SHOEI RF 1000 SUCKS!

2 Buku

Registered
In early November I bought a Busa in Florida and rode it to up state New York. I live in the Seattle area and geared up for the trip for months. I took my time in choosing the right gear for every aspect of the journey. I bought the Cor-Tech 3 bag tail luggage system (Rockinroll!!) with the matching tank bag, an REI back pack, Garmin GPS, an IPOD MP3 player AND A NEW SHOEI RF 1000. Being a long time SHOEI fan I automatically figured that the newer modle would be better. Keep in mind that I have a new SHOEI RF 900 also that is overall a good helmet. Not the best at defogging but all in all worth the extra coin.
NOW---As I ventured off on my trip I realized that the RF 1000 was a "LOUD" helmet and the 1st night after a stout 9 hour ride that included a short grappling match with Georga State Patrol (No words were exchanged) I realized that I was partially Deeeef. My hearing was shot and I had a continous ringing and static sound in my head. During my trip I had 2 such rides. (The rest of the time I took it easy, you know under 120) But I never broke 160 on the entire trip because I was worried about the luggage. It took 2 or 3 days to get my hearing back and the vertigo to subside. When I got back home I compaired the RF900 to the RF 1000 and found that the RF 1000 was cut much higher to the ear than the RF 900 and the fabric that wraps around the neck was not nearly at tight as the RF 900. So I promptly took the RF1000 back to the local Honda, Suzuki, Victory, and Polaris dealer for a credit. I used the credit ($349.00) to buy a bunch of cool chitt for the Busa. Yes, part of the problem was that with a tank bag stuffed to the hilt kept me from seeking shelter behind the Zero Gravity windshield and that the wind will push on you with incredible force on a Busa, BUT ALL IN ALL I DO BLAME THE BRAIN BUCKET!

2 BUKU[xray]

Man, you gotta wear ear plugs.  Or since you've got the Ipod get one of those "in-the-ear" type headphones that will deaden the wind noise.

earplugstore_1823_178438.jpg

I have both and I agree that the RF900 is quieter than the RF1000 for sure, but the RF1000 does have better ventilation. It is most important that you wear earplugs for long and high speed trips though. There is no helmet that will protect you from hearing loss ... ear plugs are a must!

Oops ... err yeah what Sonic Boom said ...

<!--EDIT|sageronin
Reason for Edit: None given...|1102715202 -->

yeah, I wear ear bud style head phones when I ride long distances ... but have a RF900. Dont like the aria helmets, they just seem to be fairly flat on the front which doesnt fit my mellon
wink.gif

I did find some flat head phone speakers at Kohls that look like htey should fit inside the helmet for "local" trips
cool.gif
(btw, they were $10 so if they suck, oh well
laugh.gif
)

Hey Sonic,
What brand are those earphones you posted? The stock IPOD ones are hard and do not fit. They are round, ears are many shapes but not round.

As far as the better venting in the RF 1000, I agree--
Better venting = more noise!

I also have the same problem with an unusually mellon or egg or box or trapazoid head. I am stuck with whatever will "snap" on my bean.

Oh, One other thing--- I want to thank everyone in here so much. I feel lucky to have access to a site like this one in which fellow road warriors can share fish & Horror stories as well as network for the common good of 2 wheeled survival.

2 BUKU

Use ear plugs, and get helmet speakers. I just did 4500 miles, and without earplugs, I would be deaf. Most people don't realize it, or are too macho to believe it, but even moderate highway speeds (70mph) will induce permanent hearing damage. There is absolutely no benefit to not using earplugs if you are doing highway riding. Use them every time you do such riding. I keep a pair or two in each of my jackets just in case. It makes the ride a heck of a lot more enjoyable not to be distracted by the near-pain of wind noise. And a good helmet-mounted speaker system will be able to project through earplugs (provided you don't get overly-strong plugs. 20dB or so is recommended for helmet-mounted speakers.)

My Shoei Z-II is quieter then my RF-1000, but the RF is more aerodynamic. You got's to wear ear protection with both, especially on long highway rides.

