SHOEI RF 1000 SUCKS!

Well Gents I went to the International Motorcycle show in Seattle two times this weekend and tried every brand of helmet there and I still believe that SHOEI is a superior product. Althought it is true that some of us just have wierd shaped heads the X-11 was much better than the RF1000.

As far as Ear plugs go-- I had a custom set molded to fit my ears at the bike show today and they are the most far fuggin out product I have ever seen for ear protection. I even bought a second set that they are manufacturing with speakers "built in". It plugs right in to my IPOD. They are flush with my ear so when I drag my hard hat over then they stay in most effectivly. Thanks for all the Input!

Hey Bird man, Did you not get enough lovin when you were little or what?

2 BUKU

Toronto Busa, Bro, You NEED a new Helmet. I think ANY Modern motorcycle helmet will surprise you with how quiet it is over all compared to the Simpson lid.

Don't be so quick to judge a Helmet as crap just because one person doesn't care fo rit or complains about noise. There could be many reasons he is having issues and the least of them could be the helmet itself.

Why is it when one dude says something is crap everyone lines up to pay attention and offer thanks for the keen insight, but if a person says how Sweet or good a product is everyone wants to fuggin argue about it and shoot it down.

It would be benificial for folks to slow down a little and get a full story before agreeing a product or vendor is bad.
Point well taken
smile.gif

I just used it as an excuse so I don't have to spend the money!! Tough year, and already spent the $$ on my lid (New this spring)

Reality, I'd ask a bunch of poeple before I make a decision, not take one persons view

P.S. I bought the simpson because I wanted it (looks cool to me)

I just got my Arai RX-7 Corsair 4 days ago. It advertised Fog Free visor and great ventilation. Great ventilation it definitely has. Lighter than imaginable, NO neck strain, No buffeting or wind drag (noticeably anyway) The Visor fogs up at red lights and is VERY NOISY. Went from a Symax to the Arai. Two Completely different worlds. With the Symax I don't need plugs. Hearing was marginal at best in that one. I really need to find a set of ear plugs FAST for the Arai. Wind noise is the price for good ventilation I found out. I'd rather put a set of plugs in than have neck pain anyday!
smile.gif

Earplugs man, It's a requirement for ANY extended ride on a sportbike or unfaired motorcycle.  Protect your hearing man.

Helmets like Bikes frequently move one direction while sacraficing in another.  Better aero, or more cooling can and does lead to more noise.  No biggie on a race bike, problem on the street for extended periods.
I have seen people wearing earplugs before, but I have never used them myself - even on my annual multi-state trips.

This explains to me now why halfway through most conversations I say "Whaaaaat?"

What about weekend riding?  I put down ~400 miles every dry weekend so long as it isn't below 25 degrees out.  Should I get myself some plugs even for 'local' rides?

Last - I have an IPOD, did I read correctly that there are noise cancelling headphones?

Hey Poole,

When I leave the Marathon and I know we are going to be spending the next hour or so out rough housing I make sure I have my plugs in. The ride from from the house to the Marathon? No plugs, it's in town under 70 MPH stop and go so it never gets THAT loud for THAT long. I have just noticed some real hearing attenuation after arriving at The Hess if I don't wear plugs, that's a bad thing. It's like going to a rock concert every weekend, not good for the ears.

Besides, Busa's come with their own "Foamie" Holders right there between the Bars So might as well.

Well Gents I went to the International Motorcycle show in Seattle two times this weekend and tried every brand of helmet there and I still believe that SHOEI is a superior product. Althought it is true that some of us just have wierd shaped heads the X-11 was much better than the RF1000.

As far as Ear plugs go-- I had a custom set molded to fit my ears at the bike show today and they are the most far fuggin out product I have ever seen for ear protection. I even bought a second set that they are manufacturing with speakers "built in". It plugs right in to my IPOD. They are flush with my ear so when I drag my hard hat over then they stay in most effectivly. Thanks for all the Input!

Hey Bird man, Did you not get enough lovin when you were little or what?

