Should I do a track day?

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
I really want to do a course together with a track day, but there are some big obstacles.

1.) I'm a FOG, could be too late for me, last time on a track was in the 70's.

2.) No way I'm putting wires through my baby Busa and replacing the coolant without anti-freeze in it. She is simply too precious, probably also too big for the track.

3.) I can pick up a used Gizzer 750 and make it a track bike, but FOG's on 750 Gizzers may just be real weird?

4.) This started off with wanting to get custom new leathers, but now I'm not so sure.

5.) Lastly, dragging a knee at this stage, I can still ride my Colnago bicycle a 100 miles, and catch air with the dirt bike, but I'm a Virgin now, not sure if I can open my legs that wide? :whistle:

Sigh, what to do next?

Tufbusa is ancient and he does about 3 a week :thumbsup:

You don't have to wire up your bike for Novice or even intermediate.

Go out and do a novice day and see if you want to go futher.

I did my first track day this past weekend. I was a frickin bundle of nerves up to and during the first 2 sessions. But the instructors were good and dragged me along till i felt comfortable. Did i drag a knee? no, but i did go past my comfort level leaning over. Did i get my old butt as far off the seat as the younger guys? No, but i got off farther than i ever did.
Novice class lets you ride ur ride with very limited changes to your bike. All i needed to do was tape mirrors and lights. 2pc suit with 360 zipper, gaunlet gloves, helmet and good boots.
Do it...you'll be fine.

My instructor was 55 and ran a gixer 750. I'm 53. He had me up on his tail running the track with good lines in no time!

I cant wait till next year.

My piece of advice to you was handed down from Skydiver..excersize your legs before you go..do some squats. I will add: GET PLENTY OF REST THE DAY BEFORE!!!

Last edited:
Simple answer Yes, go for it.

I did my first track day about 10 days ago on my Busa. I’ve had several opportunities for training. I have been a MSF rider coach since 2004 (although not very actively in 08 and 09). I have been certified as a Air Force Sport bike class instructor. The track day was a very good experience for me to get a different point of view and to try different techniques in a controlled environment.

1) I’m almost 50 and there were several there older than me

2) Not required at many track in non-competition events. A roll of tape will take care of most of the requirements.

3) The 750 (or a SV650) would be a better choice for serious track days, but I ride the Busa so I wanted to improve my skills on the Busa. I’d love to get a track only bike.

4) Custom leathers would be cool. I just don’t have the $1300-2000 they cost. I’m wearing a $250 second hand set I bought in 2006. It is two piece with a full zipper. It has served me well drag racing 3 years. You will also need a good back protector, gloves, and boots.

5) Dragging the knees is optional. I didn’t even try.

You also have to take the risk of wiping out you bike and be willing to pick up the tab. There are very few circumstances where insurance will cover a crash at a track designed for high speeds and competition regardless of it being a “lapping day”.
I went out willing to take the risk but didn’t push my limits to increase my risk as much as some do. You will fatigue very fast, be aware of that.

SteveO told me a good isometric exercise to do in order to prepare for trackriding...

-place your back against the wall, and slide down until you thighs are parallel to the ground (kinda a squat); hold it as long as you can stand it (for me that's not very long); repeat 5-6 times a day. Doesn't take a sec to do, and I can already tell it's working!

My instructor was 55 and ran a gixer 750. I'm 53. He had me up on his tail running the track with good lines in no time!
DAY BEFORE!!!

Dang, your instructor was also an FOG!!! Makes me feel better.

I'm in NC, the closest course with track I can find here is in Danville VA, for novice they are OK with silicone on the plugs, wire around the filter and no anti-freeze. Not sure about the mirrors?

Any one know of other tracks within 250-300 miles of central NC?

My piece of advice to you was handed down from Skydiver..excersize your legs before you go..do some squats. I will add: GET PLENTY OF REST THE DAY BEFORE!!!

Good advice. I'll add hydrate yourself for a few days prior. Drink at least 32 oz more water than you normally do.

