Scheduled maintainence

busabutter

Registered
My first 600 are coming up, do I really need to take it in or can I do it myself? What do they do besides change the oil and filter?

According to the service manual, the 600 mile service includes changing the oil and filter, checking the idle speed, inspecting the throttle cable play, inspecting the brakes, inspecting the drive chain, tightening the exhaust bolts, and tightening chassis nuts.

If you feel you can handle that, then I would say go for it. However, if you have any issues down the road that may need to be covered in warranty, they may burn you on it.

I got 10,000 miles on my '06 and I've never had it back to the dealer. I do all my own maintaince. According to my dealer, as long as I keep receipts and records, the warranty was good. Besides, I like doing it myself. I know what's been done, how it's been done, and that it's been done right!

Hotrod:

I agree with you 100% on that one. I'd much rather do all my own work on any of my vehicles. Well, except my Infiniti....that's an entirely different story.

I am a bit of a do it yourselfer myself. I do all my own services. I just keep all the receipts so if I need to take it in for any warranty work, I can show that the services have been done.

I would have the 600 mile check done by the dealer. That is just my opinion. I believe you have a lot better chance of getting warranty work done (hopefully you won't need any) if you take that excuse away from the stealership.

Don

I had mine 600 miler done by dealer only because I bought it used. (229miles). Just wanted piece of mind down road.

i took mine in for the first check-up.I don't think they did everything that they were supposed to but i took it in to make it look good for the warranty.
Keeping records and doing the rest of the check-ups myself sounds like a good plan.

i do all my oil changes at the dealer so when i sell it i can get a print out from them as a selling point
wink.gif

Like ohers, I do all my own service and maintenance. Keep ALL the receipts. I also have a spreadsheet of all the service done, mileage and date. It also includes what I did (such as specifically tighten chassis bolt to X lbs), brand of oil, chain adjustment / lube, etc.

With meticulous records like that, it lends peace of mind to a buyer should you ever sell. It always is a fantastic maintenance record and Suzuki will honor your warranty. I am particular that way and I want some peace of mind that my 3 year extended warranty will be valid.

The only things I don't do myself are PC mapping (of course!) and "internal" engine work like valve adjustment etc. I'll let the pros do the down n dirty stuff or stuff that requires special equipment, otherwise I do it myself.

After all... it's my ass that's on it doing triple digits and I want to know bolts have been torqued correctly.
firedevil.gif

My first service cost me $140.00 . I've done all my oil changes since . A guy I know called me from the stealer today . He went up for a new rear tire and an oil change and they hit him for over $300 just for that . I tried to warn him . I said use my stand , take the wheel up there and have them change the tire and just by the oil and filter and I'll show you how it's done . But did he listen ? NOOOOOO!

When it comes to tires, I just order them online, put the bike up on stands, take the wheels off, give them to a friend of mine who works at Tire Rack, then take them to the stealer and pay $5 a wheel for balance.

mines a 2000 got the cam chain tentioner recall around the time my first service was do let them do it and got charged 120 for an oil change . ill never go back again ouch

Back