Mom had a mild stroke last weekend

TruWrecks

Banned
Last weekend I got a call from my dad asking me to call him back. I was on a ride when he called. He called me again a few minutes after I got home from my ride. My Mom was in the hosptial after having a mild stroke.

The doctor said my mom is doing well because she was brought in within the first 48hrs. My dad said he knew what was going on because my mom couldn't pronounce an s. The hospital discharged her after two days. They schedued a follow-up for her for this AM. I haven't gotten any word back yet how that went.

My mom has also opted for a DNR order. I can respect that. She doesn't want to be around if she can't have an active role in life. I have something similar in a living will.

Mom is feeling tired most of the time. Her speech is a bit slower than usual. She has a slight droop on the left side of her mouth. I talked to her for about 30 minutes today, and she is in good spirits.

Mom said her dogs were acting real clingy all day before her stroke. They knew something was wrong. I made her promise me that she would call her doctor or 911 if they start doing that again. She has a follow-up with her doctor tomorrow morning. My Dad is going to call me as soon as they're done at her doctor. I also let her know she can dial 911 by holding the "9" key on her cell phone until it dials. She will also be adding my Dad's and my cell phones to her speed dial list for numbers 3 and 6. That way she can hold down any key on the right-hand side of her phone and get help.

Mom's doctor has requested she doesn't drive and do anything stressfull for the time being. The company Mom works for has retired her to do phone work from home until further notice.

I'm torn about where to live. I'm going to be selling my house soon. I want to live closer to my parents so i can help them. I also have many friends in NW Washington that I want to be able to hang out and ride with. Family comes first, so I hope my friends will understand if I move closer to my parents house.

Lot's of things can happen in a very short time. Cherish what you have while you have the time.

Doug

Dang Doug. Sorry to hear this. I'm glad she got to the hospital so soon. It sounds like with the hand she just got dealt, she is doing pretty well. I hope you get to move closer. Prayers sent for your mom and family.

So sorry to hear that Tru. We just went through this with my really good friend, as close to sister as one can be without being blood, 5 months ago. She was 31 at the time.

It's hard to see, hard to deal with. At times it's frustrating because you want to help but there is nothing you can do. At other times there is so much you can do. But that's just my personal experience.

On the plus side, since she was taken in so quickly, the chances of recovery are significantly higher than if she had waited. My friend Christina was taken in within an hour of her stroke. There is almost no ill effects at this point. It does take time to recover, but the quickness with which she got to the hospital will make a huge difference.

I don't envy you having to make the choice between being close to family and staying where you are used to. It's kind of a lose lose situation. On the brightside, no matter what you choose you will be doing the right thing.

Support your mom, help her how you can, and always keep telling her she can do it. It's amazing what a little support can do in these situations.

Feel free to PM me or busawife if you want to chat about it. (although she will give you a novel... but probably knows more of the medical stuff)

Thanks everyone. It means a lot to me and my mom. I need to call my dad tonight to see how everything went today. The most frustrating part is that I can't fix it. I want to, but I can't.

Glad that your dad was quick to respond. It's tough when your parents start having health problems. Prayers sent.

Wow man, I am sorry to hear that. I have known many people to have strokes. Some fully recover, some do not. It depends on the severity of the stroke and the response time. They should be able to help her get back to closer to "normal" with therapy. Jefferycarman's friend (and mine too) still has some issues with getting tired and overwhelmed easily, but has recovered nicely because of her therapy.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

AND, I totally understand the move thing. We just had to make that same decision last year after Jefferycarman got out of the Navy. It is a hard choice, because both possibilities are good ones.

Will be praying!

Sorry to hear this. My prayers go out to your mom and the rest of the family.
May everything go her way and she is able to continue being the person she was before this. Just give her all of your love and support. Best wishes.:please:

Thanks again everyone.

I talked to my mom tonight. She has been medically retired for the next 4 weeks. Her doctor told her she can't drive during that time, and must have someone close to help her if she needs it. It's too early to tell the long term effects. My sister is having the toughest time with my mom's decision for a DNR. My mom doesn't want to live in a vegatative state.

Back