Death of the Petro Dollar has started.

Ok... well... whatever you say. The Northstar technology was heavily influenced by it big brother which was the LT5 Mercury Marine engine that I am very familiar with in 20+ years of ZR-1 ownership. The oil leaks you refer to are not found in the LT5 so it must be another engineering defect with the Northstar.
Those two engines are both gasoline V8's that's all they have in common. The LTs are pushrod engines while the Northstar has over head cams. Also the LT5 uses individual main bearing caps like almost every other V8; the block is one piece so there is no chance of a similar leak.
The Northstar had a "modest" 320 HP but with excellent torque and driveability.

That ZR1 is beautiful!

Those two engines are both gasoline V8's that's all they have in common. The LTs are pushrod engines while the Northstar has over head cams. Also the LT5 uses individual main bearing caps like almost every other V8; the block is one piece so there is no chance of a similar leak.

That ZR1 is beautiful!
Sorry... the new generation of LT5 isn't the same as the C4 generation of LT5.
This link will fill the gap in your LT5 book of knowledge. This is just one of many sources for the history of Mercury Marine's LT5.
GM didn't want to build an engine assembly line for a low production engine. Mercury Marine's highest out put of LT5 engines peaked at 22 engines a day back in the early 90s. Over 600 measurements were taken in each cylinder head during production. One common fact is the cam covers from one LT5 will not fit on another LT5 because of the machining differences in each engine.
Not one pushrod exist in these DOHC engines.

2017-04-19_22-24-13-640x440.jpg

That ZR1 is beautiful!
If you click on my avatar you can see the last LT5 I enjoyed.

A few years ago somebody had a LT5 on E Bay that was completely polished from top to bottom. Even the block and the oil pan were polished.

I've never seen one of those in 45+ years. Pretty impressive and even though the power numbers aren't eye opening, looks like it has plenty of room for modification. Interesting that GM went back to their own pushrod motors on later LT engines set ups.

I've never seen one of those in 45+ years. Pretty impressive and even though the power numbers aren't eye opening, looks like it has plenty of room for modification. Interesting that GM went back to their own pushrod motors on later LT engines set ups.
The ZR-1 from 90 to 95 never got the attention it could have for the simple fact GM wasn't wanting to support it. The bean counters were not in favor of producing a car that could compete with Europe's finest as well as the Viper that appeared in 1992. Dave Mc Clellan, the Chief engineer behind the ZR-1 had a fight on his hands from beginning to end for that car to be built.

As far as power goes Lingenfelter produced various combos of naturally aspirated and twin turbo combinations that were know to perform pretty well. The highest version was an 850 hp TT that was bolted to a turbo hydramatic 400 with an overdrive. A number of 415 cubic inch strokers were produced by various tuners and builders as well as 368, 391, 402 and even a few 441 cubic inch strokers.

One record by a 1990 ZR-1 still stands to this day from 1990. It is the 24 hour record of 175 mph average that included fuel, driver, and tire changes. Only VW has beaten that record but they never produced the car for the public... it was called the Nardo or something similar.

In recent years a 1990 ZR-1 running in a class for stock production cars reset the record at Bonnevile at 237 mph. Cory Henderson out of Texas built the naturally aspirated 372 ci motor and in several attempts inside a 10 year span captured that record that still stands. I would estimate that engine produced very close to 2 hp per cubic inch that means the design is very close to being as good as it gets for an engine that was produced in excess of 7000 units. Even today builders and tuners are still finding more power inside the LT5 that goes back almost 4 decades in terms of when Lotus designed it.

Yes, pushrods are still with us, however, DOHC engines have advantages that pushrod motors will never have. 1. In most cases able to flow more air due to more valve area. 2. Lighter valve train components that mean more power output and less valve train stress from a lighter weight system.

8000 rpm music at Bonneville just a few years ago.
Here is the worlds fastest 350 ci ZR-1 that I know of. This is Pete's personal car and is the same guy that built that 391 cubic inch motor that is in the steel blue ZR-1 above. I love the sound of that motor when its in the burnout box.
Here is a Lingenfelter built LT5 running in excess of 218 mph back in 1998.
Here is a little bit of the story behind the 24 hour record. This was 33 years ago... imagine what could be built now.

Last edited:

You aren't seeing this on our news here in the U.S.

Thanks Unca Joe!!!
Are you saying the formation of the BRICS alliance, the proposed currency, or the lack of media coverage is Biden's fault?

Are you saying the formation of the BRICS alliance, the proposed currency, or the lack of media coverage is Biden's fault?
The first two. Although I'm sure there is some request to not talk about it also.

Undoing the petrodollar is about as close to war as you can get without actually invading.

Back