Shocking Video

It is interesting how many people do not realise the exponential nature of quarter mile times. By doing some quick math it would seem that any vehicle with a terminal speed of around 140mph is travelling around 62 metres per second. This is the distance that a vehicle 1 second behind would be trailing. The difference between the ZX12 and the Busa will be in at the most 2 or 3 10ths of a second in the quarter, a difference not distinguishable until many repetative runs and an average is calculated, due to reflexes. A tenth of a second in the mid nines is a big difference from a tenth in the tens or elevens. A bad launch will cancel that though. Thought I would just spew some thoughts. The Busa is growing on me but GO THE KWAKA.

Brock, are you brain dead too! If you read my posts all I said was what I saw on the video! I didnt quote it as gospel, dam. If you were as proficent with your riding as you were with your english proofreading maybe you would be higher on your Pro-star ranking!

Hey Fitch,
Post something believable and you won't take so much SH_T!!! You have obviously NEVER been down a drag-strip!!
( ps. IT is KNOW-it all, With a "K")

Brock

gixerbike1, not to be anal.. but since you were, I thought I would get a punch in.

"Try using your spell checker" would be better put.

Don't worry about it Fitch. Brock is God. He knows everything. He is everything. He's just giving everyone else a lead in points right now so he can smoke them all at the last minute. No one can ride with him and he's always right.

Yesth, mathster......

And Brock will feed off your negativity - even if he did qualify 7th and get smoked in the first round. It's all part of the Master Plan. We are all just the bacteria on Planet Brock. Now you know.

Yeah - give the guy a break. If he has seen the video he has seen the video. If it is not the real thing then it is not the real thing. I too doubt the 8.9 second quarter but after reading about the Kwaka's supposed 196HP at the crank including air ram I can see the beast in the slightly slower than mid 9's with PRO rider if you take into account it's light weight in comparison to the Busa.

Hey Marty, I wasn't being "ANAL".If He's going to use profanity,then spell it properly.As far as the "try your spell checker" Statement,I said try it, it's up to him to use it.One Other point, at least i can spell.

MartyKane,
Why dont you try to post something constructive before you start posting flames.
You have got one post to your name and its worthless. Did your feelings get hurt or something ??? WHO CARES HOW YOU SAY IT. I THINK THE POINT WAS MADE !!!!

Nuff Said !!

Do you think we need grammar lesson too !

You better delete your name and sign in with a new one or no one will ever listen to anything you have to say. NOT that you have anything intellegent to say any way !! oh did spell every correctly ? :)

Speed, thanks, i was only kidding with fitch anyway.I realize the poor guy was getting a lot of heat over this video thing and i was trying to put some levity into the situation.Just trying to throw a little humor in there and this guy just jumped on me both feet forward.I appreciate you lookin out for me.

Tommy

Hi Guys
I was just plugging some numbers into some physics calcs and come up with a few things. Remember that these are theoretical and not nescessarily real life numbers, anyway : If you take into account the fastest Busa quarter being 9.49 and that it has 155RWHP then it works out that you need 172.4RWHP to get it down to 8.96. Just remember that these numbers would not be your usual bloke and would have to be a fly weight. The numbers also only take into account max power not the entire curve. To start getting realistic you would really need a few HP on top of this. I would think the ZX12 would need at least 180RWHP without the ram air to get near this figure.

The other half of that equation is the 160 plus mph terminal speed. It would take a lot more than 17 ponies (more like 40 plus)to make up 15 minimum mph. (a half a second for that matter too!) Won't happen. The calculation you are using I am sure is for autos in ideal conditions, ultimate traction, etc. Bikes (streetbikes) are an entirely different arena.

I think the problem here is that there are guys who post here who have been down a dragstrip and actually know what it takes to click off those times and speeds. Then there are the guys who have never been down a strip, sit up at night conducting the perfect run in their head with their imaginary bike and skills, then post like they have knowledge of the sport and what it takes to make these bikes go.

The day that a production sport bike, equipped with less than a 59" wheelbase and 180 rear wheel horsepower (claimed) runs 8.90's @ 160 plus is the day that my grandma is in the saddle doing it. There are 300 plus horsepower, 68" wheelbase shootout bikes that struggle to run 8 second passes. Don't get me wrong, I would be first in line to buy a legitimate 8 second production street bike, especially made by Kawi, but reality is it won't happen.

Your comments are free for the world to see when you use a forum like this, so you must understand that people are free to comment on them. If you don't want the response, don't make the post. If you have poor grammar.... use a dictionary. And Speed, when you write like some of the folks on here do, YES, you do need a grammar lesson!

Late

Unfortunately, this isn't the version that lets me close down threads...we're upgrading it soon to allow such things...didn't want to pay money until I was sure how much the board would be used. I guess it passed that test <GRIN>.

I see no reason to close this thread. The insults that have taken place in here are discreet from the subject matter so why quit the thread because of attitudes. If the subject matter annoys you then don't enter the thread. In real life would you walk up to two people in conversation and tell them to stop talking ?

The top speed estimates for the ZX12 look
reasonable to me given 180 hp.
The relationship between speed and power is that the change in theoretical top speed is the square root of the change in power.
Using the 'Busas numbers as a base line we can see that if the 'Busa had 180 HP it could attain 206.
(180/160)^.5 * 194 MPH=205.76 MPH
A 220 HP 'Busa could go 227!
Of course in the real world you would need the right gearing and balls!

YZFR1, how aerodynamic are the older ZX-11's... and yet Terry Kizer's ran 234 MPH!

I think the ZX-12 will have no problem touching the 200 MPH mark, but.. a handfull of bikes can. How many can hold it there safely, and at a point that the rider feels comfortable at? That's where the Hayabusa takes over.

The 100 pounds less will make the bike a somewhat disturbing ride in my opinion... but, the horsepower and design of the bike will be able to take it there...

The 'busa is comfortable at the high end of the 100 MPH range, and when we get done turboing my bike... I expect the mid 200's will feel just as good... and that is the place where the ZX-12 will not be able to go!

Let's not forget what's more important than hp at speeds over 180......aerodynamics. If the current spy photo's and artist illustrations are representative of the real ZX-12, there's no way it will do 200.

As Billy Rhom said in the Kawasaki vs. Suzuki thread (I sent him out here), the ZX-12 will have to have a narrow, unfriendly powerband to compete with the Hayabusa. That would mean much hotter cams, higher compression, and a much more stressed valvetrain. The Hayabusa engine is an engineering marvel in pure grunt without stress and much more aftermarket performance potential due to it's design. Kawasaki is shaking in their boots right now. The ZX-12 has been ready for 2 years but they haven't released it...........the Hayabusa is why!

Back