Diesel trucks?

07vigorblue

Donating Member
Registered
I have my SS camaro sold guy is coming to get it this weekend. really been having the itch for a full size 4 door 4x4 diesel either powerstroke or duramax. Im wondering how many of you on here have diesels and are they worth it. if you had to do it a gain would you buy another or go back to gas. What are some hidden costs to own a diesel etc.etc. Thanks in advance for all input.

Depends on what you need it for, for hauling can't beat a diesel, if you going to be going and hauling distances I would go with the diesel the titan fuel tank upgrade(57gallon) increases range to some pretty sick mileage. If you going to just be hauling the Busa around don't really need the big Turbo diesel but because the bigdog is diesel the fuel mileage will be close to that of the smaller V8 gas trucks. If I had to choose a pickup I'd go with the medium duty diesel be ready to haul almost anything you could throw at it. I have driven powerstroke and Duramaxs for many years, my favorite is Duramax & Allison combo. There was a slight problem with the new Duramax engine not sure if the engineers already worked it out.

If want it to just drive around, get ready to spend some bucks. Diesel cost more then premium unleaded, oil changes are 100.00 if you do them yourself but every 5k miles isnt bad. Power strokes need new fuel filters every 15k, do your homework and make you get one with a clean oasis report, you dont want a lemon with a diesel. Now I love my Powerstroke. If you buy Ford, stay away from the 6.0's that are 06 an older unless you can confirm head stud replacement, 08 and up I have not heard of any issues. Do some research at Ford Powerstroke Forum. They are just like us but with Ford Trucks. Good luck bro.

2011-06-20_17-19-11_389.jpg

I went with the Dodge Ram 2500 Megacab with the 5.9 liter Cummings. Fuel milage is decent for a truck that size. 22 mpg highway empty not towing. Worst I've gotten is ~15 mph, with 3 people and pulling the trailer with 2 bikes and the ramp gate on. It takes 30 miles or so to get warmed up and running efficiently, so like was said before,
It isn't a good vehicle for running a bunch of short errands with.

I run two Powerstrokes and love them (both primary vehicles and daily drivers). I wouldn't argue with the Duramax or Cummins either though, and hear good things about them. There's always something bad you hear about any engine you look at, and Ford's have their share of bad hearsay...but take care of them and they usually take care of you.

I believe in letting any engine warm up. Be prepared to give your Diesel some extra time with 15 quarts of oil to make sure your injectors, etc do not get damaged. A remote starter helps in the Winter time. Sometimes will allow to warm up about 8-10 minutes before moving and don't want to hit over 2000 rpms until the needle is moving.

I went with the Dodge Ram 2500 Megacab with the 5.9 liter Cummings. Fuel milage is decent for a truck that size. 22 mpg highway empty not towing. Worst I've gotten is ~15 mph, with 3 people and pulling the trailer with 2 bikes and the ramp gate on. It takes 30 miles or so to get warmed up and running efficiently, so like was said before,
It isn't a good vehicle for running a bunch of short errands with.

Yep, if you don't tow heavy on a regular basis, stick with a gas burner. I drive a 2007 Dodge MegaCab 2500 4x4 with the 5.9 Cummins/6 speed manual and love it. You can work it hard or just cruise around and it's happy either way. I have a few mods (intake, exhaust, programmer) and have seen 21-22 mpg empty and 13-14 mpg towing 25,000 lbs.

My past diesel experience included several Powerstrokes (7.3's, 6.0's and 6.7's) and Duramax's, this is what led me to the Dodge/Cummins combo. Good Luck.
utf-8BSU1HMDAwMDEuanBn.jpg

Duramax/Allison combo is pretty tough to beat, 80k miles zero issues, pulls what I need it to with plenty left over. I don't see myself ever going back to gas unless diesel continues to rise in price.

Got this for sale if interested. Truck and trailer together for $18,500.
More info in the classifieds

Lark 7x14 Trailer 001.JPG

Selling it to go bigger!!!!

Lark 7x14 Trailer 001.JPG

I love ford powestrokes but stay far away from 2003-2007. That's when they had the 6.0L engine and its a two piece block that will leak and the injectors are junk. I have a fleet of powerstrokes at work so I know lots about them.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

If you do not need a diesel, check out the new Eco Boost Fords. They have a lot to offer for a gasoline engine.

