EBC rotors and ceramic brake pads...

Over_Easy

GEO-STABILIZATION EXPERT
Donating Member
Registered
The wife drives a 2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe w/ the Brembo brake, 18" wheel performance package, 6 SPD manual, 36+K miles.

Needs new rotors and pads up front and pads only for the rear. Dealer wanted $1,350.00 just for the front Brembo OE solid (not slotted or cross drilled) rotors and brake pads...comes to over $500.00 per rotor!!!

The guy at the dealer told me that their prices are inflated and I could find replacement parts myself and they would simply charge for the labor.

I ended up getting a pair of EBC Sport Rotors from Auto Parts Wharehouse E-bay store for $178.00 (normally $245.00) + free shipping!!!

FRONT EBC BRAKE DISC SET -- (Set Includes 2 Rotors, One Left And One Right), Drilled And Slotted Sport Rotors, Gold, Dimpled Hole Construction, Wider Slots Expel Gases And Stay Cooler, Gold Zinc Coated To Prevent Corrosion. 12.8 Inch Diameter.

I'm familiar w/ EBC motorcycle brakes, but not for cars...anyone familiar w/ these?

EBC_ROTORS_gold.jpg

I also got two pair (F/R) of the EBC Red Stuff Ceramic Brake pads at $66.64 a pair.  First time going w/ ceramic pads.

REVIEW: This is a truly impressive fast road pad for repeated heavy braking. It emits far less dust than semi-metallic pads and has been proven to stop a passenger car/sedan/sport compact/hot hatch 13 metres quicker than OEM pads from 100mph/160kph.

Features EBC Brake-InTM surface coating which conditions rotor surface and accelerates pad bed-in.

Nominal friction coefficient 0.5 with approx. 50% dust reduction compared to other pads.

redstuffpad.jpg

I have seen them many times in my searches and have read a lot of reviews that seem to be in favor of them.
I want upgrade the brakes on my 05 RAM when the time comes....because the big dodge brakes are known for warping....they sure stop well, but once they get really hot (like in towing) they can get nasty really quick.

A couple of other sites that I keep an eye on are:

http://brakewarehouse.com/

http://www.raceshopper.com/sp_rotor_application.shtml

http://www.powerstopbrakes.com/

http://www.powerslot.com/

I wish I could offer some experiences with them ...but for now it's just the links.

Let us know how they work out ....and remember that they need to be "bedded" just like any other pad/rotors set.

beerchug.gif

Hello H,

Any pics from our ride last Friday?

Bedding them in is just simple driving break-in right?

Ceramic pads put out very little dust (been a problem w/ this braking system) but are not as quiet from my understanding.

QUOTE:
"All EBC coloured range pads - green, red and yellow - are high mileage compounds. and you cannot expect their optimum performance straight out of the box. Brake effect will be GOOD and certainly SAFE but not at their BEST. Pads need to be bedded in geometrically which could take 400-600 miles, even on new rotors and after that pads have to final cure chemically which can take another 1000 miles."

The pads are bigger than the Brembo OE pads, but compatible according to EBC.

UPDATE: Just read this - educational.

In Street use situations …
Bedding in when the red EBC surface coating (marked on the pads as Brake In) is applied.
Best procedure is to drive gently avoiding harsh braking unless in an emergency for first 100 miles. In the second 100 miles (up to 200) you can use gently increasing brake pressures when using the brakes.
Only after 200 miles urban driving (not 200 miles on a freeway where brakes are almost unused) should you attempt to apply heavy load and heat to the brakes. To do this final bedding on a QUIET ROAD in safe traffic apply the brakes and slow from 60 to 10 MPH five times in a row. Then drive slowly for a few minutes if safe to do so to allow the brakes to cool. Try to avoid coming to a rest whilst the brakes are heated.
A smell may be noticed from the warm brakes, this is normal. Repeat this procedure a second time after the brakes have TOTALLY cooled down. EBC pads get better with miles. Even after this bed in procedure it can take up to 1500 miles before the pads are at their best. In the meantime the pads will be good and safe but true potential not realised. EBC makes performance pads that last, they do not bed in within 5 minutes driving. Noises will be more likely during the first 1000-1500 miles use whilst this chemical bedding takes place.

EBC is a big well established company. I don't directly use any of their products but I wouldn't be concerned with choosing them.

(BusaCruise @ Feb. 01 2007,12:30)
(Over_Easy @ Feb. 01 2007,14:08) Hello H,

Any pics from our ride last Friday?
guess you missed this thread?
Doh! Just saw em'. Actually had brought my camera as well but saw you had yours, so...

Didn't even know you were taking those pics you sneaky bastid.

Late.

Back