Russia and Ukraine

Huh? There have been close to 15,000 deaths since Russia annexed Ukraine eastern border from 2014-2020. Lots of shots have been fired before this recent full annexation.
We can disagree on invasion. The border areas that have Moscow favored separatist have welcomed Russia's involvement. The Ukrainian government has been dealing with these skirmishes. Now Russia has invaded those areas with more in their sights.

Crimea became a Russian territory against Ukraine's wishes

We can disagree on invasion. The border areas that have Moscow favored separatist have welcomed Russia's involvement. The Ukrainian government has been dealing with these skirmishes. Now Russia has invaded those areas with more in their sights.

Crimea became a Russian territory against Ukraine's wishes
Moscow favoured separatist now that’s funny thanks for the laugh. You mean Russian trained troops with Russia supplied arms in civilian clothing? Yah just some random dudes who are pro-Russia annexed some of Ukraine....

Some of our troops are very well trained but what support do they have backing them ? 50 year old f-18’s? And 150 tanks? Compared to Ukraine 2100 tanks.

A lot of people forget Ukraine held the worlds third largest supply of nuclear war heads after the Soviet Union collapsed but agreed to dispose of them.
The F-18 was put into service in 1983, so there are no F-18 hornets that are 50 years old. The bulk of the US Navy planes are variants of the F-18 and it is considered a formidable aircraft. Also, Ukraine did not agree to give up their nukes, we promised them we would protect them if they did. Not disagreeing with your basic premise, just adjustments on some of your facts.

@fallenarch
I was just doing rough math but the first flight was 45ish years ago? And was in service in 83? It’s the same platform we are using with minor updates compared to your f-18E’s and f-18f’s which shares very little to almost nothing compared to original.

@fallenarch
I was just doing rough math but the first flight was 45ish years ago? And was in service in 83? It’s the same platform we are using with minor updates compared to your f-18E’s and f-18f’s which shares very little to almost nothing compared to original.
Yes, but the age of a platform is deceiving. B-52s are more than 100 years old and some planes have been flown by 3 generations of pilot's families! Obviously, you know all of that. Anyway, the F-35s are the NATO aircraft so I am sure Canada has those or is waiting for delivery.

this feeds the Russian war chest.

Russian Gas and Oil, Europe needs to buy LNG from tankers get the oil from elsewhere, i'm afraid turn the energy supply off choke off funding

bold thing to do

1645776843766.png

I was just watching a news report on the invasion and it showed regular (male) citizens lining up to receive weapons to defend the capital...

Anyone who knows anything about mounting a defense knows it's all about coordination and shifting of defensive lines to meet the offense....sadly, these untrained, uncoordinated defenders will succumb to an organized well coordinated offensive assault.

With all the firepower out there the untrained defenders will get in a few lucky shots but as we know the infrastructure will take a beating as the in-coming troops will destroy an entire building to oust one defender. This happened all the time in Iraq, an entire building would be destroyed to get one sniper....I've seen a building blown up only to see the sniper escaping via another route....(generally they didn't get far once they were spotted).

I was just watching a news report on the invasion and it showed regular (male) citizens lining up to receive weapons to defend the capital...

Anyone who knows anything about mounting a defense knows it's all about coordination and shifting of defensive lines to meet the offense....sadly, these untrained, uncoordinated defenders will succumb to an organized well coordinated offensive assault.

With all the firepower out there the untrained defenders will get in a few lucky shots but as we know the infrastructure will take a beating as the in-coming troops will destroy an entire building to oust one defender. This happened all the time in Iraq, an entire building would be destroyed to get one sniper....I've seen a building blown up only to see the sniper escaping via another route....(generally they didn't get far once they were spotted).
I respect your first hand boots on the ground experience.

Having been there in the 90s, the Ukrainian as a people are pretty good scrappers. They can't compete with air attacks very well. But I think a ground war, Russia won't just walk in and somebody hand them the keys to the city.

I think they want the Russians to come knocking on their turf. Ukraine is about the size of Texas. It will take a lot of resources to invade and hold it.

I suspect they have been given some bootstrap training on the weaponry the U.S. is sending by the planeloads.

I don't think this will be surgical.

It's going to have some unfortunate body count.

You would have to think passing out guns is a symbolic photo-op at best. How awesome would it be if an invisible plane mysteriously denied Russia air superiority? Guess we would never do that though, too much to lose. Wonder what the subs are doing these days? They are always essentially at war but I bet it is pretty tense right now down there.

Back