Scariest moments

Hunt NXS

Registered
I was riding a friends KZ 1000 when I was about 17, thats 20 yrs. ago, doing about 120, slowed down for the exit ramp, got down around 60 or so and the engine siezed. The rear wheel locked up, I leaned forward and let her slide. When we trucked it back to my house, the gears were all melted together, not a drop of oil to be found.

On my Ninja 750, 1989, Northern California, switched lanes big time tank slapper, about an 8 on the pucker factor, going about 90.

Totalled my 750 about 3 months later. Picked up my bike from the shop, recall on the brakes, they were real soft. I had my normal route with a decent jump over RR tracks, lands so smoothly, but there was a Datsun B210 stopped on the other side. I hit the brakes, but they were not spongy any longer, they locked up. The bike ended up under the Datsun, lifted it off of the ground, I rolled through oncoming traffic, no helmet etc. My hands were like potato chips, burned to a crisp. That one I thanked God for. My parents made me ride a bicycle to school for the next year or so. Sure hurt the dating life, but I'm a much better person for it. Plus, I started riding my bike competitively, lost a ton of weight. Then I bought a Ducati 896 (i think), man that bike was fun. Sold it, then the Busa, and now another Busa on the way.

My step dad is a surgeon, he used to take me when he would have a bike accident, thats where he got most of his organ donors.

I was leaving work one afternoon last summer. I was trying to pull out of the parking lot but the road I wanted to merge onto was busy as crap. I finally got a small break in the traffic so I decided to try and shoot into it. The only problem was that I juiced it to much while in a turn. The back wheel spun and the bike started to come out from underneath me. I let up off of the gas but that threw me into a tank slapper. I had absolutely no control of the bike at this moment. I looked up and I was headed into the oncoming lane of traffic. A big white ford f-350 was headed my way. My handle bars were banging from lock to lock and I was sure I was fixing to high side and DIE!. Somehow, I twisted the throttle and the bike came out of the whobble and I missed the Ford by inches, passing down the driver side of the truck. I pulled into a Wendy's parking lot and commenced to crap my pants, lay down in the parking lot, thank the Lord for his protection, and the Passed Out.

They are so dangerous, but they are even more addicting. One of my good friends lost control, hit a tree and lost his arm.

My cousin was on the back with her boyfriend last summer, an older couple pulled out in front of them, he lost control hit a tree and died. My cousin, she got pretty busted up as well, but pulled through.

I'm getting life insurance on myself, for my children, just in case.

well...welcome to the world of pain...just try to avoid as much as you can that's all...
sad.gif

<!--EDIT|hydrabusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1144933431 -->

A number of years ago I was riding a Honda NightHawk. Had one of those half helmets with the flip down shield. I was just crusin' along when a bird flew into the shield. SCARED THE SHID OUT OF ME!!! Shield shattered, bird blood and feathers all over the place. If I'm not mistaken I screamed like a girl!!! I lost control and went off the road into the weeds and ditch. A little scraped and bruised but luckily nothin broken. That was the day I switched to a full face helmet and never wear anything but.

I was just driving slow (30mph) on a block near my house and an old lady (around 80) guns her massive car backwards out of her driveway. I lock both brakes up. Then she puts the car in drive and leaves. After I gain my composure I pull up to her at a red light, she looks over to me and waves hello. The old lady could hardly even see over the dash board and had glasses like the old coke bottles. I didn't even open my mouth, just looked at her in amazement.

Mine would have to be last monday. I was rinding this road that had a couple turns that I like to really crank her up on. Normally it is a pretty dead road when I am riding it. Well this time when I was pulling out of the corner going about 60 and here's a semi truck blocking both lanes because he was making his wide right hand turn right towards me on the oppisite side of the road. So I stood that bike up, slammed on the brakes and made my way around him.

