Riding to Colorado

CrashTestDanny

Registered
Well, when I heard the news that Mom was having surgery this coming Friday, there was no question about it - I was on my way to see her. Her cancer is nowhere close to life-threatening. It's classified as stage 2 non-agressive and is an almond sized lump. But that's not why I'm making the trip. to be brief, I'm making the trip because I realied that in the 24 years since I left home to go to College, I've made the trip to see Mom way too few times.

I live in Wentzville, MO, and Mom lives in Ft. Collins, CO. 875 miles is the shortest route, but I planned two options from KC, MO to allow for a SS1k, but decided very early against it. I finally left the house at about 5:30am - about half an hour later than I had planned. As soon as the sun came out, the temp climbed rapidly to the century mark. Before I had gone 100 miles I realized that I would be needing to stop much more frequently than the 3 hour intervals I had planned. I found myself stopping to refill my camelback and cool down my gas tank every 1.5 hours or so, which really added to the trip.

I also knew that with that much heat, too much food could be a killer, too. So during the trip I stuck to beef jerky and two granola bars. Gatorade at every other stop and water at every stop kept me hydrated. I finished the drive in about 15 hours total - a little slow because of all the hydration stops - and was absolutely whipped when I arrived. However, I was not badly dehydrated, thanks to all the hydration stops.

I spent a couple hours with Mom and my sister and her son watching the Denver/SF game and catching up and recuperating and then headed out to Poudre Canyon. The cabin is not luxurious by any stretch - little better than a tent to be honest, but it's right on the Poudre River, which makes the location fantastic IMHO. There's a rapids right there and that makes for a nice relaxing night's sleep for me.

I didn't take any pics of Kansas or of the drive into Colorado, but I'm working on some video of the roads around here - already made one of the road from Ft. Collins to Poudre Canyon, where I'm staying, and I'll try to get some pics of the ST in the mountains for you, too.

Today I plan to ride through Estes park - right after lunch. I'll try to get a few stills to post up. The videos probably won't get posted before my return.

I did take a couple pics of the ST in the garage loaded for the trip in case y'all are interested.

DIGI0008_web.JPG

Hope your Mom is doing well and I'm glad you got out there to see her...

I visited Estes Park when I was out there last...just awesome...
smile.gif
Take pics and give your Mom our best!!!

Hit me up on IM if you want to meet up for a ride here in Denver and I hope your mom is doing better...

glad you had a safe trip
beerchug.gif
prayers sent for your Mom

like the scripture verse on the side.....very nice testimony while out on the rode.....great paint job too.....much more uplifting than fire or skull and crossbones....!!!

Hope you find your mom doing okay.

--Wag--

Mom is doing well - thanks for all your prayers and well wishes for her.

Yesterday afternoon I rode up to Rocky Mountain National Park and across Trail Ridge Road (reputed to be the highest paved road in the US. I was a little disappointed to find that much of it actually was not paved due to construction. There were long traffic delays and the Winebago drivers really don't like to let a bike by - so I've got plenty of slow-moving video footage with great scenery spoiled by a cage in the middle of the fram... Ah well, maybe next time through I can correct that. Today I'm probably just going to take a short ride near Ft. Collins and then tomorrow try to get up to Mt. Evans.

Here's a pic from the lookout just below the climb into the top section of the park. This is right around 11k ft, but the signage didn't give exact elevation.

DIGI0026_web.JPG

By the by... not sure how the Busas fare up here, but the ST was puffing and wheezing the whole time. Every time I stopped above 11k feet, she died out on me... Sure was nice to get back down below the 2-mile marker.

Yesterday I had a great ride down Rist Canyon Road to Masonville! Then went all around Horsetooth reservoir and into Ft. Collins. Didn't get many pics, but should have some good video from it. I'll get that edited and posted when I get home.

Today I'm sitting in the hospital's waiting room while Mom's having her surgery. Probably won'y get much riding in today...

(CrashTestDanny @ Aug. 15 2007,14:30) By the by... not sure how the Busas fare up here, but the ST was puffing and wheezing the whole time.  Every time I stopped above 11k feet, she died out on me...  Sure was nice to get back down below the 2-mile marker.
Is the ST carbureted ? By the way I love CO !

Doctor just came out to let us know that the surgery went exactly according to plan. The lump is gone and the affected lymph nodes are also gone. She's recovering now and we'll be going up to see her in a few minutes.

Thanks to all who have been praying for her!

Being an LD rider I want to congradulate  
beerchug.gif
you on USING YOUR HEAD for more than putting a helmet on. Knowing your limitations and adjusting your trip according to the weather conditions shows a very mature rider (Also a Very Smart One) ! Glad your trip went well  and Yeah you do get tired. You just get ALOT more tired with all this
firedevil.gif
HEAT

Ya Did Good  
super.gif

Glad to hear you mom is doing well. Take care of yourself on the way home. Do you know when you will be coming back through KC? You are welcomed to take a break here at my house or stay overnight and get some rest if you would like.

Back