Shoei RF1000 first ride review

BulletTrain

Call me Daddy...
Donating Member
Registered
Finally got to get a ride in and try out my new Shoei RF1000 so I thought I'd post a little review for anyone that might be considering this lid. I guess the first thing I'll cover is noise. I've started usin' hearing protection (plugs) while riding but I took a short ride without the plugs just to compare the noise level of the 1000 to my RF900. The first thing I noticed in the driveway and at low speed was that I could hear more "bike noises", like the engine, fan, etc... with the 1000. However, once out on the road and up to speed I found that the 1000 was considerably quieter overall than the 900 due the fact that I wasn't getting buffetting with the 1000 that I got with the 900.

I could hear some wind noise but it wasn't as loud as the bike it's self. I was very pleased with the noise level of the 1000 even without plugs. With plugs the only thing I really heard was the exhaust and a slight wind noise if I turned my head sideways either way. Sounds like airflow over/around the front vents above the visor. I don't remember noticing it without plugs in my ears. I don't know if I didn't turn my head far enough to hear it, or if it just wasn't audible with other noises mixed in. Either way, I'm happy with the noise performance of the 1000 both with and without plugs.

What really impressed me about the 1000 was how frickin' smoothly it slices through the air. I had read all the stuff about how Shoei done a bunch of wind tunnel testing during the developement of their newer lids. One ride in the 1000 proved to me that those claims weren't just sales pitches. The best analogy I can think of to explain the difference in smoothness between the 900 and 1000 is this... Imagine rollin' a billiard ball across hard packed gravel. The ball bounces around as it deflects off of the rocks and uneven surface. Then roll the same ball across a professional grade felt covered slate pool table surface. The ball glides smoothly across the surface without as much as a bobble. That is honestly not a very big exageration as to how much difference my head and neck felt between the 900 (gravel) and the 1000 (felt covered slate).

Not once today did I experience the dreaded bobblehead effect in the 1000, even at HIGH speed. I can't tell you how much less stressed my neck is right now compared to how it felt after rides in the 900. It even seemed like I was better able to process feedback from the bike at high speeds. I guess without the distraction of the buffetting and bobblehead I was able to focus more on what the bike was doin' than what my head/lid was doin'. It made the whole riding experience sooooo much more enjoyable.

Another thing I noticed is that the 1000 doesn't lift like the 900 tried to. I left ChikkinStrip's house one time and forgot to fasten the chin strap on the 900. I was rollin' along at around 80mph and the 900 started liftin' and almost came off my head. There were lots of times when the chin strap of the 900 felt like it was going to strangle me when I was railin' at 150+ mph. In the 1000 today I never once felt it try to lift. Never felt the chin strap dig in either. God it was nice.

The ventilation of the 1000 was also a nice improvement over the 900. I could tell a difference in how hot my head was with the vents on the 900 open and closed but don't remember ever actually feelin' any airflow. On really hot days there seemed to be very little difference between vents open and vents closed. With the 1000 I could actually feel a fair amount of air flowing over the top of my head. It was too cool out today to judge how well it will cool on hot days, but since I can feel a difference in the airflow I tend to believe that the 1000 couldn't help but be a little cooler. The increased airflow should help evaporate more sweat and keep my noggin' cooler than the stale flow of the 900 did.

As for comfort, I've got no complaints at all. No pressure points or excessive tightness anywhere. Fit feels good. It might be possible to get a better fit but if Shoei called me right now and offered to customize it to fix any fitment problems I could describe I wouldn't know what to tell them to fix. Out of all the other lids I tried on while shopping for a new lid this time I never found one that really felt any better on my head than the 1000 does. The only way I could see any lid bein' much more comfortable would be if the interior was fully custom molded to the exact shape of my head and face.

My impression after ridin' in the 1000 was that the engineers at Shoei actually rode in the RF900 and addressed it's weaknesses perfectly. The result being the 1000. Again, I really feel like Shoei did their homework on this lid. I'm extremely happy with the 1000 in every aspect I can think of. Good job Shoei.

I started using my rf1000 last spring and love it. I found the same things that you found. My old tz-1 used to pull up on the chin strap, but not the rf 1000. It is solid.