I checked with my insurance co. (state Farm) and they said i was covered, because what i was taking was an instructional motorcycle course. I received a certificate and everything just like an MSF course. :laugh: Not sure how i will be covered if i advance out of the instructional group, but i dont see that happening very soon! :laugh:

Your never too old to learn... I was amazed at the amount of anxiety I felt going to my first track day. I was afraid I was not going to be able to keep up, I was afraid I was going to do something wrong.. Remember that is what they have these classes for, they will walk you through the riding on the track, they are not going to take you out on the first session and tell you to "Give er Hell" they will walk you through the process.

You can't go wrong if you can swing the dollars... You can ride around a track with no debris, no cars, no pedestrians and practice your lines and riding skills. the track pace won't be running at 100mph either, believe it or not there are folks in that class you are probably a better rider than and many not quite as good...

I can personally tell you after doing 5 track days now that I am at least 100% better rider than what I was... I still have a long way to go and with the help of the more experienced riders I will start to pick at those things I need to do to be a great rider.

When people walk up to you that you haven't ridden with in a long time and tell you that your riding has improved that is a sign the track is working.... I have had 5 people over the past 6 months tell me that very thing... It's all because of the track and guys on this site looking at my vids and pics and telling me what I need to improve on.

I would love to have a track bike to play on, but I think the Busa is perfect because my whole intent was to become the best rider I could in a safe environment so that if I needed to pull a trick out of my bag I would have it. Riding the busa also keeps me from getting crazy and riding above my safety limit. Knowing that it would cost a lot of money to fix helps me keep my head on straight and to not get caught up in the testosterone wars on the track.

Go for it, ride your own line and have a good time with it...

cap

Last edited:
Your never too old to learn... I was amazed at the amount of anxiety I felt going to my first track day. I was afraid I was not going to be able to keep up, I was afraid I was going to do something wrong.. Remember that is what they have these classes for, they will walk you through the riding on the track, they are not going to take you out on the first session and tell you to "Give er Hell" they will walk you through the process.

You can't go wrong if you can swing the dollars... You can ride around a track with no debris, no cars, no pedestrians and practice your lines and riding skills. the track pace won't be running at 100mph either, believe it or not there are folks in that class you are probably a better rider than and many not quite as good...

I can personally tell you after doing 5 track days now that I am at least 100% better rider than what I was... I still have a long way to go and with the help of the more experienced riders I will start to pick at those things I need to do to be a great rider.

When people walk up to you that you haven't ridden with in a long time and tell you that your riding has improved that is a sign the track is working.... I have had 5 people over the past 6 months tell me that very thing... It's all because of the track and guys on this site looking at my vids and pics and telling me what I need to improve on.

I would love to have a track bike to play on, but I think the Busa is perfect because my whole intent was to become the best rider I could in a safe environment so that if I needed to pull a trick out of my bag I would have it. Riding the busa also keeps me from getting crazy and riding above my safety limit. Knowing that it would cost a lot of money to fix helps me keep my head on straight and to not get caught up in the testosterone wars on the track.

Go for it, ride your own line and have a good time with it...

cap

And you have your knee down too - jerk :moon: :laugh:

And you have your knee down too - jerk :moon: :laugh:

Keith I honestly don't think that you will recognize my riding when we get together in the spring... I feel so much more confidence in myself and the bike... All those unfounded worries that the bike was going to slide out from under me in a lean. I am by no means in the same league with Tufbusa, Raydog. Macon454 or uncle steve but I am absolutely a better rider today than even the last spring bash....

If a guy wants to do better and be a better rider he needs to find someone that does it better and listen... I have had the honor of being laughed at and mentored by some great guys... I just needed to listen....

cap

FYI that knee thing isnt really a big deal, it was just an obstacle in the way to be the rider that I want to be...

I remember the first week I was in martial arts... I was 8 yrs old... my instructor had us breaking boards that first week, after we all did it he said... Now that we have that out of the way lets learn some real martial arts....

