Not another ride-on thread. PLEASE READ.

newman

Registered
After a few replies on my last post about ride on-the on with the leaflet more of my thoughts. If you read it it says repair or replace the tyre as ride-on is a temporary solution.
Also I think I would rather have a puncture sealed that having a flat while riding, I've had a flat before luckily I was not going fast as this was bad enough, I was all over the place and nearly fell off. As for not knowing about a flat just check your tyres before a ride to see if their alright, because if you don't you could still have a nail in there and the tyre will not necessarily go flat.
I just put it in for a bit more safety if I did happen to get a puncture.
And if I did get a puncture I would get a new tyre not patch it.

But how would you know you got a puncture if you went riding for the whole day, got a puncture within first 30 min, and ride-on sealed it right away, and you keep riding?

If a tire got ride-on in it, even TPMS wouldn't tell you because the tire doesn't lose air. One could be riding hard with such puncture for a long time. It's like a time bomb.

Bad tire/punctured tire equals disaster down the road.We have had enough bikes go down or people die.Fix it right.

If a tire got ride-on in it, even TPMS wouldn't tell you because the tire doesn't lose air. One could be riding hard with such puncture for a long time. It's like a time bomb.

How is it a bomb if it never loses air?

How is it a bomb if it never loses air?

I don't believe their claim that it has no chance of losing air although I do recognize that such a chance could be small.

Like I described in detail in the other post, over time a tire gets a lot of beating with every revolution. The contact patch pounds and stretches the repaired spot on the tire hundreds of thousands if not millions of times. Coupled with heat cycles, this creates a reasonable chance of air leak.

I would never knowingly do a track day on a tire with a sealed puncture. I would never do a high speed burst with such tire either. And, I would never do aggressive cornering. If I exclude all that, why bother riding at all.

It's probably OK for commuting, but you still never know, and having a TPMS is still of importance.

I would believe their claim if an independant entity conducted a dozen of track days during hot season with 100 riders, and for each track day they would randomly puncture both front and rear tire of every bike at the beginning of the day, and then check the pressure at the end of the day. Not to mention losing air earlier than that. I doubt they will go for it. Because even if a single bike loses air through the puncture, it's bad enough.

I don't believe their claim that it has no chance of losing air although I do recognize that such a chance could be small.

Like I described in detail in the other post, over time a tire gets a lot of beating with every revolution. The contact patch pounds and stretches the repaired spot on the tire hundreds of thousands if not millions of times. Coupled with heat cycles, this creates a reasonable chance of air leak.

I would never knowingly do a track day on a tire with a sealed puncture. I would never do a high speed burst with such tire either. And, I would never do aggressive cornering. If I exclude all that, why bother riding at all.

It's probably OK for commuting, but you still never know, and having a TPMS is still of importance.

I would believe their claim if an independant entity conducted a dozen of track days during hot season with 100 riders, and for each track day they would randomly puncture both front and rear tire of every bike at the beginning of the day, and then check the pressure at the end of the day. Not to mention losing air earlier than that. I doubt they will go for it. Because even if a single bike loses air through the puncture, it's bad enough.

So how is it a bomb?

You could still get a nail in your tyre in the first 30 Min's of riding and it will not necessarily go down, so you could still be riding hard and not know about it. For my preference I would rather something sealed the tyre than having a nail doing possible more damage to the tyre while riding. But each to their own.

Like I said If you get any puncture do not patch it get a new tyre. If you check your tyres before or after riding you will see if you have a nail in them or Ride-on has sealed a leak if so replace the tyre.

I'm not recommending anything; that said I have used fix-it-flat in multiple tires and worn the tires out riding. I've never done this with a front tire and wouldn't, that's me. I always ride easy after the repair.

The best thing you can do is replace the tire.

Back