Colorado Trip

BusaWhipped

Donating Member
Registered
3 years ago, I set out on an epic journey with one of the best friends I've every had. Our plans were to ride old Rt 66 from St Louis MO to Albuquerque NM, then I was heading north into Colorado to ride the Million Dollar highway before finding my way back home. As many of you know, I ended up getting very sick and found myself in an Albuquerque hospital. Luci was trailered back home while I was hospitalized and I ended up coming home in a cage.

Here's the thread from that trip.
https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gene.../152421-rt-66-adventure-updated-pictures.html

On 5/4/2014, Luci was loaded up on a trailer and dropped off at WAGs in Rio Rancho NM where I parkedr her last before going into the hospital. LCB and I finished the ride up the Million Dollar Highway from Albuquerque and spent a couple of days riding the Rockies before returning to WAGs to load back up on the trailer and come home. Thanks for the hospitality and rig sitting WAG.

The good.
- Getting to tour with LCB
- Getting to see WAG and Nan again.
- Getting to ride the Million Dollar Highway, checking off a 25 year bucket list entry.
- Getting to see The Arches, The Colorado National Monument and riding all of the great mountain roads.

The bad
- Broke my glasses less than an hour before leaving. Had to do the entire trip wearing my reading glasses.
- Don't have the New Mexico, Colorado, or Utah maps in the Garmin. Because of a data error and the maps expiring, I couldn't get them loaded.
- My phone charging/data port went bad on day 3 of 5. I was able to limp along with minimal use until day 5 when it completely died.
- Couldn't get into Dead Horse Point even with the Park Pass
- Riding in sleet and snow riding over the mountains when returning to New Mexico from Colorado
- Luci's cruise control not working which was somewhat a factor with the Ugly.

The Ugly
- Getting pulled over for speeding in Colorado.

I have the ride organized into a few photo albums. You do not need a face book account to view them.

2014 Colorado Trip
2014 Million Dollar Highway
2014 Colorado National Monument
2014 The Arches National Park

Things I learned on this trip:

Dennis doesn't like heights - at all
Dennis can ride quite well, even without his glasses
Dennis loves the uphill twisties but the downhill?... not so much
Dennis really misses his cruise control
Visiting with good folks like Wag & Nanette is worth every minute
Being part of someone finally getting to do something they've been dreaming of doing for years is a good feeling
Good times and a good trip do not require good weather - just ride thru the bad stuff

Dennis, thanks for a great trip... where to next?

Oh - and a huge "THANK YOU" to Trish AKA Mrs BusaWhipped for being the super-great person she is!

I'm very jealous. That's one of the places that I've always wanted to ride. Very beautiful country, thanks for sharing your experience and pictures.

Great pics. I know you had a great time. And the pictures do not do the landscape justice. The rock formations are just so huge, its hard to really understand unless you have seen them in person. I am glad you got to finish your trip. :)

Great pics. I know you had a great time. And the pictures do not do the landscape justice. The rock formations are just so huge, its hard to really understand unless you have seen them in person. I am glad you got to finish your trip. :)

Thanks. And so true about having to see it in person. The scale of everything is hard to imagine and impossible to convey in pictures.

Things I learned on this trip:

Dennis doesn't like heights - at all
Dennis can ride quite well, even without his glasses
Dennis loves the uphill twisties but the downhill?... not so much
Dennis really misses his cruise control
Visiting with good folks like Wag & Nanette is worth every minute
Being part of someone finally getting to do something they've been dreaming of doing for years is a good feeling
Good times and a good trip do not require good weather - just ride thru the bad stuff

Dennis, thanks for a great trip... where to next?

If it's later in the year, the east side of Colorado and the higher elevations...

Back