2 BUKU
Enough Loving?  Fug me....  
rock.gif

Um... So what part of which post rubbed you the wrong way?

Seriously...  

Your the Dude "WITH ALL THE YEARS" of riding experiance that is still Baffled by Helmet noise...

Christ, ask me if I didn't get enough loving? Better check yourself and ask your Momma when she dropped you on your fuggin head...  

I have experiemented (Besides with chemicals in the 60s) with helmet speakers. I installed the JB (I think) set that Honda sells for my Gold wing Helmet to helmet com and for the money the system sucks. Here I go through all the work of dismanteling the hard hat and dremmeling glueing fabricating the dam speakers into the dam helmet and the sound is meager at best. I would love nothing more than a killer sound system in my brain bucket. I have been told that some guys will buy an expensive set of Koss or other brand name head phones and dismantle them and scabb them into their helmet. Waddya think guys? Any "systems" out there that Rock???

2BUKU
Believe it or not, I did an extensive search to get a good sound system in my helmet. I actually bought and installed a variety of speakers into a variety of helmets. A couple of interesting points:

- Shoei's suck up all bass and a good bit of the sound. I don't know why exactly but I suspect it's a characteristic of the foam liner. Even high quality speakers sounded awful in the Shoei helmets. All models require a good bit of cutting/customizing to the inner shell to get the speakers in.

- Aria's allow for great acustics. Thumping bass, good overall volume. Plus, they come ready for putting in speakers.

In the end, I went with the Arai RX7 which has a little more jaw room and custom wired speakers I scavenged from a Chatterbox unit. The sound is killer and the speakers cost only $50.

I also tried those $500 Shure foam-ear-bud style headphones. They sound KILLER, but are a pain in the neck to keep in your ears when putting your helmet on. They're worth the effort on long trips but for general around town, speakers are much more convenient.

Hey Meltdown,
When I put the Speakers in my RF900 I did not put the little dohnut like gaskets in so I have more room between my ears and the speaker. Next time I put speakers in a hard hat I will insulate more and probably use a high end home style audio head set for the components. I am waiting for the custom molded to my ears ear phones that I had casted at the bike show to arrive. they say it takes a few weeks. I hope that the sound will be superior to any speakers. You are right about the convenience though.

Note to Birdman:
We can just feel the negative energy! I will pray for your recovery to true happiness. Remember, we must 1st face our own inner demons before we seek to magnify others. This Zen philosophy could be your true path to peace and might one day save your life.
God bless you!!

2 BUKU

Note to Birdman:
We can just feel the negative energy! I will pray for your recovery to true happiness. Remember, we must 1st face our own inner demons before we seek to magnify others. This Zen philosophy could be your true path to peace and might one day save your life.
God bless you!!

2 BUKU

Ah, I see...  Okay then, Umm...  

Lesse...

Wait for it...

I got it here Somewhere...

My Hippie Horsecrap to english dictionary...

Ah, Found it, oh and uh...  

Yeah I stand by my    

You keep working on your inner demons though bro, sounds like you've got your hands full, or should I say Ya'll?  sounds like you got more than one person your speaking for?  "We"? Got a little mouse in your pocket do ya?   He he he...  Sounds like Your maybe at Step 6 or 7 of the 12? Keep it up, I have heard that the programs can really help.

Good luck with the whole God thing though maybe that'll work for ya...  And Thanks for the the Blessing though...

Sure am glad your here to figure me out so quickly. Such amazing insight...  You should start your own clinic, give Dr. Phil a run for his money...

With Much Love!

Rev

Note to Birdman:
God bless you!!

2 BUKU

Ah, I see...  Okay then, Umm...  
You keep working on your inner demons though bro, sounds like you've got your hands full, or should I say Ya'll?  sounds like you got more than one person your speaking for?  "We"? Got a little mouse in your pocket do ya?   He he he...  Sounds like Your maybe at Step 6 or 7 of the 12?  Keep it up, I have heard that the programs can really help.  