Im looking overall reliability of the diesel they run forever if you take care of them and I can haul pretty well what ever I want. But most I will haul is the bikes maybe a boat and a car or two to the track. If I get a powerstroke it will be a 7.3 like the look of the fords best and a dodge is out of my price range. I don't care about the price of gas diesel is the same where I live

All I can say is I'm a Ford guy. But DON'T buy a 3/4 or 1 ton truck unless you NEED one.. Maintenance is more money, fuel is more money, and the ride quality suffers just from the heavy duty suspension.
I bought a V10 F250 and to this day, this is the most its hauled. It gets 11mpg on the freeway, 9 around town :banghead:

IMAG0346.jpg

IMAG0346.jpg

I would steer way clear of diesels:whistle:
First thing is you say you wont do anything to it, then it becomes an obsession for power, after 500hp it starts getting real expensive but you cant stop it drives you then you have to build something else to keep the daily driver together:rofl:

687hp/1490ftlbs (was back on the rollers again last friday)
16mpg with 18k lbs behind it
20-22mpg empty
Only issue the truck has ever given me was i gelled the fuel in the aftermarket pump setup last winter when we were seeing -30(not the trucks fault) and a broken billet output shaft 2 weeks ago
DSC_0050.jpg

If you get a Ford. Stay with the 7.3 Motor. Chevy make sure it has the Allison Transmission (Bullet Proof). I am in the business so I know what I am talking about

Robert

All I can say is I'm a Ford guy. But DON'T buy a 3/4 or 1 ton truck unless you NEED one.. Maintenance is more money, fuel is more money, and the ride quality suffers just from the heavy duty suspension.
I bought a V10 F250 and to this day, this is the most its hauled. It gets 11mpg on the freeway, 9 around town :banghead:

View attachment 230882

Who misses their Subi? :lol:

I owned a 2000 F-2shytty with a 7.3 PowerJoke. I had intake, exhaust and a chip in it. It was fast......and my little 1/2 ton Chevy with a 5.3 gas engine could out tow it on a hill.

The 2007 and older 4x4 chevys had transfer case pump issues (rubbing through the t-case and dumping its fluid while driving)
If you mod the chevys with the allisons, buy an extra NSBU switch to keep in the glove box. :whistle:

I hate the sound of a Cummins. They sound like someone should have done rod and main bearings 50k miles ago....and it will probably be my next truck :banghead:

I owned a 2000 F-2shytty with a 7.3 PowerJoke. I had intake, exhaust and a chip in it. It was fast......and my little 1/2 ton Chevy with a 5.3 gas engine could out tow it on a hill.

I'm not buying this. Sorry. The 7.3 was a workhorse. Something was wrong with yours..

96 Dodge with 5.9 Cummins. Love it. 225,000+ miles on it. My son drives it daily until I buy him something to drive. 19-20 mpg hwy, 13-15 mpg city. Thinking of keeping keeping it for another 10 years.
I don`t really haul anything. But when I have that Cummins cuts the mustard.
Guys at work have Duramax, good units, good mpg.
Ford looks the best, and is hit or miss. And that is on quality and fuel milage. A diesel getting 12 mpg or less on the hwy is insane.
Buy Dodge or Chevy. Ford needs to get its act together.

^^ Yep the 7.3 wasn't the fastest but we have 3 of them in our fleet and they still out preform the rest of them. The 6.0L was a joke. All our 7.3L have at least 300,000 on the clock too.

Now judging by my name I'm a little partial. I love my Duramax Diesels.. if I bought another one I would buy a 2005 GMC or Chevy with the upgraded LBZ motor and the 6spd Allison Tranny (before 05' they used the 5 speed version)... I loved my 04' but sold it when Diesel prices started getting near $5/gal and my commute was nearly an hour everyday. I usually avg'd 16mpg city and 18-23mpg on the hwy with the 5spd Ally so I would assume the numbers got better with the 6spdrs. Also as with most diesels they are getting harder and harder to modify the newer they are... and most have gone to a urea injection system to clean up the exhaust. It is an addiction though for that more power.. I dumped nearly $10K into mine with an upgraded turbo, intercooler, tranny mods, computer programmer, intake, exhuast, and more. There are not many better things than wiping the smug smile off some unsuspecting mustang or camaro owner as your crew cab 4X4 leaves them in a cloud of black smoke!

But on the other hand.. if you don't really need a diesel for towing and such I'd think of something different.. the rides is ususally alot worse than on a 1/2 ton (mine only got better with 1000+lbs in the bed.. then she rode like a caddy).. and replacement parts can get expensive. Plus when gas prices go on the rise diesel is usually one of the first to go up and last to come back down.

Back