RIS designs clear clutch cover

papi_ocho

Registered
Picked up a clear clutch cover from pashnit a while back for a great price. Couldn't pass it up

uploadfromtaptalk1318637614213.jpg

It's been nothing but trouble since I got it.

Alignment was off just a hair had to install it without one of the guides.

Sight glass doesn't seal by itself. Needs silicon after you cut it out of the old cover. Sure enough the sucker leaked. It wasnt bad, so I didn't fix it

Glass windows started lacking out of no where. Opened it up, cleaned it, resealed all of it. A OK-for a little while.

Recently glass has been leaking, stress fractures at the screw holes. I'm in there doing chain sprockets plugs deep cleaning the frame. I figure lets call the company and see what kind of silicone they are using to best seal this thing.

The guy says "it's what"

Me "the glass is leaking"

The guy "email me your name address phone number bike info to me, and I'm sending you new redesigned glass with improved o-rings"

Me O_O "really just like that"

Guy "yup"

uploadfromtaptalk1318639372885.jpg

2 days later this shows up.

Awesome!

First impressions: the glass is thicker. The original glass had the ris logo etched on the lower glass, not the case with these. Not a deal breaker but it does look nice. Haven't compared the o-ring yet. But we will see this weekend.

Question: (i was so distracted by getting free glass that I forgot to ask again)

What silicone should I be using?

The application of it has to be pretty accurate since the sight glass it recessed in pretty deep(sausage fingers can hardly make it in there.) Also the lip the glass seals against isn't that wide. Accuracy is going to be key!

Sent from my super-duper wack tmobile device using tapatalk.

uploadfromtaptalk1318637614213.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1318639372885.jpg

I can't stand this company. Your best bet is to just stay away from these guys.

Well too little to late for that. I've had this cover for a year and a half or so. No clue where the original cover is but if I did, I still need silicone to reseal sight glass.

Anyone else? Ideas on type of silicone to use?

I would think this would work. Black to match the black paint of the cover.

rodi_2179_541887091.jpg

I have clear stator and clutch cover and i've used permatex ultrablack with no issues

That's what I picked up yesterday. Took my sweet A$$ time cleaning preping and installing. Let it sit over night with the intention of installing it today, but I might cure for afew days. The GF had other plans.

I don't know what's so cool about see through clutch and stator covers? Why would you want to count on glass holding your oil in. If that glass breaks while your in the middle of a corner an puts oil down, your screwed.

Theres "leaking" dripping oil on the ground, just standing, collecting into a puddle under the bike.

NOT good. Anyone riding like that is risking their own life and the lives of others.

Then theres "leaking" seeping oil. Can't really tell where it's coming from, collects road grime on the frame, engine, inside the plastics.

Thats the kind of leak I have/had. So minimal not really worth fixing during riding season.

I dropped my bike going down the driveway one day on the clutch side, the plexi glass didn't brake or crack any further than it already was. So I would call it pretty durable. The new glass seems even stronger

And why have a clear clutch?

Why not! It looks pretty sweet when it's running. Some have gone as far as painting the pressure plate. Looks even sicker!

I agree, there is something about looking at the internal working!!!! As far as the company, RIS designs, I am very impressed that they acknowledged the problem, found a solution, and then sent you the parts to make the repair. Most companies would call that an upgrade and try and sell you the new unit. If you have a chance, show your bike with the parts to get some ideas

Back