Riding tips learned at the track

Light hands!!!

Don't muscle it, go with the flow...
Hey people, I by NO MEANS am on the street trying to drag a knee, but it feels like I'm having to muscle through tight turns, what am I, or could I be doing wrong ?
Sounds like you may be too tense with your arms and hands. Are you fighting the turn in with the outside hand?
The Busa is always going to require more muscle than a 1000/750/600. So when you iniate the turn you may not have light hands, that's OK, your iniating input. Its after your leaned over in a turn that your hands must be light, light. A lot of people keep their hands in a deathgrip at all times.

9000 rpms is not good launching on a crappy track...

wait y'all are talking about those twisty kind of tracks
tounge.gif

The best tip I can give a street rider is take those earphones out of your helmet and give them a toss at tripple digits!

If you rob 30% of your attention span with music, that only leaves 70% to work with. If you trim another 30% for a safety buffer that only leaves 40% of your attention to apply to riding skills. As we all know when you aren't paying attention, bad shitz happen.

The best tip I can give a street rider is take those earphones out of your helmet and give them a toss at tripple digits!

If you rob 30% of your attention span with music, that only leaves 70% to work with. If you trim another 30% for a safety buffer that only leaves 40% of your attention to apply to riding skills. As we all know when you aren't paying attention, bad shitz happen.
amen.... I like having the music.. but at interstate speeds my helmet is too noisy to hear anything anyways... so unplug and watch the dang road!

I have to disagree, my music helps me to relax and focus, with out it I am all over the place and a nervous rider. Just keep the music at a nice level that way it provides a nice backgroud while riding, but not so loud you cant hear traffic around you.

What is the proper thing to do when in a turn too fast? I know you are not suppose to hit the brakes because it will stand the bike up.

lean more, look through the turn, pray. I use breaks during a turn if needed EVER SO SLIGHTLY. NOT THE REAR BRAKE!! Front only. But if you look strait off where you think you are going to end up, that is where you end up. You bike can do more than YOU can, but the TRACK is really the best place to learn about that.

22. never use the rear brake. ever. done. only front.

yeah, yeah, I know what flaming this will cause, but on track, front brake is king. the rear don't exist. I do that on the street now. unless I'm hitting large patch of sand or ice, front only

yeah, yeah, I know what flaming this will cause, but on track, front brake is king.  the rear don't exist.
I got your back
thumb_up.gif

The little bit extra stopping power your rear gives is just not worth the high risk of using the rear brake in a maximum(panic/emergency) braking situation. Hello highside
hello.gif

What is the proper thing to do when in a turn too fast? I know you are not suppose to hit the brakes because it will stand the bike up.
Pull in the clutch and turn. You will be surprised how much speed will decrease as you go through the turn. Don't panic, turn the bike, the bike will do more than you think it can. Now that's easier said than done, speaking from experience.

yeah, yeah, I know what flaming this will cause, but on track, front brake is king. the rear don't exist.
I got your back
thumb_up.gif

The little bit extra stopping power your rear gives is just not worth the high risk of using the rear brake in a maximum(panic/emergency) braking situation. Hello highside
hello.gif
hehe thanks man. I agree with your highside scenario

now everybody viewing at home going, "hmmmm no rear brake eh? what do those track junkies know that my MSF instructors don't? hmmmmm" ;)

yeah, yeah, I know what flaming this will cause, but on track, front brake is king.  the rear don't exist.
I got your back  
thumb_up.gif

The little bit extra stopping power your rear gives is just not worth the high risk of using the rear brake in a maximum(panic/emergency) braking situation.  Hello highside  
hello.gif
hehe  thanks man.  I agree with your highside scenario

now everybody viewing at home going, "hmmmm no rear brake eh?  what do those track junkies know that my MSF instructors don't?   hmmmmm"   ;)
I'm all for using the rear brake, <span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>IF</span> you practice emergency/maximum braking at least once(1/2 session) every couple weeks.  Then you possess the skills to keep from highsiding.

Now how many riders, that don't do trackdays or race, practice this??

Almost none, there are exceptions, but very few.

I'm doing at least 13 trackdays this year and I am still not willing to risk the highside for the tiny bit extra the rear will give you.

Light hands!!!

Don't muscle it, go with the flow...
Hey people, I by NO MEANS am on the street trying to drag a knee, but it feels like I'm having to muscle through tight turns, what am I, or could I be doing wrong ?
Flat spot on rear tire slows turn in and makes the bike want to stand up. If your tires are good go with shorter dogbones for a 1"lift on the rear.

cheers
ken

Back