saw a sad sight the otherday

a guy in his early 20's that admited he had only rode a friends cruiser once or twice was considering an 05 R1 but bought a repsol 1000rr instead. I just dont think the bike will have a long life span.
sad.gif

My first bike was an 02 Gixxer 600.  I had never ridden a bike before that, dirt or road.  I learned on it the right way, at least I thought so, and progressed to my Busa after that.  Some people may learn on a 600, like I did, but I'm sure that there are a lot of others that a 600 is way too much for.
ill Second that

I think those were actually pretty good choices for a starter bike. The Katana (KAn of tuna) is kinda heavy but its a forgiving bike a good starter bike for anyone. The SV is another good choice if someone is determined to have a 600. Neither is as gutsy as the Suzuki 600 GSXR which is NOT forgiving. So I think in this case the Dealer made a pretty good call.

My first street bike was a 1971 Norton 750 Commando. It was the busa of the 1970s.

I rode a Honda Mini Trail and a Honda Trail 70 between ages 13 and 16.

I couldn't believe it when my father let me get the fastests street bike at age 16. But I did my homework and learned everything possible about motorcycle accidents and statistics to try and give myself the best odds possible. And, for 32 years, I have never had an accident. Two close calls thats it. And that is because I assumed NO ONE COULD SEE ME...THAT EVERYONE WAS GOING TO HIT ME. Some kids can handle the responsiblity, some will become squids and some will go to their graves too early because of poor decisions. I'm not leaning either way here....I would love to see this kid and check out how fast his reflexes are...because that is what will save his ass someday along with common sense. If he lacks this, then his parents are literally allowing him to have a lethal weapon

I think we can all agree it depends on the maturity of the rider. I was a tereible kid twice as danderous on a dirtbike as most of anyone would ever be on a streetbike. I would jump cars in my friends junk yard climb pit walls wheelies all day for miles. Rocks and trees all around and most dirtbikes even 125's will run 80 MPH through the woods and get there about as fast as a good street bike.

That's a tough call, I started on an 03 R6 when I was 22 and I did o.k. with it, had a few close calls. I think it's all in the rider but at his age I would have to agree that a 250 is a much better choice.

That kid probably thinks that riding a dirt bike a few times and watching Biker Boyz at least 5 times gives him all the experience he needs... Poor thing...
biggrin.gif

was down at the zuki shop monday putting my downpayment on my bike when in walks this kid with his mom looking to buy a bike.kid couldnt have been 15 and looked to be about as big as a toothpick.the mom asked the owner what kind of bike should he he have and he asks the kid how much has he rode.ive rode a dirt bike a couple times he says so the owner suggests the sv or a katana.first im thinkin i hate spoiled brats that get whatever they ask for because thats the imppression im getting from these two and next im thinkin theres no way that kid needs a 600 cause i just kept having the feeling hes not able to handle something like that.i started to jump in and say he needs a 250 cause i can just tell hed be winding that 600 out and be dead in a month but i keep my mouth shut and go on.should i have said something?the owner did suggest a rider safety course but i still dont think a couple times on a dirtbike makes him ready for a 600 streetbike.what do you guys think?
You actually should have put a foot in his mother's a$$...
mad.gif

She'd be better off just giving the poor kid the keys to THE BUTTON...
biggrin.gif
And you all should know what I'm referring to when I say... THE BUTTON.
laugh.gif

Back