Heading to Colorado...

CrashTestDanny

Registered
I'm heading out to Ft. Collins, Colorado for a few days next week. Anyone got any road recommendations for me while I'm there?

Not for the Ft Collins area, but if you get into the mountains check this out.

The ride; from Vail to Minturn, Leadville, Twin Lakes and over Independence Pass into Aspen, Glenwood Springs and back to Vail. 200 of the most awesome miles I've logged in Colorado. FYI, the leg from Twin Lakes over Independence Pass into Aspen is legendary. Many, many 10mph switchbacks, and a good road so narrow that they don't even paint a center line. Also, it is so remote and high (elevation) that the Colorado department of roads doesn't even try to maintain it in the winter.. ..., when it starts snowing, they simply close it down. In a word, AWESOME!!

Oh, I'm headed there Friday am for 4-6 days.

I'm heading across CA, NV, UT and WY to Laramie and then dropping into CO for a ride thru Estes Park and over the Trail Ridge Rd at 12,000'+ into Steamboat Springs. Never been there and except for low flying across all those desert flat ass no tree in sight states, I'm looking forward to it. Will be there from the 22nd thru the 25th.

(SLA1500 @ Aug. 08 2007,19:23) Not for the Ft Collins area, but if you get into the mountains check this out.

The ride;  from Vail to Minturn, Leadville, Twin Lakes and over Independence Pass into Aspen, Glenwood Springs and back to Vail.  200 of the most awesome miles I've logged in Colorado.   FYI, the leg from Twin Lakes over Independence Pass into Aspen is legendary.  Many, many 10mph switchbacks, and a good road so narrow that they don't even paint a center line.  Also, it is so remote and high (elevation) that the Colorado department of roads doesn't even try to maintain it in the winter.. ...,  when it starts snowing, they simply close it down.   In a word, AWESOME!!

+1 all day, you know what... +2

That section of Colorado is beautiful, and the roads there are literally legendary (as you said).

Independence pass is famous, just watch your speed unless you like to kiss fender.

And the Leadville ride is just as popular, a little more famous for the cruisers in the area.

Check out Estes Park, and Mt. Evans. Rode that area at Meet & greet 1. Very nice.

Any road that leads into Estes Park is sweet.If you do Trail Ridge Road,bring warm clothing it gets chilly up near the top.A nice ride is a "peak to peak highway",can start out at either end, Central City/Blackhawk or Estes Park.From Central City it's CO 119 into Nederland then continue on CO 72 to CO 7 into Estes.Or CO 7 from Estes to 72 to 119 into Central City.You can get into Estes from Ft Collins by taking I25 sb to 34wb(Loveland),nice ride but gets congested.
Also there are some roads along 119 and 72 that are very nice for canyon carving.Such as 119 from Nederland into Boulder(Boulder canyon).CO 72 from 119 to 93.And CO 46 from 119 into Golden(Golden Gate Canyon Park).There's also a nice road off CO 72 at the town of Ward that goes into Boulder(Left Hand Canyon).
There's a nice loop that you can start out from in Estes Park.You can take Hwy 36 to Lyons and then comeback into Estes by way of CO 7.The view coming down the mountain from 7 into Estes is sweet.

(CrashTestDanny @ Aug. 08 2007,12:13) I'm heading out to Ft. Collins, Colorado for a few days next week.  Anyone got any road recommendations for me while I'm there?
I live here and there are thousands of roads you can take...

I would take I-25 To I-36 Heading To Boulder.

Once in BOulder, take a left on canyon rd, which is about 3 stop lights into Boulder on I-36.

Take Canyon Rd. Through Boulder Canyon To Netherlands.

Take Estes Park Turn In Middle of Netherlands.

Go to Estes Park and Possibly Rocky Mountain National Park.

Drive back I-36 from Estes Park Back To Boulder (Not same road you took to get there.) and continuing on to Denver, hoping I-25 and going back to Fort Collins...
biggrin.gif

Hit me up on PM, I will drop you my number if you want...

Cloud

(SLA1500 @ Aug. 08 2007,21:23) Not for the Ft Collins area, but if you get into the mountains check this out.

The ride;  from Vail to Minturn, Leadville, Twin Lakes and over Independence Pass into Aspen, Glenwood Springs and back to Vail.  200 of the most awesome miles I've logged in Colorado.   FYI, the leg from Twin Lakes over Independence Pass into Aspen is legendary.  Many, many 10mph switchbacks, and a good road so narrow that they don't even paint a center line.  Also, it is so remote and high (elevation) that the Colorado department of roads doesn't even try to maintain it in the winter.. ...,  when it starts snowing, they simply close it down.   In a word, AWESOME!!

I've ridden that route, in a bit different order. Nice

Black Canyon of the Gunnison is pretty nice area to ride in as well.

I don't remember the exact route, but I do remember well highway 92 From Hotchkiss, through Crawford, and then back to Gunnison.

I also remember scraping the ice off the seat of my bike before heading out most mornings. Renting a cabin at 10,000 feet does have a couple of drawbacks.

3000 mile trip, was a blast!

Man I'm so jealous, I used to live in Seattle, Florida roads just can't compare. When I was moving across I saw some gorgeous roads in Colorado.

Vic

Is that the one where you can walk down a little (long) path for a better view?

If so, I was so out of breath it almost was not worth the walk.
smile.gif
Man that air was thin there!

I bet that guy in the background of the picture wished he had worn longer pants!

yep, another 50" up. I was not going there. it was 40F and windy. You can see some snow left. That guy in the background must be native Coloradian, they wore short in Feb. That day was 100F in Denver.

Busa has no power left, only 20% O2 left at that elevation.

Another place I went that was interesting was the Alpine tunnel near Pitkin/Cuberland pass area. It is a 1700' tunnel built in the late 1800s for narrow gauge steam railroad.

palisades1.jpg

Looks more like this when I saw it.
alpine-tunnel2.jpg

It was a rough road to go up there (the old railroad bed). Not for those worried about scratching a bike.
If I did it again it would be on a  dual sport or a goat!

t-rockyroad.jpg

The stone was all hand laid (Dry Stacked) by chinese workers. Good work because it is still in place.

Back