Mt mcr2 shootout vs  shinko ultra soft

Professor

Hayabusa Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Registered
Ok,

I ended up with both a Shinko Ultra soft and a mt Shootout tire. Anyone have any experience running both? My observations comparing the two.

MT seems to be about 5 lbs lighter
MT has much flatter profile putting more rubber to the ground.
My tire durometer is not to be found but they feel about the same.
Much less tread on the MT.
The Shinko is much stiffer

I think I'm going to try the MT first. On my basically stock (piped and tuned) bike, I should not have much of a problem with wheel spin. The pilot power hooked pretty good @ 20 lbs. I think it will last and take less to get it to hook.

I'm thinking I can spin it once to clean it and run. The shinko may take a bit more of a burnout to get it to stick.

This will never hit the street, It will be mounted on a spare wheel.

Any ideals on starting air pressure?

im running the u. soft right now at 4 over and i ran 20 lbs in it all day sat and never spun a tire. it was my first run on the new tire so i just heated it up really good the first time and it hooked great after that.

Your bike is basically stock.  Either tire will work.  But the Shinko Ultra is what you want to use.

I've used plenty of both tires.  95% of the racers in our Pro Street class use the Shinko Ultra.  It works well on a good track with our 64" NOS and turbo bikes putting out between 200-300 HP.  We run mid 8's to low 9's.  You can run it at the track and on the street.

The MCR2 is softer and will hook a little better but life is extremely short and it's an expensive tire (double the price).  Unless you are running Prostar's Pro Street class you probably don't need it.  You don't even want to think about using this tire on the street.

On a good track, either tire will get the job done.  On a bad track they might not.

On my Ultra I usually run between 8-20 pounds depending on track conditions and the amount of power (juicer) I decide to use that day. Assuming you have a good track, with your stock power/wheelbase bike I'd start about 22 psi and then go up and down from there to find the sweet spot. Every track/bike/rider is unique. Find what works for you.

<!--EDIT|Buzzard
Reason for Edit: None given...|1141835627 -->

The mcr2 will actually slow your bike down on top end if you don't have the hp. The shinko is plenty for your bike.

iI RAN THE MTSTREET LAST YEAR REALY DIDNT HOOK GOOD TILL IT WAS 1/2 WORN DOWN I got the ultra here now but not mounted.Im low budget must wear out mt before i mount it.:blush: I run the mt real low air like 9+10 lbs

i run a mt on my bike only because it came on a rim i bought,never tryed a shinko i usely run pirriella scuffs. but a friend of mine tryed it on his bike last weekend and about flipped his bike @ the last 60ft,(1/8)and his 220lbs and on gas, he sayed he heat the bottle to much.but i didn't see his bike lose traction the whole day. so i guess im going to try a u s shinko myself. what's the cost of a shinko u s?

I think mine was 165 +shipping from schnitz had it at my door in 3 days

make shure to tell them you want the ultra soft (if that what you want)

shinko

<!--EDIT|ROACH
Reason for Edit: None given...|1142174961 -->

the shinko is around 125-135 shipped from ebay, i love that tire. everyone uses it at the tracks around me, you can't even compare it to a street tire for traction. I used to use a metzler M-1P for street and track use but had a problem loosing traction when the bike hit 2nd gear (not a good thing), tossed that shinko on and haven't had a problem since. I don't put many miles on the bike on the street so i don't know about using it as an everyday tire but it sure is mean at the track.

Back