[if u take ur face shields off the 1000 and the 900 then put them side by side u can see where shoei made it more aerodynamic.. the 1000 is noticeably more narrow. i do wish they wouldve put the x11's ventilation system on the 1000 though just to get a little more air in there. the only downside that i have found with the 1000 is that the chatterbox speakers make it a real TIGHT fit and makes it actually hurt to take the helmet off, unlike the 800/900 where it fits in there perfectly.

the only downside that i have found with the 1000 is that the chatterbox speakers make it a real TIGHT fit and makes it actually hurt to take the helmet off, unlike the 800/900 where it fits in there perfectly.
Great review BT, Couldn't explain it better myself.
beerchug.gif

As far as those speakers making it hard on the ears, what I ended up doing was placing them right in the holes where the chin straps are initiated from. Helps a little. Cheers & happy new year everyone.

Great reviews, guys. Probably going to have to do a similar search for lids in the near future and this info will definitely help.

Great review BT. That's pretty much how I feel about my 1000. It's an incredibly fascinating lid esp when you get into that tuck. Almost no resistance at all whatsoever.

Great review BT. That's pretty much how I feel about my 1000. It's an incredibly fascinating lid esp when you get into that tuck. Almost no resistance at all whatsoever.
I can get a little bobble if I sit up at 140+ but not much. The I've forgot to fasten the straps before as well and never had any lift at all. I'm happy with mine.

Glad you guys found the little review useful. Too bad I didn't have pics to go with it, huh?
biggrin.gif

Also, it got it's first nick yesterday. Apparently it caught a gravel and got a little nick the size of a needle point in the clearcoat. Oh well, I bought it to use, not to show, so who cares?
biggrin.gif
Battle scars add character I guess...
wink.gif

biggrin.gif

I can get a little bobble if I sit up at 140+ but not much.  The I've forgot to fasten the straps before as well and never had any lift at all.  I'm happy with mine.[/QUOTE]
I do get bobble when I ride two up with my wife. Anybody know what causes that? It usually occurs at around 80 mph. But when I'm solo, smooth as smooth can be.

<!--EDIT|gtrpimp76
Reason for Edit: None given...|1104630783 -->

I can get a little bobble if I sit up at 140+ but not much. The I've forgot to fasten the straps before as well and never had any lift at all. I'm happy with mine.
I do get bobble when I ride two up with my wife. Anybody know what causes that? It usually occurs at around 80 mph. But when I'm solo, smooth as smooth can be.[/QUOTE]
You sure it's not yer wife tryin' to stranlge ya for goin' fast with her on back?
laugh.gif
wink.gif

I dunno... I know two up changes the way air flows over the bike/rider combo. Air flow can do some funky things...

That's a very accurate review of the RF1000. The only bad thing I found with the RF1000 was that it fogs up very easy inside. My Shoei Z-II never fogged up, so I need to figure that one out.

You sure it's not yer wife tryin' to stranlge ya for goin' fast with her on back?
laugh.gif
wink.gif

I dunno... I know two up changes the way air flows over the bike/rider combo. Air flow can do some funky things...
laugh.gif
Yeah, I get some shid sometimes when I push it a little when she's back there. I think you might be right about the airflow/aerodynamics thing with two up. She says I deflect all the wind so she feels no resistance in the saddle behind me. oh well.

laugh.gif

That's a very accurate review of the RF1000. The only bad thing I found with the RF1000 was that it fogs up very easy inside. My Shoei Z-II never fogged up, so I need to figure that one out.
Yeah, the 1000 fogs a little but I haven't had it fog as bad as the 900 did yet. If ScorpionEXO can fix that problem then why can't the others? Doesn't make sense... I actually TRIED to fog a ScorpionEXO shield and couldn't...

laugh.gif
wink.gif

laugh.gif
Yeah, I get some shid sometimes when I push it a little when she's back there. I think you might be right about the airflow/aerodynamics thing with two up. She says I deflect all the wind so she feels no resistance in the saddle behind me. oh well.
Next time you're at speed with her and feel this buffetting pay attention and see if you don't feel her fingers around yer throat.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

actually.. shoei has fixed the problem with the fogging.. the only problem its not on the american rf1000 .. Since I have the european xr1000 it has it.. the clear shield has 2 little things on the sides and u put an inner shield on it (it clips in) and it acts like a dual shield and doesnt fog at all...

<!--EDIT|briXXer
Reason for Edit: None given...|1105065586 -->

actually.. shoei has fixed the problem with the fogging.. the only problem its not on the american rf1000 .. Since I have the european xr1000 it has it.. the clear shield has 2 little things on the sides and u put an inner shield on it (it clips in) and it acts like a dual shield and doesnt fog at all...
Wonder why they wouldn't put it on the American models?
mad.gif

Back