We all wanted to break boards, we all wanted to be cool but we didnt understand that breaking the boards was the easiest part.... Control, practice and technique is what mattered in the end... Putting a knee down appears to have been the same thing..... I think I had my eye on the wrong goal...

cap

None of the reasons you give are serious. Bike prep is minimal, and the track is safer than the street (at least that's what everyone says), so if anything you need a different bike for the street, and devote the Busa to the track.

All prep and organizational issues aside, the track experience is something that every rider needs to experience. They key is to not try going fast (as many get sucked into), but simply enjoy riding while making a reasonable effort to improve. Turn it info fun and pleasure riding. Gains in speed come free, require no effort on your part and happen fully automatically. It's that dance of never ending turns and the feeling of three dimensional space you are flying through which can never be experienced on the street to such a degree.

After that, street riding will be boring and slow, which would make you safer on the street.

I checked with my insurance co. (state Farm) and they said i was covered, because what i was taking was an instructional motorcycle course. I received a certificate and everything just like an MSF course. :laugh: Not sure how i will be covered if i advance out of the instructional group, but i dont see that happening very soon! :laugh:

Was this a quick response from an agent? Sometimes the agent might not be knowledgeable about the subject and only think they are giving the correct response. When you file a claim everything changes.

I really need to look at my policy. Someone recently posted this on a State Farm answer. I'm not sure if that was on the policy or was a verbal answer they received.

The policy states that, "Riding on any track or road course specifically designed for high speed riding, the policy will not cover any damages."

I found this about in a forum about Allstate, so I don't know the accuracy.

As of October 2005 Allstate is not covering any kind of accident done on "any racing surface." This includes, but is not limited to, race track, auto-x event, paddock, drag strip, etc.

I'll try to drag out my policy tonight.

I'd recommend everyone do at least one trackday, lot to be learned from even that one.
If your planning on making a habit of them, a dedicated track bike is a good idea. Even a minor miscalculation with your Busa can be expensive I've found. And if your going to be serious about track riding, worrying about pranging your big $$ street bike is an automatic holdback.
But a novice group day, with a track class, can be done on your Busa comfortably, and do wonders for an everyday street rider.
Go for it.:thumbsup:

Yes Professor, that is what my Agent said. He knows his stuff pretty good and at the least he knows i'll kick his tushy and make HIM pay for my bike for giving me bad advice!:laugh:

Anyway you add it up, crashing is expensive. Parts are not free for track bikes.

Keith I honestly don't think that you will recognize my riding when we get together in the spring... I feel so much more confidence in myself and the bike... All those unfounded worries that the bike was going to slide out from under me in a lean. I am by no means in the same league with Tufbusa, Raydog. Macon454 or uncle steve but I am absolutely a better rider today than even the last spring bash....

If a guy wants to do better and be a better rider he needs to find someone that does it better and listen... I have had the honor of being laughed at and mentored by some great guys... I just needed to listen....

cap

FYI that knee thing isnt really a big deal, it was just an obstacle in the way to be the rider that I want to be...

I remember the first week I was in martial arts... I was 8 yrs old... my instructor had us breaking boards that first week, after we all did it he said... Now that we have that out of the way lets learn some real martial arts....

We all wanted to break boards, we all wanted to be cool but we didnt understand that breaking the boards was the easiest part.... Control, practice and technique is what mattered in the end... Putting a knee down appears to have been the same thing..... I think I had my eye on the wrong goal...

cap

You know I'm just teasing you bro I'm really happy for you. I've got to work thru it. Yes I know when I figure it out I won't worry about it anymore, but right now it's become a "you are not gonna beat me" -thing...

Get out on that track!!! You won't regret it.

you obsticles

1) not an issue
2) understandable, i don't ride my busa on the track either
3) believe it or not it's hard to tell your age though the helmet and leathers
4) ???
5) knee dragging will happen, and while cool, is not the most important part of getting around the track. It doesn't require that much flexibility, more correct body position and that you can learn.

what to do next? GET OUT ON THE TRACK!:laugh:

As long as there's an instructor on the track you should be covered.

Back