Shinko Tires

LiBusa

Registered
I'm not sure if I spelled the tire name right? I've had to replace my Pilot Powers twice in the last year due to a nail/screw. I'm wonder if these Shinko tires might be a cheaper alternative? What do you think?

Never heard of them. Got a weblink? Personally, even the most expensive tires are cheap compared to a wrecked bike.

Shinko's are cheaper, but the ones I've seen local are only rated for 168 MPH and don't seem to be that good a tire, just a cheap tire. I hear their good for dragging or make good tires for dragging. I've never ran them, so I can't truly say. I will probably go through six or seven rear tires the first year.

I personally have never used them, however I personally know 2 Busa owners that have with no compliants. One of them has gone in excess of 185 M.P.H. multiple times with no issues.

And they got pretty good mileage out of them.

Shinko's are good for what they are made for drag racing. I know guys that run them as an every day tire and have no problem with me personally I will not run them on my bike. Like I said they are good for what they are built for racing.

That's what I've heard, but I haven't bought any because of the W rating and I won't, but that's just me.

i use the shinko, they are w rated, but i have gone much faster than 168 , so far i have not had a problem! I'll cross my fingers!
beerchug.gif

I'm running one right now to see how it works out. I pulled a dunlop qualifier off that didn't last 3K.
NCPanther01 picked one up last ride'n season and still has plenty of tread left. We do a lot of highway and commute miles. just pick one up and give it a shot. you can always upgrade and sell it if you don't like it.

Boaz ran shinko's F&R at the bash and they did great. Yeah, they may be rated for "only" 168mph. "Only"?!! When's the last time you sustained a speed above 168mph? Don't fear the Shinko's. Heck, 95% of riders out there will not exceed the Shinko's full potential.

(GMbusa @ May 16 2007,06:07) Boaz ran shinko's F&R at the bash and they did great.  Yeah, they may be rated for "only" 168mph. "Only"?!!    When's the last time you sustained a speed above 168mph?     Don't fear the Shinko's.  Heck, 95% of riders out there will not exceed the Shinko's full potential.
+1

I'v had F&R for about 3 months now and no issues. I'm running a 200 on the rear so far so good. I'v gone beond 168 but will never be there for any sustained time. I like them.
biggrin.gif

i know a couple people that liek them. One being a drag racer on a busa, and the other being a street rider on a ZX9 I heard they are crap in the rain though. i think that's because of that tred pattern YUCK!!!

There are different models of Shinko tires. Most folks hear Shinko and automatically associate them with a Drag Tire.

Yokohama sold off their molds, etc. to Shinko a few years ago.

True - the Shinko 003/Stealth tire is widely used for Drag Racing; it's very popular in that arena. This is also the same model tire that Boazalmighty has on his Busa and rode with them at the Bash.

However, there are several models of Shinko tires to fit your riding style.

Checkout all the different models: Linksta!

I have the Shinko 009/Raven mounted front and rear. I love them! I rode with them at the Bash and never once lost confidence with the tires. Strips are gone front & rear.

Now that said, they fit my riding style. I live in KS; the closest thing to corner carving around here is a highway cloverleaf! So, most of my riding is commuting...on fairly straight roads. There's some twisties, but I hafta hunt them down. I'm looking for a tire that will last a while. I've got over 4,000 miles on them and there's still plenty of tread. Speaking of tread, the tread pattern kinda resembles the Kanji...

SHINKO-RAVEN-009.jpg

I can only speak to the 009/Ravens here...

Do they turn in as quickly as a Pilot Power? No, they are a flatter profile...but then most tires are compared to a PP!
tounge.gif
Shoot - ask those who were following me thru the Dragon (GSXcite, Hooken203, GSXtacy, semi) - the tires stuck just fine.
smile.gif

Do they heat up as quickly as a PP or a Metzeler M1? No, but the warm up isn't that bad. I'm not a person to start dragging knee as soon as I jump on 'cold' tires...I'll heat them up first.

Anyway - I'm not saying that Shinko's are the right tire for everyone, but for me they work great. And for around $170 shipped, I have a set of tires!

...just my
twocents.gif

I run the 003 Drag/Street tire. As stated, it is a monster with some heat in it on the strip or the street. It can get a little slippery when cold though. This is my second one, and I was thoroughly happy with the first. I ran it all the way to the steel!!

If you are draggin at all, get an 003. Other than that, get some Pilot Powers.

They're probably a very good everyday and light trip (touring of 2000+ miles I don't know) tire. But, if your going to do something really above your ability (above 140 mph is above most of our abilities to do safely and really all our abilities on a street surface with traffic)  and safty is an issue at that point, MONEY should NOT be an object. So go with the BEST tire you can buy.
beerchug.gif

I have them & think there great.I run the ultra soft003 & get about 2000 miles out of a set,but they offer harder compounds to meet your needs.

Back