Routes, destinations, roads?

Bruce Bohannon

Donating Member
Registered
I have an Inlaw that lives in Reed Springs. I typically visit him once a year and truck a bike over and bust out a day or two during the visit. So far it looks like I will be staying in Reed Springs.

fwiw - Eureka Springs (ES) is about 60 miles away (takes 80ish minutes when traffic is normal and anyone is somewhat abiding traffic laws).

I've found a must do ride (for me) when I'm over there; it's more from memory but I think it is: from 43 (East of ES) take 74 East across Sherman Mountain to Jasper then right into Jasper then Left on Hwy 123. Hwy 123 is my pick road in the area.

I'm looking forward to riding with y'all on some different routes. What are you hoping to ride while you are in the area? Thanks in advance!

Jasper is a great ride, and the cafe on the square is a must-do for a lunch stop! :beerchug:

I live in Rogers, about 20 minutes from Pointe West- there are two great loops that are contiguous to ES, each is 80-100 miles and almost nothing but twisties...

From Pointe West, head to ES on 62, go through town, take 23 to Rogers, and take 62 back to PW.

From PW, take 62 to ES, take 23 north to MO 86, head west to Hwy F, west through Roaring River state park, 112 south to 37, south to 62 then back east to PW.

These are not necessarily group rides, anyone can take these when there is a two hour time frame, maybe a small group who want to take a more "spirited" twisty run and not be constrained by getting 40 bikes through traffic... :thumbsup:

I take these routes all the time, and there are almost no straight sections or passing zones- to be honest, if you're not ok with passing on the occasional double yellow you can be stuck behind the old bat-eared farmer in the battered Ford pickup for miles... I was coming back from ES yesterday on 62 and came up on a group of 10 cars stuck behind some bonehead going 40 mph, took me about 5 minutes to get around them... :banghead:

Shibumi - BULLSEYE Thanks!

fyi - (a comment from your Location info) the current owner of Deals Gap Resort is hoping to open another Resort somewhere in AR / call it Deals Gap West. This was a topic discussed with him at the bike show in Feb 2010 (Chicago). I have no more current info - but it might add to the number of bikes on the road in your area someday.

Bruce will you be riding down?

My Dad, Son and I will be riding down and going through St Louis about 7am on the 16th if interested in hooking up..

DR and Family.. What a great trio!

Also - I had a burg/charcoal 00 for a while - nice colors!

MMMMM, I'm probably going to truck over sometime Thursday (assuming I can get coverage at work).

FWIW however - my phone number is listed (Edwardsville, IL) and if you want to hook up on Wed or need a place to perform maintenance OR ?????? look me up. Otherwise I'll be looking forward to hooking up Fri or Sat? Or let me know if you would like my contact info. Thanks for the great offer to possibly hang with your loved ones.

I would like to get a few cell numbers from folks so I can try to find y'all if convenient during the days - because I'll be staying so far from the epicenter - Point West. (I'll probably post that on the main thread once I'm more certain I will be there.) I'm also going back over Jul 1 so the info accumulated here will be put to good use nonetheless!

Shibumi - BULLSEYE Thanks!

fyi - (a comment from your Location info) the current owner of Deals Gap Resort is hoping to open another Resort somewhere in AR / call it Deals Gap West. This was a topic discussed with him at the bike show in Feb 2010 (Chicago). I have no more current info - but it might add to the number of bikes on the road in your area someday.

(shudder) Omg, I hope not- word of mouth is enough, I already get tired of passing Harley's on those roads... :poke:

I'm not in synch with something about the below / need to cut out info

<snip>

From Pointe West, head to ES on 62, go through town, take 23 to Rogers, and take 62 back to PW.

<more snip>

I don't have the greatest map to work with at this time but 23 seems to run mostly N - S and Rogers is West of ES. I can track 62 from Rogers to ES but I cannot track 23 to Rogers. Is there a connection missing here? TIA

Also - any comments on Hwy 123 (other than it is too short)?

Last edited:
He left out an important part. The right turn off of Rt 23 onto Rt 12 to get to Rogers.

Yep- what he said... :bowdown: my bad...

23 south out of ES, right on Hwy 12, and I take Hwy 127 which cuts a loop off of 12 and has much more twisty parts, then right on 12 to Rogers. You come out on 2nd street at a stop light, stop at Susie-Q's drive-in across the street for the best chocolate malt in the continental U.S., head north on 2nd street about a mile, then turn right on Hwy. 62 to head back to Pointe West! :thumbsup:

Here is a Mapquest link for it...

http://www.mapquest.com/mq/2-wkJdJUopNzAPIajr08_e

Last edited:

23 south out of ES, right on Hwy 12, and I take Hwy 127 which cuts a loop off of 12 and has much more twisty parts, then right on 12 to Rogers. You come out on 2nd street at a stop light, stop at Susie-Q's drive-in across the street for the best chocolate malt in the continental U.S., head north on 2nd street about a mile, then turn right on Hwy. 62 to head back to Pointe West! :thumbsup:

Driving Directions from 11882 Highway 187 Eureka Springs, Arkansas to 11882 Highway 187 Eureka Springs, Arkansas

Looking forward to seeing you again. It's been a while.

So, I'm a huckleberry for at least one small group spirited run - PLEASE.....

Arriving Thur PM (tbd) leaving Sunday AM (probably). If needed (maybe/ maybe not) I can catch up at the hwy turns. (WOHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!)

Driving Directions from 11882 Highway 187 Eureka Springs, Arkansas to 11882 Highway 187 Eureka Springs, Arkansas

127 is a awesome road.

So, I'm a huckleberry for at least one small group spirited run - PLEASE.....

Arriving Thur PM (tbd) leaving Sunday AM (probably). If needed (maybe/ maybe not) I can catch up at the hwy turns. (WOHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!)

Huckleberry... lol... :laugh:

Yeah, you can even blast off on your own if no one is around and not get lost... but let me warn you, I left out at 7 am last week one morning headed to Berryville on 62 and was reminded that cool roads DO hit dewpoint overnight and dampness is not your friend when cranked over to the fairings... :(

No disaster, just yanked a bit of seat material out while gathering the rear back in...

I kid you not, if you haven't ridden here before, most of the choice roads you have to pass one at a time and wait for the next guy to catch up to you- straight stretches are few and far between... this ain't Kansas... :laugh:

I kid you not, if you haven't ridden here before, most of the choice roads you have to pass one at a time and wait for the next guy to catch up to you- straight stretches are few and far between... this ain't Kansas... :laugh:

I know the roads I have found are delightful and I expect I have seen very little. Indeed is why I started the thread.... thinking y'all would have some timely info for us. I'll be doing these two loops several times by the 8th of July.

hey i resemble that remark
Originally Posted by Shibumi
I kid you not, if you haven't ridden here before, most of the choice roads you have to pass one at a time and wait for the next guy to catch up to you- straight stretches are few and far between... this ain't Kansas...

Back