Safety Thread, please read.

twotonevert

Member of P.E.A.
Donating Member
Registered
In light of the recent accidents I have seen on the board, I feel it is my duty to speak up. I am your brother on the road and I care about each and everyone of you. Call me goofy, call me crazy, whatever, I dont care. I work in safety as a profession and I hope to God what I say makes a difference.

First: When you are riding, ride within your limits. You should know what they are. Dont push your bike to the point you feel uncomfortable. When riding in groups, do not let the pace of the group push you to ride outside of your comfort zone. There will be a sweeper (the guy in the back) watching the group. His job is make sure no one is left behind. If there are comm's in the group, the sweeper and the ride leader will be in communication. The ride leader should stop at the next turn until he sees the group and knows for sure that everyone knows where you are going. Ride your pace and get there when you get there. Group rides are not a race!

Second: Dont target fixate. Practice emergency braking and know how to handle your machine. When the time comes to use these skills, you will not have time to think about what to do and instinct, as well as good habits, will take over. This could save your life. Seriously.

Third: When riding in groups or riding alone. Take the time to ask yourself a question. "What is the worst thing that can happen?" Seriously, ask yourself that question when you are planning a move. Are you going to pass? Are you going to take off and hit triple digits on your favorite piece of road? What is the worst that can happen? Are you in an area where there are lots of side streets or driveways? What can cross your lane? Who can pull out in front of you? What can the vehicle do that you are about to pass? Play devils advocate if you will.

Four: Know your machine. The Hayabusa is not the fastest bike on the planet for no reason. It is powerful, it is heavy, and it can hurt you. Keep it maintained and it will take care of you if you respect her.

Five: Wear your gear. For some this is an issue. You will most likely not hear me harp on gear. You wear what you want, your grown and I am not your daddy. I am more than happy to share a ride with anyone and with anyone riding anything. I love to ride. But I wear full gear for a reason. Its 100 degrees out and I am in full leather because I dress for the crash. I have 4 kids and lovely wife that depend on me. I love this sport and I plan to enjoy it for years to come, I cant do that if I get seriously injured or killed because my injuries could have been prevented by me wearing the proper gear. That is all you will ever hear me say about gear.

Six: Slow down! Whats the rush? Thats pretty stupid to say when you ride a Hayabusa isnt it? Not really and heres why.............The faster you ride reduces your ability to make sound decisions. When you are on a two lane road in the middle of BFE and no one else is around, have a fit. But when you are in town, in traffic, or on I-5 at rush hour, slow down! Use a technique called the two minute rule. It does not take two minutes, but that is what it is called. When you plan to execute a maneuver, Stop for just a moment mentally and think about what you are about to do. Are you being deliberate? What will be the consequence of the action you are about to take? Be aware of your surroundings and of the consequences of your action. It will only take a few seconds to do this once you get the hang of it.

Seven: Leave plenty of space between you and rider in front of you. If he has to make a sudden move or stop, you dont want to run into him and cause a large accident. Distance is your friend. Thank you Doug for reminding me. :laugh:

Take what you want from this, move on and go about your life as it were. Safety is my job and I care too much about you guys to not share what I know. If what I say saves one person from being killed or seriously injured, than I am happy. Please be careful, think about the people that depend on you to come home safe each and every night. That is all folks, thank you for reading.

James

Last edited:
Seven, dont follow the guy that uses his brakes in a hot corner!

Thanks TT,
I know all of the above, but often find myself complacent and that is when I make mistakes or just get downright stupid.

Thanks for the reminder and for having our back,:thumbsup:

These are the things that make this site such a great place, that family feel that we all care for each other. Kudos to you and the Org.:bowdown:

Thanks again Brother:beerchug:
Bubba

+1000

Very well said. Sometimes we get caught up in highest speeds, fastest 1/4 mile times, most hp, who can beat who in a drag race, wheelies, and how to make our bikes go faster. We forget that no matter what we ride we are still made of skin, bone, and lots of soft parts that are very fragile. Ride like your family rides with you.

Me too, dismayed to see all the good skilled riders getting hurt. been riding for 57 years, had some nightmarish close calls. The few times I've been down, was pushing the envelope
which I don't do anymore. Don't want to get fkedup at my age. Surfed in a Vincent at 80mph, back in '87 very interesting day. Hope everyone takes your exp advice.

Thanks TT,
I know all of the above, but often find myself complacent and that is when I make mistakes or just get downright stupid.

Thanks for the reminder and for having our back,:thumbsup:

These are the things that make this site such a great place, that family feel that we all care for each other. Kudos to you and the Org.:bowdown:

Thanks again Brother:beerchug:
Bubba

Thanks Bubba. I like the fact that you mention complacency. Did you know that over 90% of all work place accidents are the result of human error? Did you also know that over 50% of that 90% is due to over confidence/complacency? It stands to reason that this statistic would transfer to non work place environments. How many accidents have you heard of that were the result of mechanical failure compared to something the rider did? Think about how many accidents we could avoid if we removed complacency/over confidence from the equation? Interesting isnt it?

Also let me say this. I am not perfect and I ride hard sometimes, with my wife on the back. I dont want anyone thinking I am talking out of both sides of my mouth. And I have made mistakes. Thank God I have not had any serious incidents. I just wanted to give you something to think about.

Great post.

As much as possible, know the people with whom you're riding. If you don't know them so well, keep your attention up and maintain adequate space between you and the rider in front of you. If they do things which make you seriously uncomfortable, go somewhere else and find someone else to ride with on your next ride.

--Wag--

all of us dread the whoops because we can never predict when it will happen...except for when it is preceeded by a large grin.... never become complacent or think it cant.

When you are at a stoplight take a deep breath and relax even for a second. Ask yourself if your head is in the game. If you answer "yes", great. If you answer, "ah hell I should let that other stuff go and think about my ride", that is ok too becasue it is a reminder to get you head back in the game. Then smile at the guy or gal in the cage wishing they were you and ride off with renewed focus. I honestly do this about 90% of the time.
Posted via Mobile Device

Back