance records ???, $4500 for a well maintained Busa :please:, I say enter at your own risk.

Probably just condensation from it being winter and the bike sitting and not being ridden...this in itself would not scare me away....BUT the oil being low enough that the light would flicker...AND this is a bike for sale. RUN!!!! What other ways has this bike been abused!!!!!!!

I feel the same...

i would beware of it !! but like cbxrider stated , i would ask to see the oil changed why i was there and check for bearing material. because if the oil light was on it could have a bad bearing. to rebuild if it does have one is expensive . but good luck:thumbsup:

normally i wouldnt have considered it, but the guy only wants 4500....and thats with a full yoshi 4-1 and a pc 3......this is the reason im still considering whether or not to take the risk on the fact that the engine is ok.

$4500? looks like he is letting it go pretty cheap, red flag!
i would not buy it.

Run away. There are plenty of deals in this economy, taking a chance on that bike is a big mistake. (IMHO) :whistle:

dun run away from gd deal 1st, maybe u would wan to pay for the EO change and when u see that the EO pour out is not even near 2.5btl empty btl.

as what all said... RUN Away from this prob.

oh btw, as some mention. EO will not show when it is on the side stand. it must be seen from at 90 deg and nt main stand.

gd luck :D

Back