Coming up to an intersection on a friends Katana 750 way back in 95'. There is a SHELL station on the other side of the lights. I go through the lights at 50ish (speed limit) and this (fill in the blank) idiot in a 15 passenger Dodge van pulls out of the station about 30 feet in front of me. They are blocking pretty much the whole damn road when the driver sees me and stops dead. I cut right so I wouldn't hit it broadside and when off the highway into the sandy mess at the shoulder, somehow got the damn thing back onto the pavement on the other side of the van and stopped about a 1/4 mile up the road. Man my heart was pounding, my legs didn't want to stop shaking... The van just drove by and kept going. It took me a good 10 minutes to relax enough to get back on the damn bike.

That was one of my 2 "I almost died" days...

I'd had the Busa about 2 weeks and was riding some backroads in WV.  I came up on a straight and opened her up.  I was tucked and watching the speedo and as I was up to about 135 or so I started to run out of road (where I would have normally started braking......now knowing) but I wanted to get up to 140.  I didn't realize how fast I was running out of road and as I got on the brakes HARD I transferred most of the weight to the front (heavy front brake usage) and the back tire locked up and at 100+ I started swaying side-to side.  Now, I realize this is fairly common for people to do under hard braking but I had just gotten the bike and it was my first sports bike (not first bike though).  As I entered the turn I scrubbed off just enough speed to pick a line and ride through the curve.  After I went through the curve I pulled off to the side of the road and cerimoniously removed the chunk of seat from my crack!

Lets see "Scariest moments, On your bike that is"
Thats gonna have to be the day I picked it up and drove it for the first time, lots and lots of power, went up the block and had to check my shorts!

Wizeguy- Great story ! How about riding down a wooded curvy road when a porche carrara S wants a peice of you. So I start carving some high speed turns...down shifting and accelerating hard on the straights, with the Porche a few car lengths behind me  and hanging in there. Then I feel it.....Somehow a wasp got into my helmet, and ended up at the rear edge(by my neckline) and starts to bite and sting me!! Oh, Christ. I somehow managed to slow down enough and tap my brakes, so Mario Andretti doesn't run up my ass! He swirves to avoid me and drives off.In one motion I throw down the kickstand and leap off while I am undoing my chin strap. I never experienced the combo of fear and pain like I did that afternoon. The dude drove off and I still think the welts are still on my hairline. BTW, the wasp did die!
firedevil.gif

<!--EDIT|lazerbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1144958652 -->

I was on my 2000 R1 doing about 65 on a three lane road. I was in the far left lane, when a Bmw comes out of a parking lot, crosses the other two lanes, and get's directly in front of me. I swerved onto the center median and missed him by inches (literally). If that island would of had a high median I would of hit that Beamer, and probably died. After that I pulled over ans caught my breath.

I got two...

Story #1: 'bout 3 years ago...rode my FZ1 from work to parents while wife and daughters were outta town...surprise family guests from up north at my parents..."Hey Bill!...we were just all headed out to dinner...wanna come?..our treat."....so I go out to dinner with'em....rode to the restaurant in a cage with'em...had coffee back at their house...then?....rut-ro...it's night-time...and me with a dark smoke visor...left it flipped part way up..(so I could at least see the whitelines lit up outta my periphial)...take 6 lane I-95 north to home...can't see real well but alls cool...get almost all the way to my exit and start sliding over to the right and...doing about 85 and all this passed through my mind in the course of about a second and a half?...

wtf is that big black thing?...a sugar bear?...(no..it's to low and square)...a hog?....(maybe)....can I evade?....(no way...go'in too fast)....wait!...it's too big, black and square to be a hog!!!....HOLY SHID!!!...IT'S A FREAKING BEDLINER THAT FELL OUT OF A PICK-UP TRUCK!!!..OOOOOOHHHHHHHH SHID!!!!!!!!"

KAAAAAAAHHHHHWHACK!!!

went straight in the back and blew right through the 2' high front....two things....

1. Thank god the bedliner was sun dried and rotten and..

2. Thank god it happened so quick that I didn't have time to get on the brakes...they'd of locked up on that polypropylene liner and me and my bike would've gone asphault surfing.....in it.

and what made this event so scary (as opposed to the 2nd story that follows) was the fact that it was a sunday night on I-95...lotsa traffice and 90% of it moving between 80-100..with a good percentage of tractor trailors....if I'd of gone down?...I'd of gotten run over about 8 times before anyone even thought about hitting the brakes.

