So I'm Planning My Beat The Freaking Heat Vacation This Year. Anybody Help With Alaska?

TallTom

Registered
I try and take a break from this heat once a year by picking a place that is pleasant in July/August. Take 2 weeks out of the heat and the rest of the heat seems more bearable when I return.

I have done South America (reverse seasons), Seattle, The Dragon, etc.

This year I'm doing an inside passage cruise up the Alaskan coast. 12 days and only 2 days at sea and the rest are port of calls up the coastal Alaska stops. A whole crap load of shore excursion choices that I need to make.

Itinerary is:

Seattle to inside passage to Juneau to Skagway to Tracy Arm to Victoria BC back to Seattle. I am not too concerned with the Seattle or Victoria portions. Its the rest that have lots of choices without enough descriptions to know the best ones to take in. There are several Glacier excursions. But I'm kinda....you seen one Glacier you've seen them all kind of thinking. Iceberg excursions I would maybe do if I know they are cool things to do. I've petted seals, seen whales, seen bears, seen fish, so I don't need to repeat those.

Like for instance. If I pay to go whale watching, do I get my money back if they can't find any? I've seen whales up close. While I'd do it again, I'd not spend the $300 bucks to take a trip to not see one.

I'm thinking I want to do the train up the Skagway pass and then do the bike ride down the decent. That seems very cool but its half a day commitment.

Then they have several zipline options that conflict with other schedules. So I have to make choices. Not interested in gold panning excursions or eating smoked salmon or going to the Hatcheries

Any suggestions out there?

I try and take a break from this heat once a year by picking a place that is pleasant in July/August. Take 2 weeks out of the heat and the rest of the heat seems more bearable when I return.

I have done South America (reverse seasons), Seattle, The Dragon, etc.

This year I'm doing an inside passage cruise up the Alaskan coast. 12 days and only 2 days at sea and the rest are port of calls up the coastal Alaska stops. A whole crap load of shore excursion choices that I need to make.

Itinerary is:

Seattle to inside passage to Juneau to Skagway to Tracy Arm to Victoria BC back to Seattle. I am not too concerned with the Seattle or Victoria portions. Its the rest that have lots of choices without enough descriptions to know the best ones to take in. There are several Glacier excursions. But I'm kinda....you seen one Glacier you've seen them all kind of thinking. Iceberg excursions I would maybe do if I know they are cool things to do. I've petted seals, seen whales, seen bears, seen fish, so I don't need to repeat those.

Like for instance. If I pay to go whale watching, do I get my money back if they can't find any? I've seen whales up close. While I'd do it again, I'd not spend the $300 bucks to take a trip to not see one.

I'm thinking I want to do the train up the Skagway pass and then do the bike ride down the decent. That seems very cool but its half a day commitment.

Then they have several zipline options that conflict with other schedules. So I have to make choices. Not interested in gold panning excursions or eating smoked salmon or going to the Hatcheries

Any suggestions out there ?

The train in Skagway is a good choice. Did that about 10 years ago and loved it. Very scenic for sure. As for the whale watching, not usually guaranteed to spot whales. Splerge and do a helicopter tour to a glacer. You will regret it later if you don't!
Troy

My two most memorable moments from my trip up there were doing the sled dog ride on a glacier and doing a fairly aggressive rafting run. Did the zip line thing too, glad I went but now that they are more common I'd recommend spending the time doing something more Alaskan. Enjoy the trip, I had a blast!

Back