Send me to the diesel forum

outlawbusa

1 wheel up aero testing
Donating Member
Registered
Yeah, I know...but I don't belong to any other forums so here goes~!~

I need to come up with a spoiler/wind deflector for the top of my Excursion. My trailer sits about 6-7 feet higher and pushes a lot of wind. (trailer is about 13 feet tall).

I have looked at some local shops and all over the internet. Haven't been able to locate anything.

I did see a home made job on an Excursion push vehicle at Maxton last event and will try to take a pic of it this event. He had made it out of 1/4 inch aluminum and bolted to the rack on the top.

Anyone seen any sort of deflector for large SUVs~?~

That's what I'm figuring...I'm just not that great at shaping metal, so I'll have some good "laugh at my job" pics to post up after I'm done...

Might be a winter project, but I'm hoping someone knows about one already made~!~

actually it shouldn't be all that hard mounting would be the biggest challenge. if you make a rolled frame with tube metal and then weld, rivet , bolt or screw (this should be a last resort) you should be able to form the sheet metal as you go. use the semi tractors for reference on what it should look like just figure out what height you want it. I'll try to do some digging but by the time I work it all out someone else will most likely have a better answer. :beerchug:

Maybe something like this? :laugh:

spoiler.jpg

I cant remember the name of the site.. but you should be able to find something for 1 ton trucks that you can apply to your SUV... while making one might be an idea... i wouldnt suggest it :)

check out dieselplace.org (dont tell them you are in a ford... its a chevy hot spot)

Here - $90 & up to $300 depending on size & fixed vs adjustable

G_14985G_CL_1.jpg

&

Here - Alot more.... for trucks pretty much though but you might be able to make it work.

I_303024_CL_1.jpg

Last edited:
Very good~!!~ I must have been searching under vehicle specific information...

This'll help out a great deal. Thanks~!!~ :beerchug:

the tighter you can get it against your roof the better. the more air goes underneath it the worse and can actually hurt mileage and performance.

the tighter you can get it against your roof the better. the more air goes underneath it the worse and can actually hurt mileage and performance.

HHmmm, I'm sure you are right...and good point~!~

That would eliminate the easy button...mounting it to the existing rack on top of the hauler~!~ I might get one that does not go all the way across and mount it between the side bars on the rack...

Outlaw, there has been a lot of testing for add-on spoilers. NONE of them actually work..........The top of the spoiler has to be within inches of the trailer to make ANY difference. There are trailer mounted composite "bubbles" that mount on the front of the trailer and they help, but testing has proven that for the time and money spent, are not worth it. I have been pulling trailers for 25 years and have been through it all..........

Back