I have experiemented (Besides with chemicals in the 60s) with helmet speakers. I installed the JB (I think) set that Honda sells for my Gold wing Helmet to helmet com and for the money the system sucks. Here I go through all the work of dismanteling the hard hat and dremmeling glueing fabricating the dam speakers into the dam helmet and the sound is meager at best. I would love nothing more than a killer sound system in my brain bucket. I have been told that some guys will buy an expensive set of Koss or other brand name head phones and dismantle them and scabb them into their helmet. Waddya think guys? Any "systems" out there that Rock???

2BUKU

Earplugs man, It's a requirement for ANY extended ride on a sportbike or unfaired motorcycle. Protect your hearing man.

Helmets like Bikes frequently move one direction while sacraficing in another. Better aero, or more cooling can and does lead to more noise. No biggie on a race bike, problem on the street for extended periods.

I'm glad to hear your RF1000 sucks, I was thinking about buying one. I have a Simpson Super Bandit, the coolest "looking" darth vader helmet, but not the more aerodynamic.

Can anyone hear their exhaust when they ride??? The only way I can hear my back is if I wrap my left arm around my neck to stop all the wind from getting under the helmet, which is not an option!!

Anyone use a tube type thing that you velcro to the bottom of the helmet, and tuck under your jacket?? I think that would work amazing, but I've only seen winter ones (for snowmobiles)

wow i never noticed the wind noise.. in mine.

same here for the arais.. they say they have the different mdels for different shape heads.. but ive found that if one bothers u up on your forehead, all the different mdels will..
a guy at the arai booth (longt beach bike show) was trying one on and told the salesman that it bothered his forehead.. I told him yeah and the other probably will to. the salesman said "well we have different ones for different shapes" so the guy tries another one on and sure enough.. he turned to me and said yeah your right that one did to.. I dont think the salesman liked me to much.. But i couldve been a real #### and told the guy to try a shoei x11 or rf1000 on they are more comfy but i kept my mouth shut.

Toronto Busa, Bro, You NEED a new Helmet. I think ANY Modern motorcycle helmet will surprise you with how quiet it is over all compared to the Simpson lid.

Don't be so quick to judge a Helmet as crap just because one person doesn't care fo rit or complains about noise. There could be many reasons he is having issues and the least of them could be the helmet itself.

Why is it when one dude says something is crap everyone lines up to pay attention and offer thanks for the keen insight, but if a person says how Sweet or good a product is everyone wants to fuggin argue about it and shoot it down.

It would be benificial for folks to slow down a little and get a full story before agreeing a product or vendor is bad.

I have a RF1000 and love it! I wear earplugs so the noise isn't an issue. It's the most comfortable helmet I have ever owned, especially at highway speeds because your head doesn't get buffeted around because of the aerodynamics design. Other helmets I used to own were a RF700 Shoei and an Arai Signet. I am going to have my wife try on one of those Scorpion lids to see if she likes it. They sell them here in town at least.

I, too, own a Shoei RF-1000 series. I have the "Nerve" design. I personally love it also. It does seem slightly noisier than other helmets I've tried but the aerodynamics are top notch. Also the fit for me is real comfy. I wear plugs for the long freeway rides but I wanna start doing the Ipod thing eventually. I'm still in love with hearing that new Busa growling underneath me.

Had a TZ-1 Shogun...no probs there except for marginal ventilation.

I'm assuming that's why the niose wasn't a real big problem.
wink.gif

Toronto Busa, Bro, You NEED a new Helmet.  I think ANY Modern motorcycle helmet will surprise you with how quiet it is over all compared to the Simpson lid.  

Don't be so quick to judge a Helmet as crap just because one person doesn't care fo rit or complains about noise.  There could be many reasons he is having issues and the least of them could be the helmet itself.

Why is it when one dude says something is crap everyone lines up to pay attention and offer thanks for the keen insight,  but if a person says how Sweet or good a product is everyone wants to fuggin argue about it and shoot it down.

It would be benificial for folks to slow down a little and get a full story before agreeing a product or vendor is bad.
Well said my friend! I sell quite a few of these helmets each day. I have never heard of a noise complaint. Doesn't mean there isn't one just that none of my customers have had a problem with it. For the record we have a 30 helmet exchange if your not satisfied with your street helmet.

As all others have said you need to wear ear plugs!

Howlin

Back