Diesel trucks?

If want it to just drive around, get ready to spend some bucks. Diesel cost more then premium unleaded, oil changes are 100.00 if you do them yourself but every 5k miles isnt bad. Power strokes need new fuel filters every 15k, do your homework and make you get one with a clean oasis report, you dont want a lemon with a diesel. Now I love my Powerstroke. If you buy Ford, stay away from the 6.0's that are 06 an older unless you can confirm head stud replacement, 08 and up I have not heard of any issues. Do some research at Ford Powerstroke Forum. They are just like us but with Ford Trucks. Good luck bro.

Diesel fuel prices are stupid and suck. Right now I can get it for $3.79 but reg is $3.59 so like he said get ready for big gas bills. I am getting 19mpg out of my 09 Silverado 2500 with the allison trans. I love the truck and wouldn't trade it but I am getting sick of $500+ each month to drive it. As for the $100 oil change Go to walmart. I only spend about $40 to get mine done and they use 10 qt of rotella. The store I goto bases it off the regular oil change price and charge for the extra oil and that's it.

IMG_7016a.jpg

Im looking overall reliability of the diesel they run forever if you take care of them and I can haul pretty well what ever I want. But most I will haul is the bikes maybe a boat and a car or two to the track. If I get a powerstroke it will be a 7.3 like the look of the fords best and a dodge is out of my price range. I don't care about the price of gas diesel is the same where I live

i think the last part of your statment is not true dodges tend to be cheaper priced the the rest as they tend to start lower at dealer. had pressed to go wrong with any of the 3, me i'm a dodge guy and love my cummins but again any of the 3 are good

The used dodges tend to hold they're values alot better, out here atleast a clean 100k mile say 04-06 dodge will cost you 20k+
My buddy picked up a 04 powerstroke last year with 100k for 11k, i had just paid 18k for my 02 dodge

The used dodges tend to hold they're values alot better, out here atleast a clean 100k mile say 04-06 dodge will cost you 20k+
My buddy picked up a 04 powerstroke last year with 100k for 11k, i had just paid 18k for my 02 dodge

That must be based on location and popularity or strictly market quantity. You can get a Dodge here cheaper than a Ford. Gas or Diesel. Chevys here are tough to find with Diesels.
The Chevys seem to rust away faster here in Wisconsin than the Ford/Dodge trucks. They must have fixed the Dodges from that. Dodge trucks used to rust out just looking at them wrong.

Back to the original people saying what is true. You really can't go too wrong with ANY newer diesel truck. Just make sure you NEED a 3/4 or 1 ton truck and don't just WANT one.

i think the last part of your statment is not true dodges tend to be cheaper priced the the rest as they tend to start lower at dealer. had pressed to go wrong with any of the 3, me i'm a dodge guy and love my cummins but again any of the 3 are good

You took that the wrong way. With my budget i cant afford the cummins the i want its out of my price range..

As much as i want a diesel sounds like i need a gas burner. i only drive about 4 miles round trip to work everyday. I wont be hauling stuff on a regular basis either. plus im sure a gas truck will haul what i need it to.

As much as i want a diesel sounds like i need a gas burner. i only drive about 4 miles round trip to work everyday. I wont be hauling stuff on a regular basis either. plus im sure a gas truck will haul what i need it to.

Well then, get a 3/4 ton gasser. You can underwork a diesel too, which is not good for them.

I have been wanting an excursion diesel.Can haul the family and a huge load.Also a toy hauler.I am partial to ford but will agree with certain years of powerstrokes had a lot of issue.The 7.3 was a great engine.I like the cummins, also a good engine, worked at dodge.Pretty easy to maintain and lots of power mods.I havent heard anything really good about the duramax.I dont like GM products really but thats me.The new eco-boost is neat but they are having issues with them already.I hear good stuff about the new toyota Tundra for hauling.Not a fan of the Titan

You won't even get heat in the winter driving it 2 miles.. You'd have to let a diesel warm up for like 20 min everyday idling in the driveway just to defrost the windshield.

You'd kill a diesel with your driving. Condensation and Carbon buildups are the death of a diesel engine. You have to TOW heavy frequently to stop these from murdering your motor..
Just buy a gas motor. I know, it sux, but it will cost you less, and you'll be happier in the long run..

Diesel fuel prices are stupid and suck. Right now I can get it for $3.79 but reg is $3.59 so like he said get ready for big gas bills. I am getting 19mpg out of my 09 Silverado 2500 with the allison trans. I love the truck and wouldn't trade it but I am getting sick of $500+ each month to drive it. As for the $100 oil change Go to walmart. I only spend about $40 to get mine done and they use 10 qt of rotella. The store I goto bases it off the regular oil change price and charge for the extra oil and that's it.

Thats pretty cool Jim, but I am afraid of the local techs here. I buy my oil at walmart, T-5 Rotella and my filters at Oriellys. I usually spend right at 100 for filter and oil.

Well I am rocking the 2005 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax. Just recently took it from San Diego to Reno, NV (about 550 miles) and back through the Sierras. I have the new Banks 6-guns kit, 16k 5th wheel, and 5k rear airbags. I was carrying 15.5k lbs of busa and trailer 4 adults and a baby. Handled it like a champ. The only thing was that I got an "excessive transmissions slippage" halfway home. It did get a little warm on the engine and tranny going up those 8% grades but didnt get into the red...10MPG under that load, and 19-21 unloaded.

Busa Stampede 2011 049.jpgBusa Stampede 2011 003.jpg

Busa Stampede 2011 049.jpg

Busa Stampede 2011 003.jpg

If buying new, you might look into the Ecoboost F150. I considering one in a couple of years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KillerRudy has the new EcoBoost. Just want to point out, if you get the one with 4 doors, 4x4 and all that jazz, you will not get the advertised fuel economy. he can pust it up to 22-24 MPG (i think) but everytime I see it, its about 16.5-17.5MPG. Shexy truck though.

I'm not buying this. Sorry. The 7.3 was a workhorse. Something was wrong with yours..
There is a hill between my house and my dads house. With my tractor on his trailer the Ford struggled to keep above 50 mph. My Silvy will accelerate up this hill towing the same load...
Empty, the Ford would easily pull away from the Chevy. I could get 28 psi boost out of it no problem, so boost leaks weren't an issue.
I had all kinds of problems with the Ford. My friend has one almost identical, just 1 year newer, no major issues... Just me, but I wouldn't buy another one..

There is a hill between my house and my dads house. With my tractor on his trailer the Ford struggled to keep above 50 mph. My Silvy will accelerate up this hill towing the same load...
Empty, the Ford would easily pull away from the Chevy. I could get 28 psi boost out of it no problem, so boost leaks weren't an issue.
I had all kinds of problems with the Ford. My friend has one almost identical, just 1 year newer, no major issues... Just me, but I wouldn't buy another one..

Yea not a problem at all, both my 02 dodge and dmax were terrible in the hills especially when they hit altitude. Both of em with 2 snowmobiles on a 2 place trailer would absolutely struggle to hold 50mph above about 6k feet. For a "closed provides its own air" system you wouldnt think they would but some do.
My 06 is a freak show. When we brought my buddies 34' magic powerboat home on a tri axle trailer we came over the mountains averaging 85+mph, didnt even feel it, his 7.3 super duty struggles to stay above 45 on the same hills.
Same with monument hill, semis are in the right lane with the hazards on i could run about 60 with crazy hot egts and coolant temps, we raced in pueblo and the 06 cleared monument with 3 other trucks at 85, defueled once on coolant temp going over 230

Back