shinko hook up vs s22 pic

pcs

Registered
new shinko hook up next to stock s22 with about 1k mile and both not mounted.
stock used s22 weighed 14 lbs
new hook up weighed 13.8 lbs

1678429973034.png

Dude just get a Michelin if that speaks to you or a Dunlop. Don’t get a car tire. Was Werner on slicks? That’s what STPI seems to have on his bikes and they absolutely require tire warmers if you go that route.
Hi. This is for my LSR set up. I do not know what Bill had on his bike. I think it was one of the 18 inch ones. I have the Michilin 200 /55 now on my 6 3/4 Marvic. On my Dymag 6 inch I have a Shinko 200 /50. I like there speed rating (Y) above 186 MPH. It would be a 215/45/17.

Question: (related to this thread)

Im a huge fan of the S22’s, had them on my H2, Gen-3 etc. Always in a 55 profile. They were ideal for me and I couldn’t fault them.

The new (to me) Gen-2 isn’t going to be carving through the mountains, or touring. It will be used more at the drags, but I’d like to keep it useable on the street, just for a bit of testing, coffee runs and maybe shows or meets.

I’ll be going back to a 50 from its current 55, but with the more focused drag tyres like the Hook-Up how short is their life going to be on the street ? I accept it may not be great, but are they still useable in terms of life as a street tyre? Can I realistically run a Shootout or Hook up on the street or will I kill them pretty quick with road miles ?

i have no long term use but i have been using the hook up on the street and it works fine. it does feel different on turns from the flatter profile and i also have my busa lowered. b mindful that the tire needs heat to hook up so it wouldnt hammer on the throttle without some heat in the tire.

i have no long term use but i have been using the hook up on the street and it works fine. it does feel different on turns from the flatter profile and i also have my busa lowered. b mindful that the tire needs heat to hook up so it wouldnt hammer on the throttle without some heat in the tire.
Thanks. The bike in question won’t be a daily ride or corner carver, I’m happy to live with some downsides to get any gains at the strip. Only thing I’d struggle with would be a very short tyre life If I ride to the strip or to shows, meets, coffee etc.

how much hp does your current setup have? maybe try a soft street tire? the q5 is a sticky type but last i checked they cost more than a hook up
I’ve run S22’s on other bikes. I love ‘em on the road This bike is pretty tame but I have spun street tyres a few times launching in the past at my local strip. Just playing with the idea of something a bit more sticky, bigger foot print.

Try a 003 stealth if they make those still. Still soft but lasts longer than a hook up on the street.

Or, just accept the hook up will wear a lil faster and replace em. They not super expensive

Thanks. I’m happy to look at other option. I’m also happy to suffer the cost of a tyres shorter life but short tyre life means inconvenience too. Just wondered if Hook-Up’s or DoT drag tyre dies real quick on the road.

Back