Shocking Video

OB_Fitch

Registered
Well, I was shocked at what I saw today. It was a video of a Kawasaki ZX12? Being run at a dragstrip somewhere and on top speed. The numbers? Hold on to your helmets! 8.96 e.t. at 151mph and 206mph top speed! This was shown to me by a employee that must remain anonymous. I couldnt and cant believe it. Is this even posible?

My uncle works for Kawasaki, and I was at the track when they were running it through test runs, on the straights it regularly exceded 200 MPH (stock)

This is something that I had heard about at a dealer show. If this really comes to pass I think we Busa owners are in for big trouble. What worries me is that Suzuki may counter this with a faster bike then Ill be stuck with a slower bike that Ill lose alot of money on if I try to sell. You just cant win.

for the record,
if 9.86 corresponds to 146, then a time of 8.96 would have to bring the terminal speed to at least 156 or more
it's just simple math
so...
those numbers just don't jive as written
think about it
it will all make sense then
but...
on the other hand
we know kawa's history
there ain't no way in hell that they'll bring a bike out slower than our busa if they have to wait 2 more years to do so
they were always the king of speed in the past (before the XX... and only on some people's scorecards) and they will not rest until they are again
i really don't believe that they'll be able to increase the numbers over us the way we did over the XX but i know they will improve enough so that 100% of all testers out there will see that they have a faster and more track-worthy bike than our busa

the time has come when we must realize that bikes are no different than computers
we all know that the day you buy a computer, it is already out of date... that someone will see something 3 times faster for 1/2 the money 2 weeks down the road. bikes may take a year to improve upon but the top speed bike of the year will be just that... THE TOP SPPED BIKE FOR A YEAR !!!

for the record,
if 9.86 corresponds to 146, then a time of 8.96 would have to bring the terminal speed to at least 156 or more
it's just simple math
so...
think about it
but...
on the other hand
we know kawa's history
there ain't no way in hell that they'll bring a bike out slower than our busa if they have to wait 2 more years to do so
they were always the king of speed in the past (before the XX... and only on some people's scorecards) and they will not rest until they are again
i really don't believe that they'll be able to increase the numbers over us the way we did over the XX but i know they will improve enough so that 100% of all testers out there will see that they have a faster and more track-worthy bike than our busa

the time has come when we must realize that bikes are no different than computers
we all know that the day you buy a computer, it is already out of date... that someone will see something 3 times faster for 1/2 the money 2 weeks down the road. bikes may take a year to improve upon but the top speed bike of the year will be just that... THE TOP SPPED BIKE FOR A YEAR !!!

for the record,
it's just simple math
so...
think about it
but...
on the other hand
we know kawa's history

we all know that the day you buy a computer, it is already out of date... that someone will see something 3 times faster for 1/2 the money 2 weeks down the road. bikes may take a year to improve upon but the top speed bike of the year will be just that... THE TOP SPEED BIKE FOR A YEAR !!!

the only one who can stop this progression will be the governments of either (or both) side(s) of the pond

thanks for listening
reply as you wish

greg

I printed a error in the trap speed of the Kawasaki video, it was supposed to read 8.96 at 161 mph. Sorry, my error in typing. All I posted was what was shown on the video, I have no for sure way of verifying any of it. I hope its not true.

No kidding. But it sure is fun when you are at the top for a while. I will keep my XX for a long time. But I still like keeping up with the other big bikes that are out there. Who was the rider testing the 1/4 mile. That IS unreal. I think Uncle Sam might have something to say about all of this pretty soon.

A 161mph trap speed requires about 220-240 rear wheel HP. The E.T. would then depend on chassis set-up. It took Suzuki 25-30 HP to gain 10mph on the ZX11 in the 1/4 mile, now tell me again how the ZX12 is going to gain 15mph more in the 1/4.Go to dragbike.com and post the ZX12 numbers and ask the professionals what they think.

Somebody is smoking some crack. Turbo knows what he's talking about. The hp required to attain a 161 mph (or 151 mph) trap speed in the 1/4 mile would be over 200 hp. As an R1 owner I am extremely aware of the problems a short wheelbase and light weight presents in drag racing. I can hit 142 in the 1/4 mile but can't get into the 9's because or the R1's wheelbase and weight. The ZX-12 will be lighter than the Hayabusa and have a shorter wheelbase therefore making it less of a drag racer. It will have to have more mph to run the same e.t. as the Hayabusa. 8's .... not a snowballs chance in hell. 200 mph.... wouldn't be surprised.

Are u sure the name of the video owner wasnt George Lucas? I have heard he is pretty good in making digital videos looks like the real thing.
I see your $ 500 Kane and up to to $600 :)

Lets get real here guys, even kawasaki is only claiming mid 9's for the ZX12. That I could believe, but sub 9's???? Doubt it. Unless they are going to put a turbo and nitrous on a production bike. YEAH RIGHT. We will see next year.

I was able to veiw that Kawasaki video again several times. There was no audio. The bike appeared to be tied down in the front, the rider looked very tiny[120lbs?] This track did not look familar to me. If the Bus can turn mid 9s tied down then why couldnt a more powerful bike run quicker? The bus has 158 rwhp , if this Kawasaki is lighter and has say 170 rwhp or more why is it not possible? Also, I have a Bus and I dont appreciate being disrespected here. All I am telling is what I saw on the video. It almost makes me hope it is true now after some of these smartass no it all comments.

Fitch, before I put my note on previously... I had confirmed with a senior member of the Kawasaki dynasty that the bike had indeed not run that quick, and in fact, the bike has just barely nicked the nine second zone in Japan. There's a full report in "Beyond The Finishline #26" on DRAGBIKE.COM if you care to read about it.

-Marty Kane

You may want to read the latest info at motorcycleworld. They have released plans of the airbox setup. The ZX12 is now quoted as having at least 180hp at the crank and the top speed well over 200mph (217mph - I doubt it though). Looks pretty sleek to me.

all this speculation about the ZX-12? Just wait until it comes out and watch it smoke the competition. I'm a loyal Kawasaki owner but I admit the 1300 is a very nice bike.But what impresses me the most is the affordability of the bike. I've seen people spend a ton of money getting their street bike into the 9's and now you can buy one that does it stock for 10,500. A good deal and I really hope the ZX-12 is priced comparably.

Back