Rotrex Busa Dragbike , TTS C38 low boost setup ...

Plan9

Registered
Hello to all,

A project finally made to track. I bought Rotrex-kit stage 3 from Richard mid-winter. Asked for a low boost setup to learn to handle the power gradually...
Bike was naturally aspirated drag bike (for 9.5 index class) last summer. It has FT550 ECU, MTC Multistage G2 clutch, runs E85 fuel.
So, I decided to install a supercharger , and got a C38 from TTS Performance last february . Some months of modifications , new exhaust, complete cooling system and some smaller things got it running.
After a couple of hours of dyne time , we got a rainy weekend at race track . Clutch setup is far from decent , even further from good . No chance to do any setup changes, rain spoiled almost whole weekend.
My new class aims for 8.5 seconds. My best pass was sunday morning , 8.956 / 159 mph. Clutch was setup for NA busa engine ... Lousy 60' time 1.7sec , I have to raise 2-step revs at least 1000rpm higher , to get more boost to start ...

Onboard video :
Camera got some 'Flag'-effect , sorry. Some image correction was active...

Best regards
Plan 9 Racing
Janne , from Finland :)

_E6A2032.jpg

Hello to all,

A project finally made to track. I bought Rotrex-kit stage 3 from Richard mid-winter. Asked for a low boost setup to learn to handle the power gradually...
Bike was naturally aspirated drag bike (for 9.5 index class) last summer. It has FT550 ECU, MTC Multistage G2 clutch, runs E85 fuel.
So, I decided to install a supercharger , and got a C38 from TTS Performance last february . Some months of modifications , new exhaust, complete cooling system and some smaller things got it running.
After a couple of hours of dyne time , we got a rainy weekend at race track . Clutch setup is far from decent , even further from good . No chance to do any setup changes, rain spoiled almost whole weekend.
My new class aims for 8.5 seconds. My best pass was sunday morning , 8.956 / 159 mph. Clutch was setup for NA busa engine ... Lousy 60' time 1.7sec , I have to raise 2-step revs at least 1000rpm higher , to get more boost to start ...

Onboard video :
Camera got some 'Flag'-effect , sorry. Some image correction was active...

Best regards
Plan 9 Racing
Janne , from Finland :)

View attachment 1651841

With all that going against you, and you still got into the 8's first time out, I'de be happy...especially knowing how much more it's got in it.

Thanks, Richard !

We changed belt pulleys a bit since beginning of June. Low compression was an attempt to go racing without expensive engine parts ... At low belt ratios (85/100mm and 85/90mm) , supercharger was actually helping busa breath, boosting it was not (ok, 0,6bar (9psi) was the MAP reading). We changed pulley to ratio 1:1, and it completely changing the engine to a different beast !

Our hometown race was supposed to be European Champ race at former AFB Kauhava, but different reasons it was only Finnish Championship and EDRS event, shame... For once we had the best weather Finland had to offer: all four days , over 30c ! Three days qualifying , one for eliminations !

Some adjusting to new setup for me, never had a bike to pull wheelies first AND second gear, this one liked to lift with third gear too. Once I got settled somehow , I knew I've got a fast bike on my hands. Best was 8.38, well under index. Had to change gear changes a bit to hold the bike down...

My class was biggest of whole competition , we had 18 bikes !
In 3 days we had 15 rounds of qualifying , a friend of mine made a perfect run , 8.500 seconds, and got quali pos1 .
I got 8.504 at qualifying , then some other passes were .508 .517 .531 .535 . 2nd place in qualifying .

Sunday eliminations started with s 8.506 against a breakout . Just followed her , had a feeling she was going fast.
Cleared second round with ease, had a BYE third round. Bike wheelied a bit more saturday afternoon, tried to settle it to sunday, failed with changes. Actually made it worse...
Well , semi-final , lost it at the tree , lousy reaction with a nice wheelie .
OK, Third place at 18 bike class is not bad for second race, with this amount of changes with the bike.

We have two Championship events left for this season , late august and early september. Keeping fingers crossed weather won't spoil both ?!?

Quali run 8.504

Two weeks later , same track . Testing at Street Car event...
8.587 / 275,99kmh 171.5mph

_E6A4587_2000px.jpg

Looks strong and consistent. The fastest I ever did was back in 2007 with a 8.01/186. Stock chassis, 66 wheel base, 10 kg of lead on the front axel. Thats now illegal now. I would love to build an all out short neck etc super street bike just to see how fast I could go but time is against me. Keep up the good work, flying the supercharger flag :)

Thanks,
I have close to 16psi of boost at 11500rpm.
First try was about 10psi , but with c38 charger and comp.ratio lowered, bike was not running properly. My problems were mainly with drag clutch, engine was not making enough power to make the clutch slip at start...

