Safety Thread, please read.

:beerchug:
thoughtful thread
but i do have to ask about 'riding within your limits'. How can you become an overall better rider if you always ride within your limits. For example if i play basketball against my little brother it is not going to make me a better basketball player. BUT if I play against kevin durant and he kills me over and over and over, even though it would be brutal, it would make me a better basketball player.

i am not saying that riding in your limits is bad advice. but limits change as does the weather, bike, situation, etc.. Anyway i am just thinking out loud and i am not promoting crazy riding or anything. But I'd like to read some of your thoughts

Your concern for the well being of us all is essentially the definition of the spirit of the .oRg, James.

Well done!

I don't want to be the turd in the punch bowl but I think its important to remember that you can be a great rider wearing all the latest saftey gear available and still get creamed. What we do is dangerous. So to your list I would add: Consider how much risk you're willing to take, have good insurance(health, life and disability) and tell your loved ones you love them everytime you leave.

Thank you for your thoughtful and meaningful words James, including your "between the lines" intention....being concerned for all our safety. At the very least, what you said reminds us to assess our own thoughts and behaviors....and we all need to constantly keep that analysis going.
At the very most....self-analysis of our riding behavior could lead us to save our own life!
Doyle

I've posted something like this before but it doesn't hurt to get reminded again. I always do my best to be safe out there because number one, I have a family waiting for me. To be able to ride a total of 97,000+ miles total between two bikes since I started riding in October of 2005 without getting hurt is something to be thankful for. Please allow me to contribute more tips. I have this saved up in my favorites so here it is.
50 Ways to Save Your Life - Motorcyclist Magazine

thoughtful thread
but i do have to ask about 'riding within your limits'. How can you become an overall better rider if you always ride within your limits. For example if i play basketball against my little brother it is not going to make me a better basketball player. BUT if I play against kevin durant and he kills me over and over and over, even though it would be brutal, it would make me a better basketball player.

i am not saying that riding in your limits is bad advice. but limits change as does the weather, bike, situation, etc.. Anyway i am just thinking out loud and i am not promoting crazy riding or anything. But I'd like to read some of your thoughts

Kevin Durant can kill you over and over, when you ride beyoud your limits it only happens once. That is the difference.

I think that this mostly comes into play when less experienced riders ride with more experienced riders, not when you are out riding by yourself. Maybe this is obvious. When going on a group ride be honest with yourself about your ability and be honest with the people you are riding with. Then decide what kind of ride you want to take. But it is the responsibility of more experienced riders to take care of the novices. When on a group ride with novice riders I don't by this: "He\she is an adult and can make their own decisions.". A novice rider does not have the experience to make decisions so they look to better riders, that is why they are on the ride.

thoughtful thread

Grip it and rip it:whistle:

Thanks for your concerne and the reminder to keep our head in the game.I ride like everyone is out to get me.Some days it sure seems it.I think about my wife and daughter which seems to help keep me in check and watch everything around.

I would harp on the gear more. People seriously need to wear a good jacket with armor, helmet, gloves and at the very least draggin Jeans. Visiting numerous bike threads as I do, it is AMAZING how many guys go down with full gear as described above, and are basically unhurt in a serious way. They are usually riding within a month. The guys not wearing any gear as they do in Florida, become patients of my wife. My wife has a 46 yr old Harley rider with no gear, and his brain is mush from that tiny light little tap of his head on the pavement with no helmet. These usually are around 5 to 25mph accidents. The human neck can't support the head in a fall, the neck muscles are not strong enough.

Anyway, lots of guys go down all the time on these boards, most of the full gear guys keep on riding fairly quickly, the NGATT (No Gear All The Time) guys go to the hospital for long stays and become a drain on our tax dollars. I believe in helmet laws unless we are willing to allow those without to just die off after an accident.......

So, I say wear the gear!! All of it!:rulez:

thoughtful thread

Dino helped sum it up nicely just few posts ago. Think about a guy that just got his first bike. And has joined the oRg. Now he reads a thread about a meet/greet and wants to come. Can he ride like guys that have been riding for 20 or 30+ years? No, it is our responsibility to show him the ropes, teach new riders, or riders that need help. The best situation is if we ask for help from each other. However, it is just as important or more important for the new or in-experienced rider to understand he is going too fast, he cant make the turns like others can. That is why we stress on rides that no matter what happens, ride your ride and we will be waiting for you at the next turn. DO NOT PUSH IT! The limits of your skill are different for each individual. For example: On the last group ride I noticed how my front tire was pushing out in a turn. Although I did not think I was riding too fast, I did not think I was dangerous, my front tire gave me input that told me otherwise. Time to slow down and ease off the throttle. If you don't have the experience to recognize this what could have happened? We need to be deliberate and aware. I hope that helps. :thumbsup:

To add to your safety, build your skills. It takes time. I've long believed that a rider who is still alive after a year has merely survived. This is because most people don't take much if any training. Frankly, learning must continue throughout your riding career.

Most skilled professions require additional training in perpetuity. Riding a motorcycle is not much different and the more you can learn, the better.

When I teach skills classes, I find it notable that those who need it the most are never there, even though the classes are free. I hope the best for them but you never know.

Which reminds me, I need to get the next one scheduled.

--Wag--

thoughtful thread

I think this is exactly why we have track days and race schools....so you can improve your skills and ride to your limits (expanding them) in a safe environment...on the track.

Four: Know your machine. The Hayabusa is not the fastest bike on the planet for no reason. It is powerful, it is heavy, and it can hurt you. Keep it maintained and it will take care of you if you respect her.

Think you meant to leave the "not" out there. ??? :laugh:

Seriously though....great reminder post!

Back