1st time wearing earplugs (wow).. I ride faster now

Well, I tried to lean over the tank and get low on the bike. It was a total failure. It puts my helmet into the wind screen and my face would be over the gauge pod. So, I take the air blast full on with my ear plugs. I may take my time over the next year or so and try different helmets and see if I like some other brands and styles. The helmet quest continues!

Yeah I broke my ear plug virginity tonight and popped one each ear:cheerleader:
At first I wasnt sure it was different, then I just got back tonight and my what a difference. I like:thumbsup:

I used to use the Helios but they get disgusting after just a few uses. At Laguna Seca MotoGP race last year they had a booth where they make a plastic impression of your ear canal and within an hour they have your new ear plugs ready. They do an excellent job of keeping out the high frequency and wind blast noise..I paid like 60 bucks for them...easy to clean and love them...you can get any hearing doctor to make them for you..also gun shooters have an excellent plug that cancels out very bad frequencies...not cheap..but shooters swear by them

there is a place at the IMS shows called Big Ear. I got a set of custom silicone ear plugs made for like $25-30 at the show. They take about 30mins and you walk out with them. If you get them to make a second set they can keep them on file for you and make some great in ear headphones or remake your plugs if you loose them. Definitely worth checking out if you have one of the shows in your area. :thumbsup:

been 4yrs and mine have been great on the bike but have saved me countless hours on planes from random noise generators (screamin baby, people that just yap and yap, hen parties at 35k' :laugh: )

There was a pretty extensive study done on riding using ear plugs. If you search over on katriders.com I'm sure you can find it... Basically the study resulted in increased focus and a much better ability (believe it or not) to hear your engine (for problems etc.), and pattern recognizeable sounds such as ambulances and car horns. I NEVER ride without them.

On the earbud subject I will say that I will not ride with them again. I was almost killed by an ambulance a few years back when riding through some twisties and listening to some tunes, it came up behind me at the exit of a turn. I couldn't have seen him coming and I definitley could not hear him coming. I dipped to the shoulder with just enough time to not become a pancake. Dam near clipped my mirror.

I tell all my friends to avoid music while riding for that reason.

Guys who don't wear plugs haven't considered the long term effects of bike engine and wind noise...look up the word tinnitus. It is no joke man. People who are around harsh noise for many years develop it. It is very unpleasant and there isn't a thing the doctor can do for you. It is a ringing sound in your ear that you perceive to be there but there is no external object making it. Many guys who work around loud equipment, guns, and race equipment guys can all attest to it's damaging effects to one's psyche. Try going to sleep while you perceive someone is laying right next to you whistling and you might begin to understand how much fun that would be. Protect your ears...u nay sayers have been forewarned...:whistle:

You got that right! Protect your hearing now or wear this type of earplugs later!

100_1111.jpg

Back