oil and filter change

BUSAFETT

Registered
I've been working on cars since I was 14, and maintained my '88 Katana before getting my Busa. By Spring it will be ready for the 2nd oil change of its life- I did not do the first one so I am wondering if there are any dos-don'ts involved with the Busa oil and filter change?

Thanks.

the only thing i can think of is lay a rag around the header to soak up the oil from the filter. other than that its a easy process.

easy but dont over torque the drain bolt and get a oil filter scoket.

Get the green bible and a six pack.
beerchug.gif

15-20 minute job for me. Use the search button....there are a 100 threads about this.

You are not going to have ANY problems.

LOL.

Removing the fairing is time-consuming is all. Good advice above on getting the oil filter wrench. Also, make sure you get a NEW compression washer for the drain bolt. Replace it every time you change the oil. It's well worth it to do so.

Follow the owner's manual directions and you'll be fine.

--Wag--

(ranman @ Jan. 13 2007,08:32) easy but dont over torque the drain bolt a
best advice you can get.... the stock torque is too much and will make it leak. Mine slightly leaks now even with a new crush washer.

(BUSAFETT @ Jan. 13 2007,21:38) Eek!  Pull the fairing?  Hmm..  The Kat was so much easier...

Thanks guys.
It is easy. Take the right-side off and it is all right there. Clean the fairing inside and out and put it back on. Put a piece of masking tape on the nose piece so you don't scratch it. Put a piece of foil over the header so the oil doesn't drain on it.

(Wag @ Jan. 13 2007,21:08) You are not going to have ANY problems.  

LOL.

Removing the fairing is time-consuming is all.  Good advice above on getting the oil filter wrench.  Also, make sure you get a NEW compression washer for the drain bolt.  Replace it every time you change the oil.  It's well worth it to do so.

Follow the owner's manual directions and you'll be fine.

--Wag--
Just got all the sxtuff to do mine before putting the fairings back on. The dealer needed to order the crush washer. That tells me they don't change them like they are supposed to.

Busafett, you've been here long enough to know this stuff. You'll be fine.

I use aluminum foil shaped over the headers to direct the oil spill from the filter. You'll still likely have a little spilled oil burn on the headers next time you start her up...don't be alarmed.

definately an easy job. I take the fairings off each time I change the oil just to look over the bike and see if anything else leaks or is out of place and to clean the back sides of the fairings. Fairings can definately hide problems that you may not catch until you're to late. Definately worth the extra twenty minutes to take them all the way off.
beerchug.gif

I don't even know what the torque spec is for that drain bolt. I just finger tighten until it touches, then about a 1/4 turn or slightly more after that. Just enough to snuggy it up.

You might even think it's a little too loose at that point. Go ahead and give it another slight nudge and you'll be fine from there. It won't come out.

--Wag--

It is easy to do. Fairing will take just a few min. to remove. Like the others have said, use masking tape on the nose piece where it mates up to the right side fairing to eliminate scratches when putting back on. If you have a second pair of hands when putting the fairing back on it helps, my wife has gotten quite good at this. Page 7-6 of your owners manual will tell you how to remove the fairing. Aluminum foil around the header will keep the oil off when removing the old filter. Tighten the new filter two full turns from the first point of contact with the mating surface. New crush washer on the drain bolt, don't overtighten, run and check for leaks and replace the fairing and your good to go.
beerchug.gif

You may want to safety wire the drain plug. Mark the plug where it lines with one of the oil pan fins then remove it & drill across the flats. After you install it drill the fin on the pan then wire it in place.

one thing I can mention, the first time I took the fairing off I didn't know about the push pin up above the fender.  It drove me nuts!  Could not figure out for the life in me what was holding me up as I had removed all the bolts.  Foil over the header is good.  I run mine with the fairing off after I'm done so that if I did spill on the header it'll smoke off before reassembling.  Read the book if you have one, if not download it in the maintainence thread.  It's pinned.  And last but not least remember to dispose of used oil properly.  Let us know how you made out.

Oh yeah - My filter wrench doesn't fit behind the header so I've been using one of THESE and it's worked well for me.  Available at Sears

Back