Say hello to Lucy, the new shop bike.

Boosted Cycle Perf

Donating Member
Site Sponsor
Registered
Rob I need to get Ram Jam over for a tune ;)
Let me know some dates. You know I’m easy to get ahold of.

Excuse my lack of knowledge. Is E 98 made of 98% ethanol and 2% gasoline? And sold by the drum? Or can buy it at a pump at a gas STN? Up here all we have is "may contain up to 10% ethanol". Usually in regular and medium. Some premiums are pure gas at 93 octane which is what I use. Thank you for any clarification you can provide
E85= 85% ethanol, 15% gasoline. So yes, E98 is 98% ethanol, 2% gasoline.

“E85” out of the pump here is almost never 85%. Usually around 70%. But then again, every once in awhile they mix it wrong and end up with 95, and even have gotten 100%. That’s why I never suggest tuning a bike or a car on e85 unless you plan to run it from a drum, or you have full flex fuel capabilities.

And from what my content sensors have shown me is all gasoline usually has exactly 10% ethanol.

Well that is useful information. Thank you. So far north of the 49th we can't get 85 or 98. Is water absorption a problem with the high ethanol content?

Boosted Cycle Perf

Donating Member
Site Sponsor
Registered
Well that is useful information. Thank you. So far north of the 49th we can't get 85 or 98. Is water absorption a problem with the high ethanol content?
Is it is. That’s where a lot of guys go wrong. They’ll full a drum of e85 and let it set because it “makes the ethanol content go up.” Thing is, when using an ethanol sensor if you add water to e85, it will read higher on the sensor. However, if you do a manual test, it will show lower then what you started with.

Then those guys have no idea why their cars are running so crappy when the content is higher. It’s just one of those things you need to be aware of.