Shocking Video

gsxr1117, nope it's not stock. The best I could do bone stock was 10.46 @ 135 at stock ride height and that was 1 in a hundred passes (I was usually much slower). The R1 is just too damn hard to launch and too inconsistant.

Mods include, M4 full system, K&N filter, jetting, adj. ignition advancer, and front end tie down. HP is somewhere between 148-150 at the rear wheel. I'll be back on the dyno this Friday. A good 0-60 ft. time for me is around 1.70....and that's strapped down! Even with the tie down strap, it still wheelies like crazy. I turn 141-142 mph at Thunder Valley Raceway in Oklahoma City. Elevation is around 600 ft. The bike has the power to weight to easily run 9's, it just doesn't have the wheelbase :-(

hayabusa, please elaborate on "ZX-12 not due until 2001"??? Is this some late breaking news we don't know about yet?

hiabuser, please go back and reread my post.

The 10.46 @ 135 was bone stock. The 141-142 with 1.70 0-60 ft time is with the listed modifications. My e.t.'s are in the 10.1's. It's the 60-200ft area that's killing me. The front end just won't stay on the ground no matter how low the bike is. There are several things I could do suspension or wheelbasewise to easily get the bike into the 9's but that's just not what an R1 is all about. I insist on being able to ride the bike to the track in street form at stock ride height, spend only 5 minutes setting it up and only 5 minutes to put it back to full street. I also insist on fitting everything I need at the track in my trunk space. I promised myself I wouldn't turn the R1 into a dragbike. In reality, the R1 makes a pretty crappy dragbike.

yzf1, sorry, misread. those are still very respectable short times for such a beast. and i agree wholeheartedly about keeping it street legal and twistie ready. keep up the good work.
mike

DC,
Its Kawasaki with the ZX12, not Suzuki. Kawasaki has booked a show this Sept and yes, the ZX12 will be available early spring 2000.

If you go back and read the first post I made did you notice that I referred to the bike as a ZX12? notice the question mark? Turns out this bike is not a ZX12, but it is a Kawasaki being currently tested by factory personell. Did it go 8.96? Yes it did. Am I going to elaborate here? I think not. I would hate to be ridiculed by all the experts that visit here. Me being just a regular guy and others here being engineers, aerodynamic scholars and little if any less than gods of all knowing, thanks but no thanks. I hope this can be read ok with all this bad spelling.

Two things.
1. on the ZX-12. Suzuki has not booked any time/space for the launch of it at this year's European shows. IF it is coming out this year then that is VERY unusual. The major manufacturers usually confer on launch times/slots so that the press aren't torn between two launches at the same time.
My best guess is that Kawasaki is struggling to even match, let alone beat the Hayabusa and will keep tweaking it until it can. It will not be on sale for spring 2000. But it could follow later in the year.
SECOND: I've asked Fitch to email mail me with details of the famed video. He hasn't done so to date. I'd like to think he's just a bit busy at the moment...

Well Fitch, you got to hand it to the engineers, the aerodynamic scholars and the gods of all knowing.....they were are correct about one thing. The bike in that video of yours was certainly not a ZX-12!

One question, Fitch what did you do with the money Marty Kane offered you for a copy of the video? Put it down for a deposit on your new ZX12? Hmmmmm..... didn't think so.

One question, Fitch what did you do with the money Marty Kane offered you for a copy of the video? Put it down for a deposit on your new ZX12? Hmmmmm..... didn't think so.

Fitch, congrats, you got them all worried. If the video showed a legit 8.96 at 161, who cares if it was a Zx-12 or a UFO. It was a motorcycle and that tech is going to find its way into the Zx-12 or what ever. In the long run all of us will benefit from it, until they shuts us all down! Have you ordered yours?

Yep, sorry A2QK4U. My mind must have been on Suzuki's, odd that, being in a Hayabusa site and all...
So: Kawasaki has not booked space for the ZX12 to appear at any shows this year. That is a stone cold solid fact. Sorry, but there it is!

...and I still haven't heard from Fitch...

Scrap the above!
I've just checked again and the ZX12 is now booked to appear at the PARIS show in September. It will probably go on sale in the Spring.

Back