Rotrex Hayabusa build

1st plenum is finished!
For machining the parts i first made a fixture plate.
there are a total of 5 parts that need to be machined for one plenum.
Top and bottom section + 3 flanges.
The fixture plate is used to hold the part for machining the 2nd 3rd side for the bottom section and the 2nd side for the top section of the plenum.
20210102_164705.jpg
20201225_144830.jpg

20201225_100020.jpg
20201229_112453.jpg

Top left: Toolplate 1st side.
Top right: Toolplate 2nd side.
Bottom Left: Stock material Bottom section part and Toolplate.
Bottom right: Stock material top section.

- Tomorrow i will post the end result of the top and bottom part of the plenum!

Very happy with the result, hope you also like it!?
Next i will make the flanges for the intake and the BOV connection to the plenum.
The flanges will be fitted at the 3 holes at the bottom of the plenum, in my case the middle hole will connected to the intake and depending on using a intercooler the left or right hole for the BOV connection.

20201226_150828_resized.jpg
20201230_141921_resized.jpg
20201226_154529_resized.jpg
20201230_150937_resized.jpg
20210103_163028.jpg
20210103_163114.jpg

20201230_173100.jpg

I made some flanges for the BOV mounting. The BOV is attached to the flange with a standard V-Band connection. The flange is bolted to the plenum and sealed with an O-ring.

For 1 plenum I made two flanges for the BOV atachemend as I mentioned in the other post.

The hole thing fitted well on the Busa and the King:thumbsup:
20210107_212033.jpg
20210107_212027.jpg
20210106_205817.jpg
20210106_201901.jpg
20210106_201858.jpg
20210106_200202.jpg
20210106_200157.jpg
20210106_214303.jpg

This is awesome! Great job!

The first TTS kit I ever installed I gave them the benefit of the doubt and rain their blow off valve to try it. I think it was like an 18 or 20mm. Well no surprise, part throttle cruising at 75mph the boost gauge was showing 5psi, and getting like 2 gallons to the mile, lol. I ended up switching it over to a turbo smart 40mm I believe and that solved the cruising in boost problem.

I’m sure you know this @Boosted_MV but for sake of info for the forum I’ll add this. On blower set ups, blow off valves are called bypass valves. They are set up to remain open all the time except when WOT. This is because unlike turbos, blowers don’t care about engine load, or if you’re at part, or wide open throttle. However much boost it makes wide open at any given RPM it will make the same at part throttle because a blowers output is in direct correlation with engine rpm. So if the bypass valve is too small yes you can damage the blower from compressor surge, but you’ll also be riding around town in boost drinking fuel.

I think I'm in love...
(just imagine hunting down prey with a toothed blower belt. Hearing the best automotive sound ever, blower whine, from behind, then as it shoots past)
Being old school, you can keep your turbo cars and such. Give me a roots style blower any day..
I drove an SVT Lightning once and the supercharger whine was intoxicating....

I made some flanges for the BOV mounting. The BOV is attached to the flange with a standard V-Band connection. The flange is bolted to the plenum and sealed with an O-ring.

For 1 plenum I made two flanges for the BOV atachemend as I mentioned in the other post.

The hole thing fitted well on the Busa and the King:thumbsup:
View attachment 1631282View attachment 1631283View attachment 1631284View attachment 1631285View attachment 1631286View attachment 1631287View attachment 1631290View attachment 1631294
@Boosted_MV Amazing work! I must have one :). Any chance of when you are done your fabrication and testing selling a few units to us interested members :)

This is awesome! Great job!

The first TTS kit I ever installed I gave them the benefit of the doubt and rain their blow off valve to try it. I think it was like an 18 or 20mm. Well no surprise, part throttle cruising at 75mph the boost gauge was showing 5psi, and getting like 2 gallons to the mile, lol. I ended up switching it over to a turbo smart 40mm I believe and that solved the cruising in boost problem.

I’m sure you know this @Boosted_MV but for sake of info for the forum I’ll add this. On blower set ups, blow off valves are called bypass valves. They are set up to remain open all the time except when WOT. This is because unlike turbos, blowers don’t care about engine load, or if you’re at part, or wide open throttle. However much boost it makes wide open at any given RPM it will make the same at part throttle because a blowers output is in direct correlation with engine rpm. So if the bypass valve is too small yes you can damage the blower from compressor surge, but you’ll also be riding around town in boost drinking fuel.
With my supercharger conversion from TTS came a 20mm bypass. I ran it from the start and it did the job. The spring load on this valve can be manual set so on part throttle it s open and as soon as you open throttle it closes. On that part i had no issues, it vents enough on part throttle on my bike. When i pushed the charger to it s max. input rpm @ max engine revs by changing the pulley ratio, i noticed when closing throttle from WOT above 7500rpm i sometimes noticed some pressure release through the charger . And i m running the smaller C30 74 charger i.o the C30 94. If you want the valve out of sight on the BKing you have to find room somewhere under the fuel tank , which is a bit more challenging with the big 50mm valves compared to the tiny 20mm bypass . But in the end it seems to work out well with this plenum, either with the up pipe coming left or right side of the bike.

Since the compressor is driven off the motor, doesn't this pressure you are dumping lower the engine performance? With a turbo, the compression is essentially free. Also is the supercharged engine easier to ride hard than a turbo?

Since the compressor is driven off the motor, doesn't this pressure you are dumping lower the engine performance? With a turbo, the compression is essentially free. Also is the supercharged engine easier to ride hard than a turbo?
I've read there is parasitic hp loss from having to drive the blower but the power is more linear.

There must be some reason a company like Kawasaki chose the supercharger over turbo...they have a ginormous R&D team.

Imo there s not much of a difference in engine performance were the bypass is openend and you re running out of boost. The charger is driven and flowing air but there s not a serious amount of power needed to turn it because there s no back pressure. But it will take some power, that s for sure. An exhaust gas turbo is not flowing like a set of quality N.A headers and will affect gasflow negativ. But nothing to worry about in both cases.
The supercharger as we use, centrifugal, performes almost like a NA engine, more revs means more air flow and more power. You cannot get the big hp and torque numbers at lower revs like when you load a turbo at that point because air flow is limited by charger rpm.

Second plenum is also finished.
Next up will be designing a bracket for the Rotrex mount and drive.
I already messured the first side hole pattern of the standard 'cover starterclutch'. Now i can design a fixture plate to messure the second side of the cover. Also made a print of the standard cap contour to scan into the designprogram to get the right shape for the design.

20210126_181917.jpg

20210207_144734.jpg

20210207_144721.jpg

20210129_204636.jpg

Back