School me on helmet intercoms

FlatlandBusa

Registered
Thank you in advance for your answers and experiences.

Like the title says.

We currently have an intercom that is wired and uses throat mics, the sound quality is terrible, to the point we never use it.

We are looking at getting a pair of SMH10 intercoms.

How is the sound quality?

How bad is wind noise?

Does the volume go loud enough to be heard over wind noise with earplugs in?

Can I pair it with my phone (droid razr hd) for music and still receive and make calls?

Sorry for all the questions, I don't want to spend almost $400 and end up with something I'm not happy with.

Any other thoughts you have on this intercom or other brands similar would be appreciated.

Well if you don't want to spend $400. I have a Scala G9X power set new in box for $325 shipped

The SENA stuff is good and will do the job you want it to do. The Scala is good too though, and you can't beat Big E's price.

The SENA stuff is good and will do the job you want it to do. The Scala is good too though, and you can't beat Big E's price.

Ya, that's what I'm finding, it's a great price! Trying to find out how they mount and how transferable both are from helmet to helmet since I and the wife have more than a few between us.

I have the Sena5-FM and I am really happy with it. The bass is weak, but I expected that. I don't listen to music all the time, but when i do it's still clear, just heavy on the treble side. Phone conversations are clear, people hear me fine and don't know I'm riding. I'd expect the intercom will work the same. I do hit the intercom button with my shoulder from time to time and I think the Sena 10 (not the low profile one) is slightly larger than the Sena 5. I do keep the visor closed when I'm using it. I've tried to talk to Cortana on my windows phone with the visor cracked, and it kept asking me to repeat.
The bluetooth features connected to my phone, and a gps app work with it really well. It prioritizes the incoming sounds so phone/gps/intercom will override the radio. I get beeps in my ear when I pass the speed limit, and when someone calls. I just have to say "Answer" loud for it to answer an incoming call.
I haven't tried any of the others so I can't give you any comparisons. I do like it enough that I plan to buy the low profile Sena 10 when I replace my helmet in the spring, and keep the Sena 5 for passengers or road trips, etc.

I ended up getting the Scala G9x power set that Big E had for sale. From what I read about it and the reviews it seems to be a good setup. I should have it next week and am looking forward to getting it set up.

Any tips or tricks you have to make using it faster/easier would be appreciated.

In order to save money, you have to buy the right system the first time. Believe me, I have spent lots of money on different systems till I ended up with what I have. You also have to ask what features you want and what is most important.
1) Bike to bike
2) music
3) phone interface
4) intercom to passenger
5) independent passenger interface(music, phone, etc)
6) ptt or vox
7) blue tooth or wired
8) ipod, droid, or satellite interface
9) battery Stand alone or hard wired power

Figure those things out and you should be pointed in the right direction for the system you need.

Don't get the sena 20s have had nothing but issues with them

Not ture bro. Mine is amazing. I didn't think a Bluetooth could be better than my AutoCom but there is no comparison. S20 is easily the best motorcycle com system I have ever had (tried them all by the way - chatterbox, carlo, etc.)

Back