Can I cheat or do I have to change the oil?

wharthog3

Donating Member
Registered
Pushercg (Joseph) just sent me his clutch cover mod. Looks great and I want to put it in tonight.

My question is, I just changed the oil 100 miles ago and don't feel like draining it out.

How far over to the left do you think I have to lean the bike to not have the oil leak everywhere when I take the cover off? Is it even possible? I figure that since there isn't oil in the sight glass when the bike is on the kickstand, leaning it over a bit more will get it off the inside of the cover completely.

Opinions?

Thanks

Last edited:
Just drain out the oil into a clean container...do the mod and then dump the oil back in :beerchug:

I did mine just on the sidestand and not much came out.

Really, that's good news.

I did the stator cover last night, (well tried to but the BUSA cover I ordered ended up arriving as a GSXR cover so that will have to be done another day) and very little oil came out with the bike straight up and down.

I was planning on rigging up some straps to the rafters in the garage to lean it a bit more than just on the stand.

With the bike in gear it won't roll anywhere leaned over. Will just look a little redneck.:laugh:

I knew a guy who used two large beanbag chairs to lean his bikes onto when he worked on them. No drama and especially no scratches anywhere. They were quite cheap too.

Roll your bike up on a 8' 2x6, then let it over on the kick stand, this will give enough lean angle that 99% of your oil will stay in the cases. Just check it after replacing the cover, post up some pics when your done too:beerchug:

Yea don't bother with laying it down or anything. Just let it sit on the stand you should be fine. Had to take my cover off and on a bunch of times and did it that way with no oil coming out.

Back