Side Swiped by Soccer Mom

OB_Billy V

Registered
Well its 3:32 here it California and I just had a Brush with the reaper.A soccer Mom in a mint green minivan just turned into my lane with no warning!It was close enough for my right sholder to take off her driver side mirror at 80 mph.Her door brushed my right thigh but the bike took it very well and remained stable thank God!It never suprises me any more to see sh#t like this happen on California Highways. When I composed myself and slowed down to see who or what was driving the assault vehicle,I saw She still had Her cigarette in Her left hand and a Mc Donald's bag on Her lap!There was no damage to the bike or myself,and although I wanted to Kill Her, I didn't bother to pull Her over to explain what a stupid f#ckin move She just pulled! I think She knew by the look on my face. Be careful and be safe everyone. Billy V

I agree that California freeways are especially dangerous and agressive. Whenever I drive there from Phoenix, I am amazed at the difference. And we have crazy snowbirds here. Glad you are okay.

I was reading last month some news where a CHP bike officer was on a freeway shoulder working an accident, when a drunk driver was coming up on the scene from behind, in the emergency lane. The CHiP shoved the citizens out of the way, just before he got clipped up and over the drunk's hood. He recieved some injuries.
And isn't there a service in CA where you can receive a page whenever there's a chase, live on TV?
For that type of business to thrive, must be alot going on out there. I'd say ya'll be careful out there, too.

Anyone for a new traffic charge?

I'd call it "Inattentive Driving' and make it worth some stiff penalty. You'd get charged with "Inattentive Driving" for things like reading maps and newspapers while you're driving, eating while driving, removing a sweater or a pinchy brassiere while driving, recieving a blowjob while driving, applying lipstick while driving, yackin' on a cell handset, etc. etc. In the cop's discretion.

I'd be all for that.

I'll pay the fine for getting a blow job while driving. That brings back great memories of my vacation last year in Jamaica.

Dude...your lucky,be thankful.I had a broad come into my lane while she was putting on her makeup in her rearview.If I didn`t swerve I would have been a splat mark....oh how I wish I was driving an eighteen wheeler that day :)

Also glad to hear your ok Billy.Ive got to deal with farmers and tractors and muckspeader's etc. when I go for a long blast.
Theres nothing worse than leaning into a corner at speed and then seeing a big cows**t in front of you.Them things are lethal.And the farmers have this mentality were they reckon"i turn right here and everybody knows i do",and they'll pull straight out in front of you. MAD...

Thank You to all for your concern and support.I have been on 2 wheels since 1970 and have had my fair share of near misses throughout the Highways of the U.S. but California drivers travel at speeds that approach 90mph and don't signal their lane changes either.There are many flaws in the design and the construction of C.A Highways as well.The anti-skid surface with all those little grooves makes your bike track badly.The Highway (seems) that butt together make you feel like your on a bucking bronco and gives soo much helmet shake its hard to see.The entances and exits are about 100 yards apart, so everyone is making a big criss cross at high speeds when entering and exiting the roadway.Everyone who lives in C.A. knows about these problems,and some people drive with very good road manners,but to that extra special idiot out there,you know the one, the person who thinks they are the most important person on the road and drive with no regard for another humans life, be careful the life you save might be YOUR OWN! I'm taking the Kawie out for a nice long ride now,see you guys later. Billy V

Lyle, I use to live in Phila. Now in Va., less traffic here but folks consider the turn signals (indicators) an option on a car because they rarely use them. At least in Phila. drivers put thier signal on before they cut you off.

In Pennsylvania the Motor Vehicle Code calls it "Reckless Driving", a felony. Unfortunately an officer has to see it. Perhaps if you had multiple witnesses willing to go to court you might have a chance.

Pete, I think they have that one as a charge, in some places anyway. And if found guilty of inattentive driving as the cause of an accident, it is not a light infraction.

Glad to hear you came through okay, Billy. Always try to leave yourself a little fudge factor, some extra space and an out, just in case an inattentive idiot tries to kill you. It will happen, sooner or later. It goes with the territory.

For whatever it's worth I run with my high beam on at all times during the day to increase my visibility. If it irritates drivers in front of me that's fine, because it is much better than them forgetting I am back there. I never ride side by side with anything, and if I am wondering whether or not the driver knows I am around them as I overtake them, I simply honk my horn to make sure they are aware. I can wave if they are upset by the toot, but once again it is much better than to ASSUME they know I'm there! That's straight out of the Smith method defensive driving taught around the world. We have all been there when someone starts over into the lane and know how scary it can be. I bet I'm not the only one that's kicked a cars door when the horn still didn't get their attention, so some drivers need to be reminded more forcefully than others!

[This message has been edited by 201mph (edited 12 April 2000).]

Billy, why do you think I-805 is called the "Tijuana 500"?

Just remember the old fighter pilot's adage... "Speed is life". You have to get out of the way.

[This message has been edited by Mr Bear (edited 12 April 2000).]

Mr. Bear She tagged me on the 52 west bound between Regents Rd. and the entrance to the 5. I think people drive as fast as they can on this road because there are no hiding places at all for cops in the last 3 1/2 miles or so.I like the camera idea Cisco San Jose but it would be just my luck that I would become a highway pizza and some Chp. would come along and press the play button! The next thing you know. your on Real T.V.

Back