But with 15-16 psi , bike is a different animal ;)

_E6A7438_small.jpg

The way to reduce power is just limit the throttle angle. I have made PW2 throttle angles max 40% in first, 60% in second and 75% in third. This makes launching the bike much easier. But there is no reason why you can't limit the tb in all gears to keep power down. 40% is about 200whp.

A new video from Finland...
Done some clutch setup mistakes this summer, pneumatic gear change timing was off , a radiator nearly exploded, due to head gasket leak ...
Fairly decent race this last one. Made my PB on 60ft and 1/4 ET, way too fast for 8.5 index bike .
All and all this is a Very Nice bike to race. Once you can understand the motor driven clutch and it's setup is in the zone...
A friend made a Kwak12R with a Rotrex C30 , looking forward to race him head-to-head ! The sound must be something :cool:

Keeping Supercharger Flag up, Janne from Finland...

How much power is your bike doing now?

Please share updates with us! :)
I had 310 hp / 10500rpm @ rear wheel
over 150 lb ft between 7000-11000rpm

Clutch setup was better at the end of season, but gearbox 'gremlins' came back...
At last race I was killing power with ign. advance at 1st gear , from 8krpm upwards. Bike was just wheeling and climbing @70mph.

I'll have to cut frame rails for next summer and move my own weight a couple inches forward .
New 'tank cover' and tail came from iOnemoto/Catalyst this week. Both subframes to do. My plan is to move front fairing forward an inch or two to make room for my helmet and my knees. Supercharger is between front wheel and crankcase, necking the frame is not an option, maybe some fine tuning of triple tree offset ?!

One quali pass from last race, bit rainy weekend , temp was only 15c. Got only a few passes between rains.

It was a bit sad to 'kill' engine above 8500rpm @1st gear (ign adv 30+ btdc to 16 ), but we had a plan to modify the seat position for next summer. So we decided it was easier to just manage the last race with slow 1st gear , and not to hassle with height sensor and it's setup (too much) yet. Since the setup was going to be changed, a lot ... 1/3 of the weight is moving 10 inches forward.
Looking forward to next season, got a couple of 1.35x 60ft's last season. Aiming to get those to 1.28x to 1.30x , then I'd have to change class to 7.500 index :banana:

@powerfulone , I know there is potential for a lot more ... It is a big step from 8.5 to 7.5 second class, 8.5's are all street bike chassis's, @7.5's there is a couple of FunnyBikes , tuned down SSB's and a couple of upmapped 8.5sec bikes...

IMG_0588.jpg

IMG_0496 2.JPG

IMG_0286 1.JPG

IMG_0270.JPG

Busa wire loom weight is 3.9 kg, about 8.5lbs. Without most sensors and stuff. Fuse and relay holders included...

Made plugs to original secondary injector holes from 1/8" brass plugs . Secondary injectors are moving to plenum.
This summer I had a capacity of 1150cc / piston , duty cycle was reaching 80% with both sets of injectors.
New injectors are capable of 1870cc / piston ... Burning E85 ethanol , and not lean mix , just to be on the safe side of things we CAN control.

This injector upgrade means old fuel rail is for sale, most of fuel lines have to be made from pump upwards...
All fuel line parts are big, distances are short between pump, rails and regulator... More gray hairs :D

IMG_0534.jpg

IMG_0642.jpg

IMG_0656.jpg

Busa wire loom weight is 3.9 kg, about 8.5lbs. Without most sensors and stuff. Fuse and relay holders included...

Made plugs to original secondary injector holes from 1/8" brass plugs . Secondary injectors are moving to plenum.
This summer I had a capacity of 1150cc / piston , duty cycle was reaching 80% with both sets of injectors.
New injectors are capable of 1870cc / piston ... Burning E85 ethanol , and not lean mix , just to be on the safe side of things we CAN control.

This injector upgrade means old fuel rail is for sale, most of fuel lines have to be made from pump upwards...
All fuel line parts are big, distances are short between pump, rails and regulator... More gray hairs :D

View attachment 1672674

View attachment 1672675

View attachment 1672676
Hi. What fuel pump are you using??

Hi. What fuel pump are you using??
Currently using AEM 400lph, probably too powerful... I was using a Chinese copy of 044, with NA setup , stated 300lph (?!). No troubles with that , upgraded when engine was charged. Just to be 'sure' ....

Dropped the engine this evening, just to find the gearbox gremlin :confused:
Kinda hoping it's torque issue with driveshaft... 150 lb ft or more from 7000 to 11000rpm... Nothing is wrong or worn , little bit shiny contacts as expected . Engine was used as road bike 30k kilometres (19k miles ) before me.
I ordered a Robinson driveshaft and a support bearing for it. Hopefully it solves the GB issues for good.

Fuel lines are sorted, (not done) but a decent strategy is made :D. Pressure regulator is hanging the air...

Hoping for a better next year , and season ...

Janne

IMG_0803.jpg

IMG_0804.jpg

Back