05-08 GSXR 1000 and Hayabusa Wheel Weight Comparison

02BLKnBLU

Registered
These are the weights that i came up with when doing my swap. The scale i was using isn't 100% accurate, but close. Sadly i don't have a tire changer and didn't want to pay to have them all dismounted and mounted again.

The FRONTS will include the weight of the wheel, bearings, and tires. NO ROTORS. The Front Tires are all 120/70/17.

Front Busa Chrome: 1/2 Tread Shinko 005
19.8 lbs
Front Busa Black: New Shinko 003
19.6 lbs
Front 1000 Blue: New Battlax 15
18.0 lbs

The REARS will include the weight of the wheel, bearings, tires. Sprocket and Rotor are specified. The Rear are all 190/50/17.

Rear Busa Chrome: Bald Shinko 003, OEM Rotor, OEM Sprocket
35.4 lbs
Rear Busa Black: 1/2 Tread Shinko 003, NO Rotor, Alum Vortex Sprocket
30.8 lbs
Rear 1000 Blue: Near New Battlax 15, OEM Rotor, OEM Sprocket
31.0 lbs

ENJOY! :beerchug:

Good work, im sure this info will be referenced alot. :thumbsup:
Im still lookin for a 1000 front wheel, got the spacers, just need a deal on a wheel

I was expecting more of a weight loss than that.... People claim up to 7 pounds per set. Looks like you lost less than 2 pounds. Not really worth the money for 2 pounds do you think?

I was expecting more of a weight loss than that.... People claim up to 7 pounds per set. Looks like you lost less than 2 pounds. Not really worth the money for 2 pounds do you think?

Maybe you should re-check your math? Also, take in consideration the variants of the tires/sprockets/rotors, they play a big part.

i went from Chrome Busa wheels with BALD tires to 1k wheels with NEW tires. That's roughly 6.2lbs + the weight of the missing tread on the Chrome Busa wheels, assuming Shinko's weigh less than Battlax's.

:whistle:

Maybe you should re-check your math? Also, take in consideration the variants of the tires/sprockets/rotors, they play a big part.

i went from Chrome Busa wheels with BALD tires to 1k wheels with NEW tires. That's roughly 6.2lbs + the weight of the missing tread on the Chrome Busa wheels, assuming Shinko's weigh less than Battlax's.

:whistle:

Thats where you went wrong, Shinko's are actually one of the heaviest tires on the market, deffinitely heavier than a battlax. I run 003u soft's on my busa with 1st gen 1k wheels, and there is a noticable difference in weight over the stock chrome busa wheels with the same 003u's on them. Now my 1k has 05 R1 polished wheels on it with Pilot Powers, and they are deffinitely lighter to pick up than the 1k wheels are with the shinko's. Ryan Schnitz told me once you will actually see a 3-5 hp loss by running a shinko 003, but they work so well that you just deal with it on the track. Next time I take mine apart, I'll get out the scale and see what's what as for 1st gen 1k's and the R1 swap. I know the R1 swap is lighter than the 05-08 1k wheel swap though. Oh and as for "is it worth it" when isint it worth it to put a different set of wheels on your bike, wether it be for looks or performance, or both. I did the R1 swap on my 1k and polished them out. Including the machine shop bill, I'm in at $380 for a *****in set of 5 blade wheels. Expect a set of those to show up on the punisher this winter too!

Last edited:
I were told there was a 7 lb difference in the set. Fastnotch2002 and I did a 05 1k swap on his 02 drag busa, and thats what he read the difference was. We also did the 05 1k front end just to lighten it up a bit more and make the front wheel swap over easier. I'll ask him where he found that at...

Back