rotor taper

Commuta_Busa

Donating Member
Registered
Was messing around with the thickness of a few brake rotors and was wondering if anyone else noticed a slight taper between the inside edge to the outside edge. I'm strictly talking about the the surface on the brake rotor where the brake pads come in contact. Anyone measure this? I've got a consistent taper of .002"

No but its a lazy afternoon and it sounds like something fun to do.
I'll get back to you !

FYI I have OEMs with 4300 miles on them.

Which way does taper go in and do you think its just that pistons dont fit exactly inside caliper just a 'tit' and that allows them to rock and put more pressure on one side than the other ?

Last edited:
.002 is two thousandths of an inch. The pad wear will more than make up for the that taper amount. The piston won't even notice it once the pads are bedded in.

yea, there's no problem with the braking so the pads have easily bedded into this taper. I was just curious if anyone else ever noticed this. I'm wondering if it's an AP racing design or more common.

Blanca - The rotors taper to the outside diameter. So it's a 0.002" thicker on the inner diameter and tapers out.

Maybe a common wear pattern....... outside travels farther.... faster...... more heat ..... more wear???

just guessing

Back