SHOEI RF 1000 SUCKS!

So Basically what yous guys is saying is uhh.... wear ear plugs and don't worry about da wind noise and go for what fits and don't just look cool and finally to shut da friggin batroom winder when using toothpaste for sumtin other than brushing?
laugh.gif

I HAVE NOW FOUND THE SAME TO BE TRUE! WITH A "WORKING" set of ear plugs I can hear better. Kinda like at a Rock concert. With ear plugs, I can hear teh music better. Itis easier to pick out different instruments. It is kinda wired like now I pick up different frequencies on the bike that I was not able to hear before! I do agree though that fit is everything. The SHOEI rep at the bike show taught me some tricks for "customizing the fit by manipulating the guts of the helmet.
I still think that helmet technology is far behind where it should be for as advanced it is in todays Bikes! I would bet that we will be seeing many new products in the near future like in helmet gauges and eventually retinal recognition. At the bike show I saw a "Heads Up" helmet display with a tach. Spedo and ambiant temp but it is still pretty clunky! What's next GPS??

2 BUKU

I've got the RF1000 and yes, it is kind of loud................but it's real comfy. I usually have earbuds with cranking tunes so unfortunately I'm not helping my hearing at all. I get my hearing tested every year as a part of my job, so I would be a lot better off if I started using earplugs instead. It's a sweet looking helmet, but I'm gonna give a scorpion a try the next time I'm down in Colorado Springs..........that's the closest dealer to me that carries the Scorps.
smile.gif

So Basically what yous guys is saying is uhh.... wear ear plugs and don't worry about da wind noise and go for what fits and don't just look cool and finally to shut da friggin batroom winder when using toothpaste for sumtin other than brushing?
laugh.gif
Lol... That's a helluva summary there Moose!!!
laugh.gif
super.gif

laugh.gif

Re: SHOEI RF 1000 SUCKS!

I have tried at least six different helmets and they all have significant wind noise at speed. I wear ear plugs with all of my helmets to eliminate the wind noise. The Shoei RF-1000 is an excellent helmet. Get some ear plugs.
In early November I bought a Busa in Florida and rode it to up state New York. I live in the Seattle area and geared up for the trip for months. I took my time in choosing the right gear for every aspect of the journey. I bought the Cor-Tech 3 bag tail luggage system (Rockinroll!!) with the matching tank bag, an REI back pack, Garmin GPS, an IPOD MP3 player AND A NEW SHOEI RF 1000. Being a long time SHOEI fan I automatically figured that the newer modle would be better. Keep in mind that I have a new SHOEI RF 900 also that is overall a good helmet. Not the best at defogging but all in all worth the extra coin.
NOW---As I ventured off on my trip I realized that the RF 1000 was a "LOUD" helmet and the 1st night after a stout 9 hour ride that included a short grappling match with Georga State Patrol (No words were exchanged) I realized that I was partially Deeeef. My hearing was shot and I had a continous ringing and static sound in my head. During my trip I had 2 such rides. (The rest of the time I took it easy, you know under 120) But I never broke 160 on the entire trip because I was worried about the luggage. It took 2 or 3 days to get my hearing back and the vertigo to subside. When I got back home I compaired the RF900 to the RF 1000 and found that the RF 1000 was cut much higher to the ear than the RF 900 and the fabric that wraps around the neck was not nearly at tight as the RF 900. So I promptly took the RF1000 back to the local Honda, Suzuki, Victory, and Polaris dealer for a credit. I used the credit ($349.00) to buy a bunch of cool chitt for the Busa. Yes, part of the problem was that with a tank bag stuffed to the hilt kept me from seeking shelter behind the Zero Gravity windshield and that the wind will push on you with incredible force on a Busa, BUT ALL IN ALL I DO BLAME THE BRAIN BUCKET!

2 BUKU[xray]

I have always wondered why someone doesn't combine noise-cancellation technology to motorcycle earplugs/phones...wonder if it can be done...

I have always wondered why someone doesn't combine noise-cancellation technology to motorcycle earplugs/phones...wonder if it can be done...

Know it's an old thread but just seen some in a magazine.
They were pricey at around $150.

Link? Every custom earplug mentioned here costs that much...

I did some more research about this topic in the past few moments...very interesting.

Use ear plugs, and get helmet speakers. I just did 4500 miles, and without earplugs, I would be deaf. Most people don't realize it, or are too macho to believe it, but even moderate highway speeds (70mph) will induce permanent hearing damage. There is absolutely no benefit to not using earplugs if you are doing highway riding. Use them every time you do such riding. I keep a pair or two in each of my jackets just in case. It makes the ride a heck of a lot more enjoyable not to be distracted by the near-pain of wind noise. And a good helmet-mounted speaker system will be able to project through earplugs (provided you don't get overly-strong plugs. 20dB or so is recommended for helmet-mounted speakers.)

:thumbsup::cheerleader: +1

cheers
ken

Old threads never die!

I have an RF1000 and have had mixed emotions about it since day 1, my kid bought it for me for Xmas last year, its the cool Suzuki Busa paint match job...

For the track I like it because it has a real tight fit, good aero manners, good visibility and is light, plus it looks kick azz.

On the street where speeds are comparitively light and things like wind noise come into play I cant stand it - fogs up too da**ed much (even with scuba diving 'no fog') and is too wind tight if that makes any sense. If someone from who-ville were standing inside of it whilst I rode the highway that little sucker could blow smoke rings against my cheek.

Dealers should have wind tunnels that we can test in prior to purchasing!

Old threads never die!

I have an RF1000 and have had mixed emotions about it since day 1, my kid bought it for me for Xmas last year, its the cool Suzuki Busa paint match job...

For the track I like it because it has a real tight fit, good aero manners, good visibility and is light, plus it looks kick azz.

On the street where speeds are comparitively light and things like wind noise come into play I cant stand it - fogs up too da**ed much (even with scuba diving 'no fog') and is too wind tight if that makes any sense. If someone from who-ville were standing inside of it whilst I rode the highway that little sucker could blow smoke rings against my cheek.

Dealers should have wind tunnels that we can test in prior to purchasing!

Me too!

I have the next model up, I think it's called the Z-11? I wear it for the track but don't like it for street use. It fits good but fogs up at the first hint of cool air. It is light and fits good but the wind screen don't function as well as the Arai. I prefer the Arai for comfort, wind noise (I aways wear ear plugs) and defoging capabilites.

Back