Am i\'m missing something...........

OB_VegasDude

Registered
"But the ZX-12R is right at the limits of performance. Kawasaki is exploring the outer limits of top speed. Nobody knows what problems might occur at 180mph or above."Quote from an article on the zx12. The busa has gone in the high 190's and Kawasaki is exploring the outer limits of top speed? I've been there done that on the busa I had no problems.......Sounds like to me they hit 180 and had to shut it down or had a wreck on the bike or something drastic....maybe thats why they are keeping their mouths shut..........I could be wrong though.........

VegasDude,
Wouldn't it be interesting to see what caused one of the three US spec 12's to crash during testing? That may have been part of the latest round of uncertainty regarding the release. Remember a couple of weeks ago, before the crash and the bike was a "sure
thing"?
ducmanic
Los Angeles

Vegas, I think the article means that Kawasaki is exploring the outer limits of any top speed that THEY have experienced/tested on a stock production type bike. I'm glad that someone is finally starting to see how important aerodynamics are when it comes to these speeds. Some of us (Busa owners) have been trying to point that out for quiet some time now but the Kaw guys have been unwilling to listen. We've also tried to point out that the looks of the Busa are due to the incredible(for a bike) aerodynamics that were designed by Suzuki in order to reach the top speed that it does yet remain stable. It takes more than just brute strength to build a bike capable of these top speeds without being dangerous and unstable. This is good time to appreciate what we've got with the Busa and say thanks to Suzuki for building a proper bike aerodynamically that is rock stable at 150+ mph. Regardless of what people think of the Busa's looks (which I and MANY others like very much) it's NECCESSARY in order to safely run at warp speeds. I've noticed that the Busa's looks are about the only thing those with green envy can come up with to complain about since the Busa blows everything else away performance wise. Turns out even that one single complaint is rooted in ignorance.

Todd, I couldnt agree more. I love the looks of the busa and ive been 190 indicated on the speedo and it was extremely stable. I am
very happy with the bike. Ducmaniac has a point too. I didnt know the zx12 had a crash, I bet that's what happened. Now they have to look at aerodynamics as if this hasnt been a known thing for awhile. I bet they have to redesign the whole bike. I'd be afraid to ride the thing now. Who knows what it might do..what if the front end comes off the ground at high speed and starts flipping down the hiway...........Oh poop......... If you read my original post from their quote it states NOBODY know what problems arise after 180.........well suzuki knows and so does every busa owner thats been past the 180 mark........with the busa there is no problems. Still, though somebody knows........................

[This message has been edited by VegasDude (edited 28 August 1999).]

Another thing, suzuki designed the hayabusa with a goal in mind. It came from an inspiration from the falcon in a high-speed dive. Kawasaki just had a goal of more horsepower...suzuki took it from a point of aerodynamics + horsepower= Fastest production bikes on the planet The primary goal though was aerodynamics so they had their act together. Its hard to beat a person with both inspiration and the money and technical know how to make it work.

Duc, you must be a pretty honest person, I saw your profile: Interests Food, girls, bikes............lol And i take it that its in the correct order.......hehe

[This message has been edited by VegasDude (edited 28 August 1999).]

Right on the money Todd, some people here actually do get it. Remember the thread about the survey on the 'Busa hump? We went around in circles about how the hump was part of the complete package...Suzuki had to look carefully at every inch of the bike when they designed it to make it do what it does.

A lot of those on that thread just didn't seem to grasp it. It was like looking at the horizon with someone and telling them the earth is round, and they are saying 'No way man, it's flat.' If you can make the connection between how it looks and what it does, you appreciate it more.

Did anyone see the article in the British mag, I think, that talked about the international introduction of the Hayabusa? The factory rider (Duhamel maybe?) who won the 500cc GP race at Catalunya was clocked at top speeds of 191 down the front straight on his Honda NSR500 factory race bike. At the introduction of the 'Busa, the fastest test rider (journalist) was hitting 187 on the Hayabusa. The race bike totally walks away from the Bus in the turns, of course. But Dudes, 4 mph difference? I'd say that is pushing the outer limits.

The 'Busa is kind of like Jordan or Gretzky in that it does something really difficult and makes it look easy. You're right Vegas, Suzuki obviously knew what they wanted from the beginning.

Today I went 340 clicks indicated on my Busa and I wasn't even intending to try for top speed.

The bike is so relaxing at high speed.

On the same run I jumped on a V-Max and went only 150 mph and the thing shook, rattled and rolled.

A couple of weeks ago I traded bikes (not my Busa...a friend's bike so stupid that I will not admit to ever having ridden it) with a guy who has a very tasty GSXR1100. 170 mph is a violent affair.

On my Busa, you chuckle at 180 mph.

I mean friggin' literally! It's a calm place to be. Especially if you have ear plugs in.

What we have here is peaceful speed.

[This message has been edited by Dirty Pete (edited 28 August 1999).]

Dirty Pete,

You are so correct on the peaceful speed.
Last week was running 5th gear beside a couple of ZX11s when they took off. Of course I simply rolled on the throttle and changed gear. I glanced down moments later to see 190. Looked over my shoulder at them a half a mile behind me.

I would have never known I was at 190 if I had not looked because I felt no change whatsoever in the bike to indicate such.

Conclusion? Peaceful Speed.

If you guys are referring to my information about a ZX-12 crashing, maybe you should consider the source!

As for aero's, I'm one of the Kawaski guys that actually believe they matter! Why else would Winston Cup teams spend millions every year in wind tunnels moving bodies millimeters at a time to get that extra edge?

Kevin - fastzx9@dragbike.com

C'mon guys Kawasaki has been working with the aerodynamics. Don't you know the new ZX12R has little 2inch wings. Kawasaki with wings for extra protection, now isn't that nice.

C'mon guys Kawasaki has been
working with the aerodynamics. Don't
you know the new ZX12R has little
2inch wings. Kawasaki with wings for
extra protection. Now isn't that
nice?

The Hayabusa was inspired by a Falcon.

A BUG(a.k.a. ZX12)was swabbed off the windshield of a Kawasaki janitorial service cart by a saki inspired engineer whose project was to develope a bike that could try to out perform the Suzuki Hayabusa.

Kawasaki - loose translation "Drunken Cow"

Team Hayabusa, those wings "the 2 inchers" are actually "12 inchers" in the eyes of the Kawasaki engineers.

[This message has been edited by KawAbuser (edited 29 August 1999).]

KawAbuser, you're right Suzuki was inspired by a diving falcon, but I think what TeamHayabusa is trying to say is that the zx12 is inspired by a sanitary napkin. ;)

Boy this thread is heading downhill and off a cliff like a drunken Cow! :) Wonder if it will land on top of that smoldering wreck at the bottom that was once the phantom 12?

I very much doubt that a ZX12 ran 208 mph in California. The air temp is far too hot which equated to power loss.

When it was tested in Germany an much colder place compared to California it only ran 194 mph

Frats

Z

Back