Sand in a slow blind corner

VelvetJones

Registered
Hey guys I just went to the store for the wife to get a gallon of milk. The road I live on has a couple of curves. Coming from my house the first one you can take at 35-40 very comfortably. The second you better be going under 25 and the house on the inside corner has a 6' chain link fence that is grown up with stuff all the way around the corner so its completely blind. This is just an old country road its chip paved ( they put down tar and the lots of little rocks and then crush it with a roller and it makes decent cheap pavement).

Well there is about 3 or 4 bags of sand on the inside of the slow corner. Its a right hander so Im going around the corner staying to the inside since I cant see if anyone is coming and holy crap there is a patch of sand thats as wide as the inside lane and about 10 feet long. There is no avoiding it. I start trying to get the bike stood up as fast as I can. I got a good enough glance to see that there wasnt any traffic coming my way. I got a damn good slide when I hit that sand. I didnt lay it down but sucked up all of the seat into my internal cavities.

I nearly ran off the other side of the road after I got it stood up. I was really really really out of control. I was 100% sure that I was going down and was preparing to decide what part of my body I wanted to land on. Well once I was out of the sand I layed her back over to the right and didnt run off the road. The store is 1.8 miles from my house but I put on gear no matter where Im going and this just reinforces that for me. It probably took me longer to get geared up and ready to ride than the actual ride took to the store but its well worth it to be safe.

I stopped and looked at the sand. There were a couple of bags of sand in the ditch to the side of the road (opposite side of where the sand was in the road). They were thrown off the road about 6 feet. There was no way they got there on their own. The sand was perfectly in the inside corner. It was smooth and looked like it had been spread out and groomed. It really looks like it was done on purpose.

I dont know if it was on purpose or if someone just lost the sand bags off their trailer and then threw the bags off the road but didnt clean it up but that doesnt seem likely. Why stop and move the bags but not try to clean up the sand? Why not just keep driving if you arent going to do anything about it?

Well I just wanted to vent a little. My wife came home a couple of hours ago and it wasnt there at 6 so in 3 hours a bunch of sand showed up in the worst spot possible. Everyone watch out and be prepared and of course wear your gear. Even if you dont wreck its better to be ready in case you do. Short trips to the store are just as dangerous as going across the state.

If someone did put it there on purpose I hope their genitals catch fire.

-vJ-

people are inherently lazy.... +1 for lost it and either did not care or did not know it... I want people that shoot their lawn clippings out on to the street beat however....

Glad you were aware and caught it before it was "too late" good job!

Wow, do a lot of people speed around that corner? I would suspect it is a neighbor withing sight of that corner tired of people speeding. That is a dirty thing to do.

I woulnt put it past some people to do that, man if I caught someone doing that.....
firedevil.gif

Sounds like a great save to me,great job. Ditto on the gear,seldom do I ride with out it, if I don't have time to gear up, I take the car or the truck
thumb_up.gif

Glad you're o.k. Sure gets your heart pounding, doesn't it?

Dayum.

Glad you got remained in control. That could have been extremely ugly!
thumb_up.gif

great job keeping it up!! Sounds like you now have a good excuse to get the seat redone, or did you not suck the cover off it completely???

As for people doing things like that, I more than understand the frustration. Many years ago someone dug a hole at the bottom of a hill on a track I rode dirtbikes on. Yep I found it, 46 stitches and a broken nose from that one. Probably a good thing I never found out who dug it.

I couldn't believe that sand was right there in the middle of the corner. It was an OH SHID moment if I've ever had one. Bike slid a couple of feet and then I got it stood up and then back to clean pavement headed toward the side of the road. I got it turned back in and missed going off the road by about an inch at most. Part of what saved me was not hitting the brakes. I just kept everything steady and did what I could to salvage the situation. I think my seat will be ok. I'll let you know when I can get it out ;)

For being such a heavy bike the B-King is pretty nimble. It feels light as a feather going into corners and flicking it back and forth so that helped a lot. If I was on a cruiser I probably wouldn't have been able to get the bike to respond to my inputs fast enough and would have probably gone down. Long live the King!!

Hey guys I just went to the store for the (wife) to get a gallon of milk................ It was smooth and looked like it had been spread out and groomed. It really looks like it was done on purpose. vJ-
ARE YOU SURE SHE HASN'T TOOK OUT ANY RECENT LIFE INSURANCE POLICY'S ON YOU?
laugh.gif
blonde.gif
semi.gif
.........J/King man, good to hear you made it through it with no damage or harm:agree:
please.gif
. I think id be asking the closest neighbor to that corner to PLEASE keep an eye out for the culprit returning!!!! and if for some SLIM miracle you catch him(or her
whistling.gif
) in the act
boxing.gif
spank.gif
cursin.gif

i was going down to the beach taking my regular route and going slow 'cause i haven't been down that way in a week. well, i noticed sand and pebbles on a lot of the road due to the heavy rain a day or two before.

good to hear you didn't spill. watch out for road debris all the time. i usually take the road slower going one way and a little fast coming back.
beerchug.gif

Maybe there was a wreck and they used sand to soak up the oil or something....I typically hit corners slow and cautiously, then come back for some hard core action....

I would check it out. See if there was an accident there, maybe check for a report of one, or just evidence. If there doesn't appear to have been one there, you may want to make a police report of it. Make a record of it. If it was intentional, hopefully not, then if they do it again and someoen gets hurt it's better that the police look into it. If it was put there with bad intent, I would be very cautious in that area in general. Sand in a corner doesn't do too much to a car in comparison to a scoot.

Back