Story #2: Once I also came sideways through this curve coming home from 2nd shift one night and it had just rained a couple hours ago...and still a light sprinkle....the frogs were slippery so I tried to avoid'em best I could....nuth'in like you rear head'in sideways like ya just hit a giant green slippery booger...and as I was really nail'in my favorite left curve with a sweet line?..as just as I entered the apex?..a huge gator came into view...half his tail was still in the weeds and his snout was already crossing the double yellows...and as my headlights hit'im?...he raised up on all four with mouth wide open and hissed just as I went by...could've reached over and done a toungue piercing for him..but..these two things are what saved me...

1. I knew..I was in too dedicated of a lean (on a wet road) for any sudden changes/inputs...I'd of gone down and....
go'in too fast to change course now...so I did my best to pretend "He Just Ain't There" and..

2. Held my line...so close that I actually heard his hissing as I went by...over my full yosh exhaust.

There's my two and they're about a tie..so?..I figured I'd mention'em both.

I was still shaking when I got home...both times.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|JINKSTER
Reason for Edit: None given...|1144976576 -->

I have had a few butt puckering moments in my life the latest one was on a group ride. I was leading and we were headed over to Tahoe from Truckee when some idiot in a cage decides to pass a line of cars on a turn.

One moment I'm ride'in along and the next there's a car coming head on right at me. It all happened so fast I still don't know how I missed getting take'in out. I swerved to the right and nearly went right off the road into the woods. I swear I could see the guys oh $hit look as went sailing passed me and I missed him by about two feet.

I then pulled over, removed shorts, and cleaned seat yikes!!! that was close.

1.  about 13 give or take.  I use to have a Suzuki DS80 dirtbike.  Basically the same things as the RM80 but no powerband.  Anyway,  a few of the guys were out riding when we did the bike swap thing.  Somehow my tiny butt wound up on a CR250
wow.gif
 I still don't know how I got a leg over the seat and I could bearly get a toe to the ground but I was going to tame the beast.
cool.gif
  I started off nice and slow when it happened.  I hit first gear powerband.  
1zhelp.gif
the next thing I know there is nothing but sky.  
eek2.gif
As the bike came up I got off the gas but when the bike fell back down I hit the gas again.  
1zhelp.gif
 So here I am, Sky, dirt, sky, dirt, sky, dirt.  I think you're getting the picture by now.
laugh.gif
 After about the fouth or fifth time straight up I somehow managed to get off the gas and keep it on the ground.  I'm alive  
muscle.gif
 Now all I have to do is get this thing turned back around and back to my friend where it belongs.   I had that thing in top gear with just enough gas to keep it running.  
laugh.gif
  I was never so happy to get off a bike in my life.  
super.gif

2.  about 13 years old on my 10 speed.  There was a nice steep 2 lane road that headed down to the lake.  All out in 10th it was hard for cars to pass because it was only a 35mph zone.
tounge.gif
  So here I am haulin butt and the car up ahead of me stopped to make a left turn.  No big deal I have plenty of room to get by  however the guy behind me wasn't paying attention to the road in front of him just keeping an eye on me.  I had no idea he was behind me until he locked up the brakes right off my side. He never touched me but  I was over the curb and in the grass with my head between my knees kissing my butt good bye.  That guy never stopped to check to see if I was alive or not.  I could have killed him.  It took a few minuets for my legs to stop shaking before I could even stand up.

<!--EDIT|jwcfbd
Reason for Edit: None given...|1144979560 -->

1zhelp.gif

laugh.gif

i have had some not so good ones but last year i was running my ported and polished banshee atv at a oval track flattrack event. i was having the day of my life beating guys i never had beaten before. last race of the day coming out of the trun at about 60-ish the rider in front of spun sideways blocking the whole inside groove. well i hit him. (my whole family there to witness) 3 months out of work, a 6-inch plate and 6 screws later and i am fine.
vader1.gif

this year i broke my ankle but that is a nother story.

Back