Good luck with the whole God thing though maybe that'll work for ya...  And Thanks for the the Blessing though...

Sure am glad your here to figure me out so quickly.  Such amazing insight...  You should start your own clinic, give Dr. Phil a run for his money...

With Much Love!

Rev

Wait, are we talking about EARPLUGS, or BUTTPLUGS?  We are still talking about plugging EARS and not REARS, right?  Reason I ask is because the Shi'ite is getting pretty deep.

All the vibes at my house are positive, and AA powered too . . .

Hey rev, when're we gonna quit BS'ing on the web and actually go tear up some tires?

Note to Birdman:
God bless you!!
2 BUKU

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>HUMOR ALERT - DO NOT PANIC</span></span>
Dude, I LOVE my inner demons - we party together.  Sometimes they talk to me, through my pet llama.  They told me to tell you that they were watching you and that what you have been doing with your toothpaste is an abomination unto the lord.

Also, I could be wrong on this one, but I don't think the old Rev loses a lot of sleep about the magnification of others.  I am betting he is of the John Locke school of "magnify yourself, dumb@ss" - but I could be wrong there

The way I figure it, if I don't sin then god won't be able to forgive me.  I know I have the whole baseline "born of sin" thing going but I want to make sure the lord feels like he is getting his money's worth outta me.  You send your son to earth to die for people's sins and you don't want to feel like you got ripped off, right . . .right?  I mean, c'mon, would you send your son to die for the occaisional impure thought? Wouldn't you feel better knowing he died for some WHOPPER sins?  Something involving a couple of midgets, a box of pingpong balls, a cow prod, a goat and a bar in the Phillipines comes to mind.

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>HUMOR ALERT - DO NOT PANIC</span></span>

TSPOOL,

I sense mass positive energy "Cumming" from your CHI! If there is not a midget and at least 2 species of farm animals involved I believe that it wouldn't be any fun anyway!

PS: How did you know about the toothpaste??

2 BUKU

I have a Shoei X-spII that i bought new at the close out price of $250 it originally sold for $700+. Super quiet and great ventilation. You may still be able to find them on ebay. definitely look into one if you can find one. It was so good and quiet i bought my wife one as well.

Pretty interesting read as I am looking to purchase a new RF1000 sometime at the beginning of the year. I currently have two RF900's and they are nice. Ventilation could be better, but overall a good helmet. Reading all of what has been said, we must remember that "fit" is very important when choosing a helmet. The fact that we all have different shaped and different sized heads is a critical factor when we compare helmets. Just a little somethin' I picked up from the REVLIS SCHOOL OF MOTORCYCLE SAFETY...
laugh.gif

My Arai RX7-RR4 is a jet blast at highway speeds. Serious hearing loss over time. If you look at the OSHA standards for ambient noise and hearing loss and do the math, highway speeds equate permanent damage in as little as an hour.

Wear earplugs, period, even if your helmet is quieter. I didn't have luck with the foam disposables because, although their DB rating was higher they didn't fit well and thus didn't help. I used tethered, reusable ones with at least a 25db rating.

You can find some at: http://www.labsafety.com

...And you will have to experiment with some styles.

If you're worried about situational awareness, note that with that background noise you can't hear anything useful at all, even if you think you can, and the noise is actually very tiring and will reduce your ability to focus and control the bike.

And, once you're deaf, you won't ride any more anyway.

The first time I used plugs it was very disorienting because of the pressure and disorientation without the expected noise. Within a few days, however, I was able to actually hear/feel the engine better and pay more attention to the road.

FWIW, I use the etymotic er6's with my iPod. If they fit well, they'll do up to 20db of suppression, which is certainly better than nothing. And, better yet, since your music doesn't have to compete with road noise your volume will be much lower.

I had a set of helmet speakers for a while, but I had to blast the music to get through my ear plugs, which I needed to remain able to hear off the bike, and kind of defeated the purpose. Plus, they sounded like crap compared to the buds.

Back