SAND ON THE ROAD

BIKE DUDE

Donating Member
Registered
SNOWED AGAIN FRIDAY NIGHT 5-6 INCHES.SAND AND ROAD SALT HAVE BEEN SPREAD CURB TO CURB.THE SAND CAN BE A HAZARD AND THE CENTER OF THE LANES ISN'T EVEN CLEAR FROM TRAFFIC YET.THE SNOW BANKS MELT AND MAKE THE ROADS WET.THE ROAD SALT WILL GET INTO EVERY NOOK & CRANNY AND BE A BEAR TO CLEAN.SOOOOOO ?? MY QUESTION TO YOU IS -----WHEN DO YOU RIDE-----HOW LONG DO YOU WAIT?
rock.gif
??

PLAY IT SAFE OR DIRTY AND DANGEROUS

florida weather you ride almost year round,,,the coldest it gets is maybe 40 but the summer time is ridiculous near 100 but humid as hell

i never stop unless there is snow or ice actually on the road...i just know to be more careful and not push it that hard when i don't know what is around the corner and there might be a good chance that i may come across sand or other road debris...it's all about riding smart and minimizing the risk as much as possible
beerchug.gif

I wait for a good rain to clean the roads. Juli and I went for ride a couple of weeks ago and it had thunderstormed, still had salt on the roads.

ditto... wait for a good rain or two.......70 here today...rain and snow tomorrow, I wish Al Gore would stop messing with the weather. Ya know he invented the internet....I read that on the internet...LOL

I usualy wait for a good rain , but it is still risky , street sweepers are always a goon sign in the northeast !

Most of the time the first week in April we can get the bikes out here. By then we usually have had some hard rains to clean the salt and grit off the roads.

I'll ride all year as along as there is no ice or snow. I know there's lots of salt & sand on the road---I'm just extra careful. Salt is bad, so I power wash her down after each ride.

This year around here is going to be bad. We usually have snow for a month or so but its been here since December 1 this year and it snows every other day.I start to ride when ever the streets get dry. You cant get the salt out of all the places it gets.Careful at corners with the sand. Its all good after the first good thunderstorm.This year we will be lucky if its April 1.

Salted roads in Ohio are bad. I never ride until after several good rains to wash the salt away. we also have a severe pot hole problem in this state after each winter which is sometimes more dangerous than the salt. No matter how bad I truely want to ride, it will be April before I consciously can let myself pull her out of the garage and out on to the highways.

You live in CT? didnt you just get like a foot of snow??

I only ride if the road is bone dry,,,winter or summer,I have lots of chrome and its hard enough to keep clean with just dirt on there.

I ride as long as there aren't chemicals still on the road. Usually I won't take by bike out if its under freezing outside, but I've been known to ride in the cold.

Back