Rotor Corrosion?

OB_Kid

Registered
On my bike, only 5 weeks old, 600 miles, both front rotors, both sides, have corroded, caused by interaction of pads as they lay against the rotors, especially if pads get damp. (The bike hasn't seen rain yet, so must be through washing it.) Running a fingernail across the rotor surfaces reveals the pitting. Simply getting eaten away. Suzuki are aware of this problem but are prepared to do nothing. Say it has no detrimental effect on braking. Garbage. How can an imperfect surface provide perfect braking? Besides this, the rotors look terrible. (If they do this after 5 weeks, what will they be like after after 5 months ?) Suggest every owner friction dries the pads before garaging, or changes the original pads, or helps me to get Suzuki to act responsibly. Suzuki customer service? Satisfaction? Assurances? Well, it all magically disappears. Surprise, surprise. If anyone can help me put pressure on Suzuki over this I would be grateful.

Wow,

What a post. Maybe you could enlighten us on how to make an iron rotor that doesn't rust when exposed to humidity or water? I would sure like to know.

Oh, you say simple. Add above 12% chromium to it. Well bingo, now you have stainless and now you have much more difficult (hence expensive) machining. Or maybe we could cut half (or more) of the weight, get more friction and no corrosion by using a metal matrix composit rotor. Again, i think they may be a little procey. But if ya want some MMC rotors I am sure I can get ya someone to make them.

-Dana

Maybe the easiest way is to ask Honda how they make their rotors for the CBRXX and just copy that. Or, there again....
maybe in 6 months time I won't have any rotors left to worry about anyway.

Back